2013 NFL Whipping Post

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

As a lifelong Chiefs fan... woot! 8-0!!

Sorry, couldn't help it - I don't get to brag about my Chiefs very often :)
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Akasri wrote:As a lifelong Chiefs fan... woot! 8-0!!

Sorry, couldn't help it - I don't get to brag about my Chiefs very often :)
Nothing like being 'quietly' 8-0 :) Glad to hear it for KC... I love it that Alex Smith has brought the team what it needed. A real QB but also it would be justice for him to knock off SF after the way he was treated by them.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

I'm happy for Smith and Reid, as I've said repeatedly.

Turned on Denver/Wash, 21-7 Wash w/6 mins or so left in 3rd quarter. WTH?!?! Then I blink, it's 38-21 Denver. 'Skins couldn't do anything w/the ball but give it back to Broncos, either by 3 and out or TO.

Giants and Eagles played what must've been worst game of season? Thankfully I was busy and didn't even need an excuse to miss it. Giants, 5 FGs, Eagles offense - no points.

Megatron 329 yds? Amazing. A beast. Sorry Dez, you're not there yet. Probably never.

Falcons, join the NFC East as a complete meltdown year. Well, Eagles sucked last year, so not quite as abrupt as Giants, 'Skins and Falcons.

Maybe Bengals are no joke, but I put them w/Lions - I'll never buy it until they actually do something. Bengals won 2 playoff games last 2 years, but both over Texans, once w/backup QB.

Pats winning w/Brady playing pretty poorly. I think he has injured throwing hand? Not sure. Anyway, it's a good sign if their running game and def are pitching in. A healthy and on target Brady could make them contenders again. Can't see them winning in KC or Denver tho. Or even Indy.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Turned on Denver/Wash, 21-7 Wash w/6 mins or so left in 3rd quarter. WTH?!?! Then I blink, it's 38-21 Denver. 'Skins couldn't do anything w/the ball but give it back to Broncos, either by 3 and out or TO.
Inexplicably, Washington came out in the 2nd half and forgot their running game plans in the locker room. All they seemed capable of doing was letting RGIII try to air it out - not his strong suit, and it showed. Denver gave the 'skins 2 quick TOs which turned into 14 points, and Washington led 21-7. After that, Peyton stomped on the gas and it was all over.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Peter King, MMQB, si.com, wrote:
Stat of the Week

At some point, the NFL’s going to have to acknowledge the efficiency of field-goal kickers is just too good. And the league is either going to have to narrow the goalposts or put a different point value on field goals from different distances.

When kickers are making 19 of 20 field-goal tries, on average, from inside the 40-yard line (stunning but true) and two-thirds of their attempts beyond 50 yards (and they are: 45 of 68, or 66.2%), you know this isn’t what the game is supposed to be. Kicking field goals has just become too easy.

This easy, as the season nears the midpoint:

From inside the 40-yard line: 230 of 245, 93.9%.
From between the 40- and 49-yard line: 126 of 153, 82.4%.

And the biggest waste of time in sports is the point-after. Six were missed all season last year, and this year, only two of 524 have gone awry. It is positively insane that the NFL doesn’t either eliminate the PAT, move the snap way back from the 2-yard line, or force teams to go for two. Something. Anything. For years, it’s been a nothing play, and the Competition Committee refuses to do anything tangible about it.

I know some will say, “Wait until the weather turns. Then you’ll see the percentages go down.” And they will. But by how much? The field goal is simply not challenging enough. Do we want the game to be so boring, to lack any suspense, when a kicker steps up to make a field goal? I can tell you the founding fathers of this game never dreamed the kickers would be so great that they would be good on 87 percent of their field goals through nearly half a season.
I agree 100% that the PAT is useless. Either make TDs worth 7 points or leave them at 6, but for God's sake, do away with the PAT! But, efficiency of field goal kickers doesn't bother me.
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

SoulBiter wrote:Detroit took one away from the Cowboys in an incredible last second play at the goal line. Just a great game!!!

Bengals put 49 on the Jets and show they are no joke this year.

Falcons are trying out for worst defense in the league.... at this point I think a HS team could score on the Falcons. They just cant overcome all the injuries this year. Its time to rethink their tactics of just having a couple of high dollar play-makers and nothing else in the off-season and draft a defensive pass-rush and a couple of offensive line guys that can protect the QB. If there was any doubt in my mind that the year is over for the Falcons, it is gone now.
Dude, try out the jags for a bit.

for that matter, lets see, offensive coordinator came from.............................................................
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

no mention of Drew Brees throwing 5 td's?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Seahawks manage to avoid a loss to St. Louis (a city that did not have a good sport night Monday). Still atop the NFC, but lacking the record of the AFC leaders.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

The Seahawks really need that home field advantage, they just don't play as good on road. At least they're winning them tho.

Brees' 5 TDs was nice, but Dalton also had 5. And Peyton had 7 week 1, so it's not quite as impressive as 329 yds receiving, IMO.

I read PK's MMQB, and I too agreed about PAT. It's a useless play really. But he even somewhat contradicts himself about FG, as his goat of the week was a kicker, b/c he missed 2 FGs under 40. And those under 40, I wonder what the rate is in 4th quarter or OT? Does it go down? They get nervous and choke like any other player.
--Andy

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Only watched one game. Was busy with a community service project most of the day. Helped paint a house for The Fuller Center for Housing.

Falcons/Panthers game. The score doesn't reflect how close the game really was. Penalties... Having watched quite a lot of football this year and not just Falcons football, I am left wondering about some of the penalties. I know the NFL is trying to avoid injury but the penalties are getting out of control. There were 3 penalty calls in that game that left me scratching my head.

The Falcons defense did much better in this game and the O-line stepped up nicely. However Matt Ryan crapped it away with some poor decision making. Even with 2 picks leading into the 4th the score was close. Only a 7 point margin. Then Matt throws an easy read pick and its a 14 pt spread. Then he throws another right after that. This all goes to trying to force a play that isn't there. The only good I take out of this is that our Defense and O-line are finally gelling up.. but its too little too late. At this point any win for the Falcons this year is like a SB win for them.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Falcons, so surprising. What a disaster. Texans too.

I'm beginning to think the Colts are top contenders. They've had a pretty tough schedule, keep winning. Long way to go of course.

Saints losing at NYJ? What happened there? Much like Dalton, not a good way for Brees to follow up on 5TD game.

Nick Foles 7TD. WTH.

Good game from the Pats, very promising. What a diff Gronk makes when healthy, and Amendola looked good. But can they both stay healthy rest of year? And can defense continue to hold? Didn't look all that great yesterday.

Chiefs hold out, setting up huge game in Denver in 2 weeks, assuming Broncos win next week. I had Peyton on bench and needed Smith to come up w/decent game tho, 124 yds passing and nothing else. Bastard!!

And how about them Browns. They were just waiting for Mr Broken to give up. Ahead of Steelers and Ravens at mid point.
--Andy

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Matt Birk's absence at center is the heart of the problem with the Raven's offense. The O-line is simply not giving Flacco any time to throw the ball, nor are they giving Rice any lane to run through. With Pitta out, everyone's double-teaming Smith, and that takes away the vertical game.

Tandon Doss may be the AFC's top kick returner, but how the hell do you muff a punt at this level?

I could bitch about the terrible calls from the refs, but that's just petty at this point.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Look at the Steelers' offense after loss of Pouncey, their center. Maybe the most important position that is never talked about?
--Andy

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I was listening to a guy on the radio that made alot of sense of the Falcons issues. Basically the 'team' is missing 2 of 3 parts. Much of that is due to injury and depth. But that wasnt the part that caught my attention, it was the way he described the comparison of the last 8 games. Basically if the QB (Matt Ryan) is playing perfect, the Falcons are competitive and are at least put in position to win. But when he isnt, they arent. Most teams if the QB is having a bad day or even days they can lean on the running game. If the running game isnt as good as it needs to be, they can count on the defense. In this instance, if the 'pass first' offense isnt hitting on all cyclinders, then the running game cant help, and the defense isnt able to make stops and get turn overs.

He made examples of teams where they QB is hurt or the backup QB is put out there. If they have a good defense or running game, they are still able to compete. If the defense isnt good but they have a good pass/run they can put up enough score to overcome. But when you are missing more than one of the parts (Pass, run ,defense), then there is no way to compete in this league.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Bad news for GB fans.... Aaron Rogers has a broken collar bone. Possibly out for the season.
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

How about this Incognito/Martin affair. What a mess.
--Andy

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cybrweez wrote:How about this Incognito/Martin affair. What a mess.
Incognito seems to be a real POS.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Incognito was voted dirtiest nfl player one year. he was dirty back in college. he needs to banned for life and the Dolphins need to be punished.

Goodell claims player safety is his chief concern, he needs to prove it.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Most players seem to be backing his side tho.

How about dem Colts. WTH was that? Bigger shock than Jax actually winning.

Saints and Seahawks looked damn good tho. Broncos took care of biz, setting up what should be great game next week. Hope it's on TV, and I'm not stuck w/Giants and Jets.

Nick Foles, this year, 15TDs, 0INTs. Why would there be a controversy? Vick isn't long term, see what this guy can do when he's the man for rest of year.
--Andy

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Shocked the Colts lost.

Only the Titans could lose to Jacksonville this year. Pissed.

Denver had a good first half and a really ugly 2nd half. I can't understand all the praise for their defense. Am I watching the same team that everyone else seems to love so much?

Return to “Sports”