Illegal Aliens

Archive From The 'Tank
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Thing is, I don't believe that border security can ever be that efective. As long as people will hire illegals, they will keep trying to get in. And even if only 10% succeed every week, it'll add up quick.

Border security is for stopping drug runners and stuff like that. Controlling hiring practices, and punsihing infringements seriously, would do more than upping security.

If they can't get a job there, there's not much reason to try and jump the border.

--A
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

Avatar wrote:Thing is, I don't believe that border security can ever be that efective. As long as people will hire illegals, they will keep trying to get in. And even if only 10% succeed every week, it'll add up quick.

Border security is for stopping drug runners and stuff like that. Controlling hiring practices, and punsihing infringements seriously, would do more than upping security.

If they can't get a job there, there's not much reason to try and jump the border.

--A
I don't disagree. :)
"Humanity indisputably progresses, but neither uniformly nor everywhere"--Regine Pernoud

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol

Post by Avatar »

Interesting:
US To Accept Iraqi Refugees

Washington - The Bush administration plans to allow about 7 000 Iraqi refugees to settle in the United States over the next year, a huge expansion of a programme at a time when this country is facing international pressure to help some of the millions of refugees who have fled their battle-torn Mideast nation.

The United States has allowed only 463 Iraq refugees into the country since the war began.

A senior state department official described the expanded programme on condition of anonymity ahead of a formal announcement.

The administration also plans to pledge $18m for a worldwide resettlement and relief programme.

The United Nations high commissioner for refugees has asked for $60m from nations around the world.

Some 3.8m Iraqis have fled their country since the war began in March 2003.
--A
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

About time.

Post by Avatar »

Well, while from a humanitarian point of view I agree with you, it might not be a great idea from a strategic one.

How sure can you be that they're genuine refugees?

--A
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

absolutely. Taking away the reason will work much better than trying to prevent them.

Post by Avatar »

Absolutely agree.

--A
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I think it is definitely more than about time. I watched a news program the other day that said the interpretors we have been using are at risk for their lives, and we've done nothing for them. They have been helping us and interpreting for us, and now their lives are in danger, and we won't even take them in.

Certainly, we don't want to simply give a blanket acceptance of refugees, but, if someone has been helping us, and interpreting for us for 2 or 3 years, one would hope they aren't likely to come here and sabotage us.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Post by Avatar »

One would hope not.

I've suspected since not long after 9/11 that the terrorists just don't seem to be smart enough to go for ploys like that. Hope it's true.

--A
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

Well, I don't think there will be any differing opinions. People who've put themselves at risk for trying to at least plant the seeds of freedom(good soil or not, time will tell) certianly deserve to be a part of this country... best possible result is that they come here, learn from what America was, if not what it is, and return at some point to spread that to other people.
"Humanity indisputably progresses, but neither uniformly nor everywhere"--Regine Pernoud

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol

Post by Avatar »

Sure, I don't disagree...but this is sorta like the reverse of the Japanese internment camps in WWII isn't it?

--A
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

There's a big debate here right now about interpreters - translating for the Danish soldiers - wanting to immigrate to Denmark. All the officers say: "Hell yes! Let them come, they'll be dead the second we leave otherwise." The government however, still claiming that the campaign in Iraq has been a huge leap for democracy, insists that letting the interpreters leave the country would be taking away some of the more educated people that could really help rebuild it. I agree in principle, but this is where my pragmatism far outweighs my principles. Especially since they are not going to do much for Iraq without their heads attached to their shoulders!
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl

Post by Avatar »

Don't demean simple humanity by calling it pragmatism Prebe. ;)

--A

Return to “Coercri”