Cail's big honking Rush thread

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I know I won't be. The other '80's material will be way friendlier to Geddy's voice than Moving Pictures was in 2010. :biggrin:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Not EXACTLY on topic, but it might be worthwhile to watch the upcoming Hall of Fame inductions [though it's supposedly 5 hours long!...and I think only on HBO] because:
Perhaps the most notable sartorial surprise belonged to Foo Fighters, who made an appearance as a Rush tribute band, wearing wigs and white kimonos as they banged through some famous riffs before the real Rush came out and replaced them. The outfits represented a semi-inside reference to what Dave Grohl previously referred to in his induction speech as "the most infamous band photo of all time," a '70s shot in which Rush somehow managed to combine kimonos with embarrassingly skintight pants.
At least 80 percent of the paying audience appeared to have come strictly to see the Canadian prog-rock trio get their due. When Jann Wenner introduced the other acts at the beginning of the nearly five-hour show, there was polite applause for inductees Heart, Randy Newman, Public Enemy, Albert King, and Quincy Jones. But the words "And from Toronto..." precipitated a huge roar and minute-long standing ovation from most of the crowd.
As the midnight hour approached, Rush's induction had wisely been held for the climax of the show. Stepping to the podium to accept the honor after another earth-shaking roar from the crowd, drummer Neil Peart said, "We've been saying a few times this isn't a big deal. Turns out it kind of is!" He compared the acts who proceeded them into the Hall to a great constellation, adding, "Among them, we are one tiny point of light, shaped like a maple leaf."

Added singer Geddy Lee, "I have to say, this is a little overwhelming for a nice Jewish boy from Toronto," before he thanked his two cohorts for "the great pleasure of their mostly pleasant company for the past 40 years." Guitarist Alex Lifeson stole the show, though, with a speech that consisted solely of the words "blah blah blah" repeated in dramatic and comedic intonations for several minutes as he mimed his way through the history of the band leading up to that very moment.
For their part, the Hall of Fame organizers didn't seem to shy completely away from the long-running controversy over Rush's supposed snub in past years. The filmed reel that preceded the induction included a clip of Stephen Colbert interviewing Rush and referring to them as "yet to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Is there any chance your next album will be called This is Bulls***?"
Public Enemy seemed aware of the Rush-centric crowd. Referring to a DJ-focused part of the set they were about to perform, Chuck D promised the audience, "We'll get 'Tom Sawyer' and f*** it up!"
Heart also briefly played to the Rush fans during their acceptance speech, as original guitarist Roger Fisher looked to the hollerers in the balcony and pointed out, "Heart was born in Canada!"
[/b]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

About frick'in time eh?

:)

Got 3rd row center tickets to see them in KC this August - can't wait!!
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Rush was great; the 2nd set additions really surprised me. Alex flubbed the solo on The Pass a bit, but that's the only thing that wasn't perfect. I was surprised at how young the crowd was. It's really great to see that.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Looking forward to the show tomorrow night.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

Fly by Night was one of the few records I wore out playing in the late '70's. :D
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Another great show. Nice that they timed it so that we saw an "A" night this time.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Damn, that was lucky, Cail. I'm still waiting for July to experience my first concert this tour. I'm a little disappointed that they've swapped out Body Electric for Limelight. The deeper the cut, the better, imo.

But for me this tour is all about the Clockwork songs. I still love that album, even if I don't listen to it as much as I did at first. It will be weird seeing the tour a year after the CD came out. But at least I've had time to learn the music.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Zarathustra wrote:Damn, that was lucky, Cail. I'm still waiting for July to experience my first concert this tour. I'm a little disappointed that they've swapped out Body Electric for Limelight. The deeper the cut, the better, imo.

But for me this tour is all about the Clockwork songs. I still love that album, even if I don't listen to it as much as I did at first. It will be weird seeing the tour a year after the CD came out. But at least I've had time to learn the music.
No Limelight last night, we had Body Electric.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Here's the set they played in Orlando:

Set One:
Subdivisions
The Big Money
Force Ten
Grand Designs
Middletown Dreams
Territories
The Analog Kid
The Pass
Where's My Thing?
(with Drum Solo)
Far Cry

Set Two:
Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Halo Effect
(with guitar solo intro)
Wish Them Well
The Garden
Dreamline
Drum Solo
(The Percussor)
Red Sector A
YYZ
The Spirit of Radio

Encore:
Tom Sawyer
2112 Part I: Overture
2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx
2112 Part VII: Grand Finale
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Do they still have the string section for Set Two?

I'm seeing them in KC in August and was hoping to see that :)
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Yes. I didn't mention it because I didn't want to spoil the surprise, but chances are, everybody already knows.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

dAN, you had the better set I think.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Rush's entire catalog has been released in HD (96kHz/24bit) for digital download.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file ... il&id=9556

You have to buy entire blocks of albums. But I believe they will be released individually on CD eventually. I'm curious to see how Vapor Trails sounds.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Should be interesting.
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Nice! I'll have to look at that HDTracks site. A lot of my earlier Rush albums are on cassette tape still (and a couple on 8-trac even) and I don't have a player any more. Been slowly buying them on iTunes, but they are remasters and some just don't sound the same as I remember.

There are a couple early albums that I own on vinyl, 8-trac, cassette, and CD. I should get a discount if a new format comes out LOL
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Did y'all see their RnRHoF induction? Lerxt gave the best acceptance speech ever.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cail wrote:Did y'all see their RnRHoF induction? Lerxt gave the best acceptance speech ever.
I saw that, and except for the f'n Foo Fighters, Rush was definitely the highlight of the evening.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Cail wrote:Did y'all see their RnRHoF induction? Lerxt gave the best acceptance speech ever.
Very awesome indeed! I love Lerxst! :)

And I thought the Foo Fighters intro was hilarious as well! (a bit too much F word, but still funny overall)
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I finally saw the CA tour! Awesome show. The place was packed. We had the same setlist as Dan, I believe--a great collection of songs. the CA stuff was definitely the highlight. And it was fun to see the string section dancing, partying to the music. The only downside was some of the people there. I don't understand paying to go to a show and spending the entire time texting. So many cell phones in my face, blocking the view, lighting up the dark with little distracting windows of irrelevance. Why can't people be in the moment?

Oh well, all you can do is Wish Them Well. 8)

Return to “Vespers”