Win Wayfriend's Money

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Yep. That's what I'm looking for!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Savor Dam wrote:
StevieG wrote:Your philosophy of Tear down the Wall has a resonance to it that has always attracted me - it's music to my ears (so to speak).
However, I had never really associated Kevin with certain '80s superpower leaders before. :P
"'80's superpower leaders?"

I've never heard Pink Floyd referred to in that way before.
Although I admit there may be another reference in there which is going over my head.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Menolly wrote:I admit there may be another reference in there which is going over my head.
I hate to say this, Menolly, but if Ronald Reagan is going over your head, you're in trouble. :wink:
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Menolly, dear, surely you may have heard of Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev? Like me, you lived through that era...even if your attention was elsewhere.

For those who don't have firsthand memories of all that, watch this clip of Reagan at at Brandenburg Gate in West Berlin on June 12, 1987. I am no great fan of Reagan (having had his desire for a theatrical flourish for his 1986 State of the Union cost me seven esteemed colleagues...one a dear friend), but this was definitely a great moment from him.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

wayfriend wrote:
Menolly wrote:I admit there may be another reference in there which is going over my head.
I hate to say this, Menolly, but if Ronald Reagan is going over your head, you're in trouble. :wink:
*shrug*

I pay very little attention to politics, except when elections are involved.
...but OK. Now that y'all mention it, I do sorta recall Reagan's "Mr. Gorbechev. Tear down this wall."

...but that's not what Stevie's Nom said in his cover letter. :|
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Surely there are some contenders out there for a 1000 wgd prize? Think what you can buy with that much imaginary money? A Sandgorgon. A cabin beside Glimmermere. A Colossus. Or a downpayment on an Illearth Stone. So play!
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Bhrathairain Wannabes
gaddhi to be
Bhrathairain-realm

6nd August 2013

Building insurance and reconstruction

Dear wannabes,

Recently I have left your state prison system and wish to become once more a productive member of society. It has come to my attention that your people harbor some well founded fears for the safety of your walls and homesteads. As a dab hand at construction and its utter and total deconstruction, I can offer you my expert services in this matter.

Hire me and you will no longer have to fear the walls of your house and city falling down on you. Simply call out my name and I will come post haste and reconstruct them better and stronger (by at least 20%!) than before. Even Sandgorgon demolition crews will soon marvel at the rapid improvements in your building quality. It is very possible (though not guaranteed) that they would even pause momentarily to appreciate the renovations you chose to make before they attack your building in ernest, thereby allowing you a short interval in which to jump out of your windows and run for your lives.

Also included in the service are free diamond-hard sandstone stattuettes of Nom the Liberator each time you renew your service with me.

All this can be yours for the small fee of 1 mg of Gold per annum. Think of that and stopper your despair!

Sincerely,

Grom et Samadhi Sheol Shard #217

Former Address:

Sandgorgon's Doom
Great Desert
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Finally, some competition :D

I like the Sandgorgon's name!

PS. Menolly correctly assumed that my Tear down the Wall was first and foremost a reference to Pink Floyd!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

StevieG wrote:Finally, some competition :D

I like the Sandgorgon's name!

PS. Menolly correctly assumed that my Tear down the Wall was first and foremost a reference to Pink Floyd!
LOL, Good one Menolly. I too thought of Pink Floyd, before Reagan/Gorby, and it's nice justice that the harranguers were WRONG!!!!! ;)
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Hey, I believed Savor Dam. (Who doesn't?) :biggrin:
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

wayfriend wrote:Hey, I believed Savor Dam. (Who doesn't?) :biggrin:
:twisted:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I can see a time in the middle-near future where I will announce plans to close the contest.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Ok ... today is the last chance to put in an entry. Tomorrow we will begin the vote.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I have made a few attempts to write something that even approaches the level of the prior submissions, but I have nothing that deserves to stand with what Stevie and shoe have contributed.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

SD,
As SRD wrote:“Tell them to not be afraid to write crap.”

;) My motto for many aspects of life - have a go!

And I'm sure that your low quality attempt will in fact be a very high quality (knowing your skill with wordplay).
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

The contest is closed.

Sorry SD. Your entry would have been appreciated for it's entertainment value, even if it wasn't a contender.

We can now vote up our favorite entries.

1. StevieG: Nom applying to Kevin Landwaster for a demolition job

or

2. shadowbinding shoe: Grom applying to Bhrathairealm for a construction job.

(No one considered, say, hair dresser? :))
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Damn you Savor Dam.

If you had entered a crappy submission, then we probably woulda gotten two votes, and I wouldn't have to vote against StevieG or Shadowbinding shoe.

What to do, what to do?

I'll have to get back to you on my vote after I study some more, this is a tough one, both submissions are equally deserving of advancing to the next round (Or since there's only 2 Contenders, both are deserving of taking the money home)

Wayfriend, LOL, Nom as a Hairdresser 8O :lol:
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

While both are good, I think I will give the edge to Stevie's submission.

As for where I was thinking of going and why I didn't, the concept I liked best was to have my Sandgorgon apply to Chuck Jones for a stunt-devil or understudy job to Taz at Warner Brothers / Looney Tunes. Apart from not really having the time to write it (between work, Dam-et's chemo, and Menolly's trip to her BIL's funeral), I felt as though it was too similar (in a mirror-image way) to the round-winning story Menolly wrote a year ago during the Survivor: Sarangrave game here in WWM.

The perception that I was ripping off Menolly is not one that would benefit me here or in Real Life, nu?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Savor Dam wrote: The perception that I was ripping off Menolly is not one that would benefit me here or in Real Life, nu?
Well, if you won the money, it'll help Menolly, since you'd donate the cash to her WGR Fund ;)

OK, I've decided, I too am gonna go with StevieG, by an ever so slight margin of about 1/10th of a point.

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

At some point, I tried to figure out what exactly this activity is. However at that time it referenced a tv show I had never seen so I let it pass. In this interval, I sense an opportunity to have someone explain to me how exactly one wins Wayfriend's money, because it makes no sense to me at all. :roll:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener

Return to “General Discussion Forum”