Win Wayfriend's Money

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

wayfriend wrote:
deer of the dawn wrote:At some point, I tried to figure out what exactly this activity is. However at that time it referenced a tv show I had never seen so I let it pass. In this interval, I sense an opportunity to have someone explain to me how exactly one wins Wayfriend's money, because it makes no sense to me at all. :roll:
(Win Wayfriend's Money is a periodic contest that I started about five years ago. Members had been begging other members for white gold dollars, in order to buy certain special items in the Store, like the White Gold Ring or the Arch of Time. So I figured, why not make them compete against each other in contests of imagination and comedy in order to win my money? Now, that's entertainment. It's been going, off and on, ever since. Anyone can play. Contests involve posting something (usually) and then non-players can vote for the entry that they like best (usually). I am the final judge of the winner, and the winner gets some of my money. Read this thread from the top for more information.)
Basically, way comes up with different contests, generally chrons oriented. Contestants do their best to post an entry, and other Watchers vote on who did the best. However, it is way's game, and WGDs, so he has the final say, even if it contradicts the popular vote. No one's complained yet.

As far as the Survivor contests go, I approach them as individual rounds of a longer running contest. I've never watched Survivor either.

Anyway, I too am voting for StevieG. Athough I like the originality of ss's entry.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Happy to help, deer!

Win Wayfriend's Money (WWM) is a series of games administered Wayfriend. You probably already surmised as much. They have been an intermittent fixture on the Watch since those dark days in the fall of 2008 when many of us were watching everything we had built over the previous (how many ever...it varies!) years crumble into dust.

The basic premise is that Wayfriend has a pot of WGD that he wants to give away and an idea for an amusing game for people to play to try to win said WGD. Just as SRD's writings usually involve the synergy (or sometimes hysteresis) between two concepts, so do Wayfriend's games usually depend on the interaction between two factors, most commonly some aspect of the Chrons and some cultural reference. Sometimes the latter aspect is pop culture, sometimes more classic...all of which just makes the game more rich.

Judging who wins is usually done by popular vote...but Way does have final say. I am not aware of any instance of him overruling a popular vote, but I have not done an explicit audit. Such an ruling is clearly within the rules of the game...it is his game and he can run it his way.

Most of the rounds of WWM have been stand-alone; a single game which resulted in a winner that took away the 500-to-1000 WGD prize. Starting a few years ago, though, he took these games to the next level, creating "Survivor" game series where he gathered a group of five players competing for a much larger prize pool: 10,000 WGD for first, 1,000 for second, 100 for third, 10 for fourth and 1 for fifth. Each round, a player would be eliminated and paid off while the remaining players continued.

The first Survivor game The One Tree was won by dAN with me in second place. I won last year's round Sarangrave with Menolly coming in second.

Whether Way will start another multi-round game this year or stick to quicker games is entirely up to him.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

If we can drive up the participation level, a Survivor: Sunbane would be fun. or Survivor: Spoiled Plains. or Survivor: Melenkurion Skyweir. or Survivor: Garroting Deep. :)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I am always willing to participate, way. But me entering depends on the contests. I do enter when I feel I have something creative with which to do so.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Voting will close at end of day tomorrow, because I don't think much more is gonna roll in. I miss the days of the vote pimps.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Aye, wayfriend...but the fates they faced (not just in WWM, but in the larger Watch) were discouraging.

One, whom I know less well, suffered little direct backlash from actively soliciting voter engagement where she did so...but ended up in RL exiled to a remote land of weather extremes and cultural deprivation.

The other, whom I know intimately, has fared better in her RL changes, but was excoriated for her get-out-the-vote activities, leading her to back off somewhat from such efforts.

Not sure any of this defines causality, but it is my observation of what has happened in the last few years.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Ok ok ... no more vote pimps.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

And the winner is ...
Spoiler
StevieG

His story of Nom's quest for gainful employment has torn down the walls of our hearts.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Thanks Wayfriend! Easy money! I spent 10 minutes typing up a letter and received 1000 wgd's for my efforts - if only money was that easy to come by in real life :D

It's a pity there are not many contributors, but I'll take a shallow victory any day!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Thanks for the explanation-- not that I understood it-- :D and I will keep my eyes peeled for the next opportunity to win WGDs. In the meantime, I'm going to try to figure out a way to give mine away.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well, I have 1000 WGD to give away, so let's go.

(Win Wayfriend's Money is a periodic contest that I started about five years ago. Members had been begging other members for white gold dollars, in order to buy certain special items in the Store, like the White Gold Ring or the Arch of Time. So I figured, why not make them compete against each other in contests of imagination and comedy in order to win my money? Now, that's entertainment. It's been going, off and on, ever since. Anyone can play. Contests involve posting something (usually) and then non-players can vote for the entry that they like best (usually). I am the final judge of the winner, and the winner gets some of my money. Read this thread from the top for more information.)

The Contest
The greatest sports rivalries in the Land are:
  • Mithil Stowndown vs. Soaring Woodhelven
  • Giants vs. cavewights
  • ur-viles vs. Waynhim
  • Haruchai vs. Elohim
  • Mt. Thunder vs. Sarangrave Flat
In this contest, contestants will assume the role of a sports announcer calling a game between one of these pairs of great rivals. Provide us with the play-by-play narration, the in-game analysis, and the witty banter as the game unfolds "live" before you. You pick the sport! You don't need to cover the whole game, just enough to let us feel the excitement. Give us a transcript of how the game was called. Don't forget the team names!

Contestants' entries will be judged on gravitas, ingenuity, humor, and the ability to quickly recall obscure sports statistics from the Land record books.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

deer of the dawn wrote:Thanks for the explanation-- not that I understood it-- :D and I will keep my eyes peeled for the next opportunity to win WGDs. In the meantime, I'm going to try to figure out a way to give mine away.
It's not hard to understand really! It's like Bad Writing or Bad Illustrating contest - just a competition. Anyway, I'm planning to submit an entry while the KW talent pool is down (or maybe just the apathy pool :) ) - 10-30 minutes preparation should secure another 1000 wgd's. [/goad]
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Congrats StevieG, and well played SS
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Congrats, StevieG! :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

And the winner is ...
Spoiler
Everyone

For not touching that one. :pee-yew:
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Spoiler
Non-participants
Each win the full prize amount
Or split between them?
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Ouch. Was not sure about my entry, and I do have serious doubts about its quality, expected a usual "closing soon" warning to decide to post :) Well, perhaps better than quiet nothing. I don't want to change the happy announcement, I'll just post what I thought out for people to read if interested.

In the upper rright corner... Mount Thunderrrr!
In the lower left cornerr... the Saaarangrave Flaaat!
Geeet reeeeady forr rrrumble!

The Flat delivers the fist blooow! And what a blow, surely the Elohim hide their noses in the ground!
But Mount Thunder ssstrikes baack! The cavewights had to collect that thrash for AGES!
No, the Flat uses a dirty trick! The Lurker made the skest spit into the water! It looks like it's too toxic for anything to compare to it!
Oh no, it's impossible... What is this horrible thing that oudid this? Oh. Drool Rockworm got distracted from playing with the Staff finally and decided to wash that other thing he found with it, an ancient item of clothing known as socks... looks like even the Lurker can't produce anything to match this!

And the winner is... Mount Thunderrrr!
A role-player, beware
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I wish to win some of wayfriend's total sum of white gold dollars.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I have many white gold dollars that I would like someone to win.

Find one more contestant, and we can have a winner...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Delighted to see activity here again!

I am not raising my hand to play (nor necessarily am I out...), but I am definitely gathering snacks and beverages to accompany watching the fun.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw

Return to “General Discussion Forum”