Rush Limbaugh/Michael J. Fox

Archive From The 'Tank
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Allright...Bossk, welcome back. :D About time you showed up again.

Buckarama, nice to see you in the 'Tank. Great post. And good to see you around too Kill Thyme...mostly... ;) :lol:

Malik, from what I see in that article, he didn't paint them as wanting to make the research illegal...just as wanting to put limits on it.

That said, entry into the political arena does imply a willingness to be doubted, perhaps even lambasted for your point of view.
Pliss wrote:In short, the choice isn't between clones, fetus farms, or any of the other scary SciFi stuff opponents of this research like to go on about. The choice is about whether blastocysts left over from fertility programs will be tossed in the trash, or used to give hope to millions of people with terminal and dehabilitating illnesses.
There ya go. :D

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

but Rush's point was that Fox is lying. Rush couldn't argue the rights or wrongs about the issue, he simply attacked the integrity of Fox.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
spacemonkey
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by spacemonkey »

sgtnull wrote:but Rush's point was that Fox is lying. Rush couldn't argue the rights or wrongs about the issue, he simply attacked the integrity of Fox.
Yeah and don't forget Rush is still an asshole!!!!!!!
;) ;) ;) ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is one Law
that the Wild Magic
can Destroy or Maintain
for good or ill
BE TRUE!!!

Floating High But I'm Always Down......
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

thank you. at least one person gets the point. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
spacemonkey
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by spacemonkey »

Rush is Reich!!!! I still can't see WHY exactly he gets paid for what he does.........So far right wing that he's blind to anything else. Loves to badmouth anyone else who has a different opinion than he. I BRIEFLY heard yesterday about his whining that the media was on his neck over the Mike Fox issue. Anybody who pokes fun of anyone's disability really has their own issues, Rush has lost his hearing rather abruptly and I recall where he was trying to garner sympathy over that. Rush is STILL a major ass no matter what he tries to do........
There is one Law
that the Wild Magic
can Destroy or Maintain
for good or ill
BE TRUE!!!

Floating High But I'm Always Down......
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Rush is an entertainer and does have a huge conservative following...hell, I bet he even has a large liberal following; those who love to hate him still listen to him. I think he's often funny and has an excellent sense of humor. He's tons better at the radio that Shaun Hannity, who is an idiot and can't stop talking about his latest book, etc. Opps, off topic of Rush.

But my point that Rush is an entertainer is simply this: like any entertainer he wants to be in the news, I bet he said those comments just to stay in the news knowing they were outragious; and look...he's been staying in the news for days now. I don't agree with the comments but as he said, once you throw yourself in the political fray of things, be prepared to defend your actions.

And look at Fox, he said in a book he took no meds when he went up to congress to prove a point, then lately he said he was over medicated during his taping of the political spots. I've seen Fox recently on some talk show where he is perfectally normal. So I wouldn't put it past Fox to purposefully shoot those spots while in one of his bad days to prove a point. Was it bad? To me No it wasn't bad. But others, like Rush see this as a manipulation of sorts, so hell...lets use it and keep Rush's name in the spot light for a bit. Is that bad? Most of you say Yes, but to me that's not bad either. Both are potentially lieing (or twisting truth), and sadly that is politics through the ages.
Avatar wrote:And good to see you around too Kill Thyme...mostly... ;) :lol:
Er thanks...that gives me a warm and fuzzy....I think... ;)
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
Trapper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Trapper »

Kil Tyme wrote:
Avatar wrote:And good to see you around too Kill Thyme...mostly... ;) :lol:
Er thanks...that gives me a warm and fuzzy....I think... ;)
They mostly come out at night. Mostly...

It's just so heart-warming and inspirational to see unbiased commentators like Rush Limbaugh so bravely repudiating the evil of political bias, as well as putting in their place these damned celebrity entertainers who think they have a right to influence politics... :roll: And that's obviously not ironic in any way... :twisted:

ROTFLMAO. :cry:
Last edited by Trapper on Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Kil Tyme wrote:But my point that Rush is an entertainer is simply this: like any entertainer he wants to be in the news, I bet he said those comments just to stay in the news knowing they were outragious; and look...he's been staying in the news for days now.
This is exactly it. You people have been led once again into validating Rush.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Trapper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Trapper »

Cail wrote:
Kil Tyme wrote:But my point that Rush is an entertainer is simply this: like any entertainer he wants to be in the news, I bet he said those comments just to stay in the news knowing they were outragious; and look...he's been staying in the news for days now.
This is exactly it. You people have been led once again into validating Rush.
Do you think Michael J. Fox (as an entertainer) had the same motive? I don't.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Kil Tyme, Cail,

Do you think that Rush Limbaugh advertises himself as an "entertainer"? Do you think that most of his listeners think of him as an "entertainer"?
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Heck yes. Do you think he got to be number 1 in radio by being agreeable with everyone? Walking the fine line on all issues? Being PC?! He saw something that looked like it was being manipulative and political...an excellent combo for his show. His mouth was probably watering.

He certainly didn't loose any listeners who already like Rush; perhaps don't agree with that specific comment, but none jumped ship; and I bet he got tons more listeners who either, 1) agree with him on Fox and want to hear what else Rush has to say, or 2) hate him even more so they gatta tune in to hear what other blasphamy he is going to say next.

And all this hand wringing about Rush's comments is dollars to his eyes and his sponsors. He is an entertainer first and a conservative a close second, perhaps. Say the wild crap once in a while to get more news play and then once more folks are drawn into his show for one reason or another keep up with the more basic conservative view points that his base enjoys and the new listeners maybe converted, also.
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

He's a pundit and a commentator, and some things he says are taken very seriously by some very stupid people.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Trapper439 wrote:Do you think Michael J. Fox (as an entertainer) had the same motive? I don't.
Absolutely. MJF is using his celebrity to gain awareness for his cause. He's being self-serving.

LM, Rush is clearly an entertainer. He may be a big twit, but he's very, very good at what he does.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Cail,

I realize that. I just don't think he's an entertainer in the perception of most people who listen to him and support him, and I think he himself and most people take him too seriously.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Are you kidding? Rush is laughing all the way to the bank. Whether or not people take him seriously is their business. Lots of people take Jon Stewart seriously, and I think they're a bunch of idiots too.

I haven't listened to Rush in at least 10 years, probably more. I think he's a moron (who, to be fair, is sometimes right....But blind squirrel and nut and so forth) who panders to his audience, but that's why he's #1. People either love him and hang on his every word, or they can't stand him but tune in to hear what he'll say next.

But I'm still surprised that the haters empower him so much by giving him any recognition at all. You don't see conservatives or Republicans blathering on about what a tool Al Franken is.....We just ignore him.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Cail,
Rush is laughing all the way to the bank.
*shrug* That may be. From what I know of him, he's kind of a pompous ass.
Whether or not people take him seriously is their business.
I disagree. If he wants to be an entertainer, then he can advertise himself as a "fake news show" like Stewart does. What he's doing now is in my opinion intellectually dishonest.
Lots of people take Jon Stewart seriously, and I think they're a bunch of idiots too.
Agreed. However,
You don't see conservatives or Republicans blathering on about what a tool Al Franken is.....We just ignore him.
No, but I do see lots of conservatives blabbering about how much they hate Jon Stewart, that he is making the young vote jaded, etc. I see Bill O'Reilly and Geraldo Rivera (of all people, really) tooling on him because they disagree with him.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I think the issue with Stewart is that even though he advertizes himself as a fake news show, people (mostly young people) take him seriously and use The Daily Show as their only news source.

It'll be interesting to see what he does if the Democrats take over. Will he do what he's said he'll do and skewer them as well, or will he continue to pick on the 'Pubs?
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Cail,
I think the issue with Stewart is that even though he advertizes himself as a fake news show, people (mostly young people) take him seriously and use The Daily Show as their only news source.
This is true, in which case your "Whether or not people take him seriously is their business" maxim can apply.
It'll be interesting to see what he does if the Democrats take over. Will he do what he's said he'll do and skewer them as well, or will he continue to pick on the 'Pubs?
We'll see. I think it would be much much more interesting if the Democrats take the White House. He makes no qualms about teasing Bill Clinton. I think the fact is, Washington politics always presents you with absurdity, and Stewart knows this and uses it to his show's advantage.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Lord Mhoram wrote:
This is true, in which case your "Whether or not people take him seriously is their business" maxim can apply.
Absolutely.It's neither Rush's or Stewart's fault that some of their audiences are dumb.
Lord Mhoram wrote:
We'll see. I think it would be much much more interesting if the Democrats take the White House. He makes no qualms about teasing Bill Clinton. I think the fact is, Washington politics always presents you with absurdity, and Stewart knows this and uses it to his show's advantage.
In all fairness, Bill's an awfully easy mark.

He had some fun with Kerry, but much, much less than with Bush (who is also an easy mark).
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Rush is fine.
I enjoy him in small doses.
He does get tedious after a few hours though.
What makes me say that Rush was out of line on this was that he physically imitated MJF on his ditto-cam.
That was just dumb and in poor taste.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Coercri”