What other comic book characters deserve the big screen?

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

the recent ANNIHILATION by marvel was outstanding. maybe a bit too ambitious for a movie though.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Thor. Give me THOR for goddsakes.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

A Gunslinger wrote:Thor. Give me THOR for goddsakes.
Marvel will produce THOR as a big screen feature after the next round of films ie IRON MAN and THE HULK.

I wanna see a scene we've seen so many times when THOR arrives with hurricane force winds, thunderous dark skies, lightning crackling down from the heavens all under his command. He stands on a hilltop holding mjolnir, cape billowing in the wind. "Now base villain thou shalt feel the wrath of THOR!" Let the ass kicking begin. :biggrin:
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I was just thinking Thor, too. I've always liked Thor. But just as dlbpharmd said casting would be a major problem for Wonder Woman, I feel the same about Thor. How do you prevent turning him into just a lumbering idiot He-Man on-screen?
Fist and Faith wrote:Marvel's graphic novels are much more frequently actual graphic novels, as opposed to collected reprints of multi-issue stories from the regular comics.
Same difference? :wink:
The first of them all, The Death of Captain Mar-vell, was very good. And Simonson's Starslammers freakin' ROCKS!!! :D
I suppose Captain Marvel could be another potential movie franchise, though much further down the line if it were to happen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression Cap'n Marvel is not that high up in the pecking order of the comic book universe. More middling. Sort of where Dr. Fate also languishes.
Most of the whole Infinity Gauntlet was a waste, imo. However, Thanos Quest is fantastic!. But they should have stopped after The Infinity Gauntlet.
Well, it's true that I only know Thanos via the Infinity Gauntlet - and I only picked up that series because a friend recommended it. I agree, it was a wasted story. All flashy art, no substance.(And no, I don't follow that friend's comic book recommendations anymore, heh.)

I'll just take yours, dAN's and Tom's word that Thanos was a great character and had great stories. I just don't have the inclination or budget to start hunting down every great comic book story out there. All I can say is, I gave Thanos a try. But hey, he could always make a surprise cameo in the upcoming Silver Surfer movie...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, it would be pretty difficult for you to track down the original Thanos stories, from Mar-vell and Warlock. But, holy cow, if you ever get the chance!! Jim Starlin is the best writer of cosmic stories, imo, whether this stuff or Dreadstar. And he did the art on a lot of that old stuff. (He also did the first couple appearances of Mongul, who dukes it out with Superman very nicely from time to time! :D) Hey, if we're ever at an Elohimfest together, I'll bring mine for you to read. :lol: But I think Thanos Quest would be easy enough to get, and it's only two issues. Bigger than a normal comic book, but not as big as graphic novels. But it wouldn't mean nearly as much to you if you don't know who the Elders of the Universe and the Inbetweener are. (God, I love being a comic geek!!!! :D :D :D)

And yeah, Mar-vell is along the lines of Fate. Old time, legendary, but not around too much. Although in Mar-vell's case, that's partly because he died long ago in that graphic novel. But he was the first Protector of the Universe that we ever meet. (Quasar is the most recent, afaik.) He used to run into Drax the Destroyer a lot. Not always friendly meetings. Heh. But Drax was created to destroy Thanos, so the meetings couldn't be avoided.

Yeah, null, Annihilation was pretty cool. It's still pretty involved, with all the aftermath stuff. Shoulda quit while they were ahead, imo.

BTW, everybody, Thor is coming back to comics. He's been around in the Ultimate Universe already, but I mean the regular Marvel Universe. Strazynski (sp?) is writing it, so I'm entirely sure it will be great!!! I think it starts next month.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Fist: who should Thor fight in the movie? I want a powerful villain, though the Wrecking Crew would be fun, the are as dumb as a box of rocks.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Loki, obviously. He can manipulate the Wercking Crew into fighting Thor, while staying behind the scenes until the final confrontation, which would most likely be at the end of the film, setting up the sequal.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Fist and Faith wrote:BTW, everybody, Thor is coming back to comics. He's been around in the Ultimate Universe already, but I mean the regular Marvel Universe. Strazynski (sp?) is writing it, so I'm entirely sure it will be great!!! I think it starts next month.
I'm both elated and concerned... the Ragnarok storyline during Avengers Disassembled was great, drinking deeply from Norse mythology as well as from older Thor issues (such as the whole "eye of Odin" saga); in fact, it was the highlight of AD, as far as I am concerned. But at the end, it DID feel like an end for the character... I'm not sure that bringing him back might be a good idea, given where they left him at the end of Ragnarok.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

In comics is there ever really an end to a character? Its as bad as soap operas. Dude was decapitated in an auto accident but comes back a couple of years later with a transplanted coconut. :-)

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Wouldn't it be great to have a Daredevil movie?

ImageImage
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I'd rather see a Captain America movie......
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Finally getting a Hulk movie would be awesome.

___
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ___ »

Hey, I did a fine job in the last Hulk flick; I can't help it if the writers and Ang Lee screwed it up!
When the man with a 45 meets the man with a rifle, you said the man with a pistol is a dead man. Let's see if it's true.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I've been holding out for a ROM the Spaceknight movie. I loved the beginnings of that character.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cagliostro wrote:I've been holding out for a ROM the Spaceknight movie. I loved the beginnings of that character.
So did I! That was great stuff. Shame the story fell apart so quickly.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Rom? How lame! Nobody wants to see a movie about some toy! Say, doesn't that Transformers movie look hot? I can't wait to see it!
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Xar wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:BTW, everybody, Thor is coming back to comics. He's been around in the Ultimate Universe already, but I mean the regular Marvel Universe. Strazynski (sp?) is writing it, so I'm entirely sure it will be great!!! I think it starts next month.
I'm both elated and concerned... the Ragnarok storyline during Avengers Disassembled was great, drinking deeply from Norse mythology as well as from older Thor issues (such as the whole "eye of Odin" saga); in fact, it was the highlight of AD, as far as I am concerned. But at the end, it DID feel like an end for the character... I'm not sure that bringing him back might be a good idea, given where they left him at the end of Ragnarok.
I'm so out of touch that this info is gobbledygook to me. Thor's back? Didn't know he had been gone. Ultimate Universe? Straczynski - you mean the Babylon 5 guy? Avengers Disassembled? What happened to the neighborhood, Martha?

If I ever meet you guys, I'll be the slack-jawed idiot in the middle of the conversation. :P
aTOMiC wrote:In comics is there ever really an end to a character? Its as bad as soap operas.
I guess writers just can't let a good hero (or villain) stay dead. And if they aren't brought back, fans would likely demand it. (I know I wouldn't be happy if Dr. Fate were permanently killed off.) I'm also guessing that comic book characters - especially the major ones - are too valuable as corporate commodities to be axed. If Bob Kane had killed off Batman after the first ten issues, who would've cared back then, right? But now, after so many decades, Batman has become such a legendary character that he will "never die." The Dark Knight is an industry unto himself. I imagine the only way you could get away with killing off a Batman or Spiderman would be to do one of those "What If" one-shot stories. Or like the "death" of Superman or the recent Captain America "shocker," create a huge media event whereby everyone is just waiting to see how the hero will come back.

I enjoy death-and-resurrection stories as much as anyone else, when they're done well. But when it's overdone, I lose interest.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Give me Wonderman before Rom. Handled in the right way, it might not be half bad.

However, the Green Lantern would be great.

ImageImage
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Xar wrote:
Believe it or not, I never read those issues of Thor. By then, I was so sick of Odin dying from one Ragnarok after another and coming back to life that I quit the title. I suppose I should sit in the store and read the tbp, eh? :lol:

Matrixman... *whew* Where to begin? :lol: Yeah, I guess Straczynski is the B5 guy. He's the one who did the amazing reboot of the Squadron Supreme that I've talked about a few times.

The Ultimate Universe is a retake of the Marvel characters. Sort of an attempt to make things a bit more realistic. When Hulk goes on a rampage, hundreds of people die. Captain America is a lot more ruthless. (Part of his strategy was throwing Banner out of an airplane, assuming he'd turn into Hulk on the way down, and tear the place apart.) Pym didn't just snap one day and slap Janet; there was a history of abuse, and he finally almost killed her. (And Cap kicked his ass for it, breaking his jaw even though Pym was in Giant Man mode. :D) Etc.

Avengers Disassembled was regular universe. Very good story (5 or 6 parts?) about the Avengers getting seriously beaten up by... Ah, but that would be telling, wouldn't it. :D Anyway, the group was dissolved. Yeah, again. But AD lead to a LOT of stuff, including Civil War.

Speaking of which, and I guess I'll move it, so as not to turn the other thread into this:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:Hopefully it will be unlike the anticlimactic Civil War that also got me insanely interested in the beginning but then failed at the end.
I'm not sure what you're looking for in a comic. Civil War is still going on, and there's no end in sight. They aren't even intending for it to end. It's the biggest thing that's evey happened in a comic universe, imo. How many MAJOR characters are now wanted criminals, hunted by other major characters? Lots of major characters revealed their identities to the world. Although I imagine he'll be back, Cap truly is dead. The least important thing to happen is that Iron Man is now the director of SHIELD.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

They'll probably do an Avengers movie... since X men and FF are doing pretty good...
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”