Greatest Moments in the Star Wars Trilogy

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Very much agree about the Yavin/Death Star battle music, Tull. And yes, Jabba's Barge fight was one of ROTJ's best sequences! Really exciting action.
High Lord Tolkien wrote:My son has become a Star Wars addict and in turn, so have I.
So over the last few months I've seen all the movies several times over.
I have to say I love them all more as I see them.
My son's laughter at his antics have even made me forgive the creation of Jar-Jar Binks.
8O
I guess having a child does put it all in perspective. :)
There's something special about New Hope though.
Although I also remember the awe of the opening sequence with the Star Destroyer, my magic moment is the first time Luke uses the lightsaber at Ben's house.
The sound and the light......it just hits me. I can't describe it.
I don't think there's another movie that does that do me.
No idea how or why though.
That's interesting! I don't think anyone else has spoken of that scene affecting them so much.
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

There is a *very* subtle moment in Empire that I just recently noticed. (by far my favorite of the 3, but then they came out before I was born, I can hardly understand the *holy shit* factor, except that the movies look so amazing compared to everything before them. (and a hell of a lot of things that came after).

After the Millennium Falcon escapes the last time, and Vador looks to Piett, Piett knows he is about to die. But Vador just saunters off. "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival". You can tell, in that one moment, that Vador is genuinely upset that Luke isn't with him. You can hear it in Jones' performance, and you can see it in Piett's face, when he realizes he is actually going to live.
Carson Napier
Woodhelvennin

Post by Carson Napier »

Luke Skywalker refusing the Emperor in RotJ.

"You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me"

Take that Palpatine! You scumbag. :biggrin:

And several minutes later when Vader is standing behind the Emperor as he fries Luke with force lightening, I swear, you can see something going on in Vaders mind behind that awesome mask...just before he picks the Emperor up and chucks him down that chute/cavern wotsit.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Carson Napier wrote:Luke Skywalker refusing the Emperor in RotJ.

And several minutes later when Vader is standing behind the Emperor as he fries Luke with force lightening, I swear, you can see something going on in Vaders mind behind that awesome mask...just before he picks the Emperor up and chucks him down that chute/cavern wotsit.

Excellent example, CN. I thought that scene was terrific. Not a huge fan of what went wrong with Jedi but what worked was great.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Carson Napier wrote:Luke Skywalker refusing the Emperor in RotJ.

There's a video that someone made and posted on Youtube that you might like.
As Vader looks at Luke and then back at the Emperor (as the Emperor is blasting Luke) they edit in flashes of the emotional scenes from Episodes 1-3 showing that Vader regrets where he is now.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

That would be awesome to see, can you post a link?
High Lord Tolkien

I found it.
I love the editing!
It gives me chills when Luke makes his declaration:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QhrrynMFiM&feature=related

There's lots of good edited stuff out there.
(lots of bad too)

This one is good too:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtU1D72hTd0

Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Thanks!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

That is pretty cool! And a great job with the editing!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Greatest Moments in the Star Wars Trilogy

Post by Cagliostro »

matrixman wrote:9. JEDI - Luke Finally Snaps
Vader gets Luke to show himself by threatening to turn Leia to the Dark Side, but his plan backfires as the eerie chorus swells and Luke just plain goes nuts, beating his old man into submission with all the ferocity of a cornered gundark. It's an awesome moment, and the one time in the Trilogy when Luke actually comes across as a warrior.
Y'know, after reading through this list again, I always thought that scene made him seem like a whiny little bitch - not a warrior. He was giving into his anger, and as we all know, that ain't cool. I always thought more than anywhere else, this is the closest Luke came to the Dark Side of the Force because he let his emotions get the best of him. If it wasn't for the emperor constantly reminding him, "yes, do this and you will be bad like me and your daddy" he probably would have turned. Had it not been scripted, of course.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:There's lots of good edited stuff out there.
(lots of bad too)
I liked R2D2: Don't Taze Me, Bro!
High Lord Tolkien

wayfriend wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:There's lots of good edited stuff out there.
(lots of bad too)
I liked R2D2: Don't Taze Me, Bro!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image Image Image
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The greatest moment of all is when the credits started rolling in Ep3, and you knew that there would be no more star wars movies . . . .

Damnit, Clone Wars is out. ;)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Greatest Moments in the Star Wars Trilogy

Post by The Dreaming »

Cagliostro wrote:
matrixman wrote:9. JEDI - Luke Finally Snaps
Vader gets Luke to show himself by threatening to turn Leia to the Dark Side, but his plan backfires as the eerie chorus swells and Luke just plain goes nuts, beating his old man into submission with all the ferocity of a cornered gundark. It's an awesome moment, and the one time in the Trilogy when Luke actually comes across as a warrior.
Y'know, after reading through this list again, I always thought that scene made him seem like a whiny little bitch - not a warrior. He was giving into his anger, and as we all know, that ain't cool. I always thought more than anywhere else, this is the closest Luke came to the Dark Side of the Force because he let his emotions get the best of him. If it wasn't for the emperor constantly reminding him, "yes, do this and you will be bad like me and your daddy" he probably would have turned. Had it not been scripted, of course.
I always thought that the moment Luke takes Vader's hand and sees that it is mechanical, just like his own, is the turning point for Luke. He remembers the Yoda's cave, and realizes that he is in serious danger of becoming just like Vader.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
Cail wrote:Gotta agree Usivius. Seeing that scene on a big screen completely obliterated everything that had come before.
Which was in turn blown out of the water by this paragon of creativity:

OOOOMMMMMFFFFFGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
That's about the funniest thing I've seen in a long time...a long time...

Some Fav Scenes I believe haven't been mentioned:
Ep. 4 - Council meeting in the Deathstar where Vader does his magic strangle, and then
we find out that he's not the highest ranking officer right now. The dialogue in this
scene is amazing in how it conveys so much.
Ep.4 - The very last scene gives me chills every single time, when the tone changes
and all in attendance take two step forward in cadence - the music...chills/tears...
Ep.5 - The contrast between meeting Yoda for the first time, and then: "I cannot train
him", the whole scene inside Yoda's home, his revealing gives me chills...
Ep.5 - Luke's facing his issues in the cave...and then there's Vader, OMG!, and then
Luke to easily cuts his head off, and then the camera stays on the helmet...
and then....poof, OMG! agian, huh? Oooohhhh...hmmmmm....aaaahhh.
Ep. 6 - The combined Emperor goading Luke while he watches the space battle
through the window and then he goes for it....whew, suspense and build...
and then the Emperor just laughs..."good, good".
Ep. 6 - Despite the Ewoks being "weak", I liked the ending shots and song, which
was replaced in the re-release and the ghost shot of the three, into the
ending credits, and sitting there, thinking, it's over? Noooooooooooo! But,
Woooooooooooooow!
Ep. 1 - The larger water lizard eating the large fish thingy was pretty cool.
Ep.1 - The entire Darth Maul fight (except how Obi wins his battle against Maul - freakin
lame).
Ep. 2 - When Yoda opens his can-o-whoop-ass and starts flippin around - way cool!
Ep. 2 - When that Wookie puts the detonator on that droid water-tank (or whatever it
was) near the end of the film - way cool!
Ep.3 - The brief shot of Anniken walking past two pillars, I believe walking into the temple
- pretty cool.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”