Help SRD market Fatal Revenant and boost sales!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Stutty wrote:
Seareach wrote:In my honest opinion, if the book is good enough it will eventually sell itself. It just might take a while longer than anyone would like.
Not true. GAP sales never even came close to the quality of the books. IMNTBHO.
The GAP hasn't reached it's full potential sales-wise. Perhaps it never will. I hope it eventually does. The first book is confrontational. A lot of people don't get past that.

I just, honestly, think the market has changed. I think SRD himself spoke about "competition" in the market (perhaps in the GI?). When LFB was released it was something very new, and now there's so many carbon copies of it. SRD's genera bending in the Last Chronicles, and the complexity of what he's doing--the depth of what he writes--will find it's place in literary history (at least, I hope that...and I do believe that).

Sorry, I just don't think that Amazon reviews or the like will do it. All publicity is good. Will it amount to significant sales in the short term? I don't believe it will. It's about (as Vain says) making those people who read The Chronicles in the late 70's and early 80's aware of the new series, so chip away...concentrating on one site won't do it.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Seareach wrote:It's about (as Vain says) making those people who read The Chronicles in the late 70's and early 80's aware of the new series, so chip away...concentrating on one site won't do it.
Which is why I'm in favor of the FR cover vs. the Runes cover. Sure, it looks like Gandalf a bit, but isn't that exactly what might grab the attention of a LOTR fan? The Runes cover really didn't do that, IMO.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

dANdeLION wrote:
Seareach wrote:It's about (as Vain says) making those people who read The Chronicles in the late 70's and early 80's aware of the new series, so chip away...concentrating on one site won't do it.
Which is why I'm in favor of the FR cover vs. the Runes cover. Sure, it looks like Gandalf a bit, but isn't that exactly what might grab the attention of a LOTR fan? The Runes cover really didn't do that, IMO.
True. And I think that's what Putnam is probably trying to do...in itss own quaint way. But I think it's the same as the first and second Chronicles paperbacks being reissued with a ring cover around the time of the LOTR movies. It's kinda cashing in on the whole LOTR thing...then again, when I bought the first chronicles it had "comparable with Tolkien" on the cover and that's why I picked the books up in the first place.

I think the Runes cover was generic... If we're hoping that sales will increase based on covers then (sorry but) I believe the US cover for FR will help.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

To be fair to the publisher, it's a tough series of books to market. FR is basically book eight of a ten book series, the first of which was published thirty years ago, with a twenty year gap between the sixth and seventh books. Some familiarity with at least the Second Chronicles, if not the First is helpful to understanding this series.

My problem with the publisher is that they are not releasing Runes in paperback. They won't pick up the casual reader; who won't plunk down $20 - $30 for a hardcover fantasy book, by not doing that.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Damelon wrote:My problem with the publisher is that they are not releasing Runes in paperback. They won't pick up the casual reader; who won't plunk down $20 - $30 for a hardcover fantasy book, by not doing that.
Yes, D, this is definitely a problem! A paperback release would help!
Niftium
Woodhelvennin

Post by Niftium »

iQuestor wrote:
Wayfriend wrote:
Vain wrote:He should consider getting Oprah to push his books.....
Colbert is a big Donaldson fan ... That I'd like to see, Donaldson on the Colbert Report.

Is he really? How do you know that?
Colbert was the D&D-type nerd when young, so it doesn't surprise me. But I'm also curious when/where he said this (mostly because I worship the man).
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

iQuestor wrote:
Wayfriend wrote:
Vain wrote:He should consider getting Oprah to push his books.....
Colbert is a big Donaldson fan ... That I'd like to see, Donaldson on the Colbert Report.
Is he really? How do you know that?
I saw this at one point.
The A.V. Club wrote:AVC: You were into Dungeons & Dragons as a kid, were you not? ... What's the appeal?

SC: It's a fantasy role-playing game. If you're familiar with the works of Tolkien or Stephen R. Donaldson or Poul Anderson or any of the guys who wrote really good fantasy stuff, those worlds stood up. [link]
Donaldson writes really good fantasy stuff. It's Tolkien, then Donaldson, right off the top of his head. And it's well known that SC is a Tolkien geek, too - he's really into this stuff.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”