AAAggghhhh!!!! HOW COULD SHE?? (ending spoiler)

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I keep coming back to, why does his changing from death to life need to change his relationship with the Arch? It did not when he died, and it did not when he was resurrected to defend it against Foul.
Do not underestimate SRD:) After all, just when I thought everything was peachy he was able to give me a heart attack by giving the codes to Angus's datacore to Nick:)

He may yet come up with some very plausible explanation for a fact that, say, TC gradually lost wild magic, because by becoming part of the Arch it somehow "thinned", or I don't know... That would be an interesting situation, we would certainly get our old, grumpy, desperate TC back, questing to get back his wild magic...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

amanibhavam wrote:we would certainly get our old, grumpy, desperate TC back, questing to get back his wild magic...
I don't think TC would quest to get back his wild magic if he somehow is now without power. He spent the first chrons avoiding using power as much as possible, and at the end of second chrons he swore never to use his power ever again. I think that if he suddenly were to be without wild magic, he would be relieved, not desperate.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I have to say that when I first read this I tore through the last few chapters, certain something absolutely HUGE was about to happen...sort of like the ending to TOT...but I was surprised at what it was...and felt it made total sense...
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
sweetbread
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by sweetbread »

rdhopeca wrote:I have to say that when I first read this I tore through the last few chapters, certain something absolutely HUGE was about to happen...sort of like the ending to TOT...but I was surprised at what it was...and felt it made total sense...
Exactly, it was so obvious but no one saw it coming.....
emotional leper wrote:Is bad-assness not a most puissant power, Ninjaboy?
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

wayfriend wrote:(There's some other good threads on this very same topic. There's some good posts about it.)
Like this one, which basically expresses the same sentiment as your starting post of this thread, deer of the dawn. :)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

Sorry if this duplicates content from one of the other threads on the subject. When I first read it I was very surprised (mostly negatively). I thought "This will not turn out well". The questions I have in my head are

1. Will TC be more or less effective in human form?
2. Will he want his WG ring back (and does he even really still need it to wield wild magic)? Does LA intent to offer it to him?
3. What are the implications of not having someone guarding the arch of time while there is another WG ring running around the Land?
4. Why didn't she bring back Caeroil Wildwood. Seriously. Not because he would be a player but just because I like him (and my avatar keeps yelling at me.) Okay, just kidding.

Regardless I am sure this will provide much interesting plot advancement!
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

I think #3 is the big one.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Andy Kalish wrote:1. Will TC be more or less effective in human form?
More, of course. Why would Caer-Caveral break the Law of Life if not?
Andy Kalish wrote:2. Will he want his WG ring back (and does he even really still need it to wield wild magic)? Does LA intent to offer it to him?
I think TC will keep his promise to never use power again, and he will refuse to take the ring back for the same reasons. Linden may wish he'll take it, but I think she'll be convince he won't take it, too.
Andy Kalish wrote:3. What are the implications of not having someone guarding the arch of time while there is another WG ring running around the Land?
I see Joan's ceasures damaging Covenant, as she did in TWL. I also see Covenant letting her have her release, as he did in TWL.
Andy Kalish wrote:4. Why didn't she bring back Caeroil Wildwood. Seriously. Not because he would be a player but just because I like him (and my avatar keeps yelling at me.) Okay, just kidding.
Is there something CW could do?

That said ... there's nothing stopping her from resurrecting other people.

--- all my opinions, of course.
AjK
The Gap Into Spam

Post by AjK »

Excellent points, wayfriend! Btw I was completely kidding with #4. Just an involuntary occurance of my "less than razor sharp" sense of humor.

I guess it has been too long since I read TWL. What did you mean by Linden's release?
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

I think he was referring to TC letting Joan find her release by injuring him.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Andy Kalish wrote:I guess it has been too long since I read TWL. What did you mean by Linden's release?
Joan's release. Covenant let Joan hurt him because it gave her relief from her torture. It was a release for the pressures that Foul put upon her.

I think the ceasures may just be Joan hurting Covenant all over again. After all, the ceasures do cause the Arch to crack, and Covenant is one with the Arch in some way. And, again, the Ravers are making her do it, forcing this insanity upon her. Perhaps Covenant has never acted against Joan all this time because Joan needs the release to survive.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

And perhaps "what have you done?" implies that Joan now has nowhere to release her pain, and might turn to more harmful actions...
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

AjK
The Gap Into Spam

Post by AjK »

wayfriend wrote:Joan's release. Covenant let Joan hurt him because it gave her relief from her torture. It was a release for the pressures that Foul put upon her.
Gotcha now, my mistake due to not paying close enough attention. [Where the heck are my reading glasses?]
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Andy Kalish wrote:[Where the heck are my reading glasses?]
you gave them to your avatar so he would stop blinking so much...
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
AjK
The Gap Into Spam

Post by AjK »

rdhopeca wrote:you gave them to your avatar so he would stop blinking so much...
LOL, good point. I may have to get a new avatar. This one is giving me a Morinmoss Migraine.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Looks like Christopher Lee on prozac.

or meth.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I am also wondering what TC's personal issues will be now that his whole "this isn't real" mantra is kind of moot. He has no other life but the Land now.

Okay, an aside about FR cover art. I thought it was Anele, although he looked too commanding, but I was thinking that he regained the Staff and was now all that. As I read I went, O, that's Caerroil WW!! :0
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

He got over the "this is not real" stuff by the beginning of TWL.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

amanibhavam wrote:He got over the "this is not real" stuff by the beginning of TWL.
I don't think so. He offers Linden two explanations for what's happening to her: the "this is real" one, and the "this is a dream" one. But he never says which one he subscribes to.
sherlock_525
Ramen

Post by sherlock_525 »

First off love this site!!!!! Ok now to the post: :biggrin: TC must be there in the end. He told LF that they were part of each other, different sides of the same coin. I see a possible idea of why TC comes back now in Roger's TC mask conversations with LA. Check out the idea Roger puts forth about his (TC) powers while in the arch. LF will tell the truth if it helps his plans so why coach Roger in a false idea of what TC really is able to do? See if anybody follows my thoughts on this.
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone"-Al Capone

Return to “Fatal Revenant”