Fantasy themes and films

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

.. thanks Andy

.. I will definitely get the DVD version!!

.. good to see you again!! :D
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

CovenantJr wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, Legend stars a very youthful Tom Cruise, and i don't like it much... 8) Never mind, eh?
Legend has Tim Curry in the lead. I saw it ages ago and rather liked it. But I was pretty whacked out those days :)
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prince of Amber »

Legend - Stars Tom Cruise as the good guy and a HEAVILY made up Tim Curry as the Devil, or son of the Devil or whatever, the bad guy.
It was directed by Ridley Scott and, soundtrack problems aside, it is a wonderful piece of Fantasy, read the Amazon review where it is given second place to LOTR, (I think it is better)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I liked Legend--I don't care what any1 else says!! **raspberry** 8O
fall far and well Pilots!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

wow!! it is a definite 'must see' after all these rave reviews!! :lol:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Prince of Amber wrote:Legend - Stars Tom Cruise as the good guy and a HEAVILY made up Tim Curry as the Devil, or son of the Devil or whatever, the bad guy.
It was directed by Ridley Scott and, soundtrack problems aside, it is a wonderful piece of Fantasy, read the Amazon review where it is given second place to LOTR, (I think it is better)
I don't think I ever realised that Tom Cruise played a part in Legend. I found Tim Curry's portrayal of more interest :)
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

I think I know what you mean - Tim Curry is quite striking in Legend, and I loved Mia Sara in it, but Tom does slip into the background somewhat.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

The makeup used was VERY good and accentuated Tims role.

Having typed that, I just caught a glimpse of a fantasy? movie I saw ages ago - Flash Gordon :) Now that was a cool movie :)
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

'Dispatch War Rocket Ajax to bring back his body'

Yeah - I loved Flash Gordan, good music and good performances especially from Ming.
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

I've just re-read this thred and realised we didn't answer Sky's question about the basic story of Legend, sorry Sky.
It's a story set in a fantasy realm. A boy (Tom Cruise) lives in the forrest and has a raport with the animals. He is in love with a girl, (Mia Sara), and shows her the last two unicorns. The Gobins capture one of the unicorns and cut the horn from the other, thats how it starts, and the story is then about the Cruiser fighting the goblins and their boss Darkness (Tim Curry) with the help of Elves, Dwarves and Fairies.

Hope that hasn't put you off - please tell us what you think if you ever get round to watching it.
Last edited by Prince of Amber on Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danlo
Lord

Excaliber

Post by danlo »

Well, nobody has mentioned it, so I will: EXCALIBUR!!! Has the coolest suits of armor u'll ever see! Great soundtrack, hot babes--Fantasy @ it's best!!! 8)
Last edited by danlo on Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

Ah Excalibur - Funny but I never thought of Arthur films (or books) as Fantasy (weird when you think of it). It is an excellent film - John Boorman at his best - and an entirely suitable soundtrack (British members of the Watch will remember it from the Old Spice advert) not sure about the babes though.
Anybody seen The Keep? Based on a book by F.Paul Wilson, it is a story of many themes, and has a Fantasy base (but its more horror than anything else) the film stars Scott Glen and has a Tangerine Dream score - I liked it although it is a bit strange, and it was a huge financial disaster, directed by Michael Mann who went on to make the first Hannibal Lecter film.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Tangerine Dream - really good music.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

"I'll be back, again.." :D
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

hey man!!! .. I am totally looking forward to Terminator 3!!! I love the Terminator movies!!!

... like .. LOVE them!!! :wink: they are so clever .. and the writing was on the wall after T2 .. they left the door open for a 3rd movie .. by leaving Swarzenegger's left arm behind!!

yeah sure they fried the other arm and the chip and the one Arnie carried .. but what about his arm that got crushed????
NO FATE!!!
.. indeed???? :roll: .. they didnt alter the future much at all it would seem :cry:

hehe .. ok .. roll on July 2nd 2003
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Gareth Yaztromo
Servant of the Land

Post by Gareth Yaztromo »

I love Legend and Willow too. But Legend more so. I saw it years ago and now I can't find it in video shops any more. This is supposedly because it's one of the most stolen movies (as well as Mallrats) from video shops. :evil:
"Gareth Yaztromo was one of the most gifted pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore, Vermithrax Moonchaser, and is now one of the most talented and powerful sorcerers in Allansia."
Andelain Hills
Servant of the Land

Post by Andelain Hills »

Legend is easily found on DVD these days in two versions.
The aura of rightness here was so powerful that he began to regret that he belonged in a world where health was impalpable, indefinite, discernable only by implication.
Andelain Hills
Servant of the Land

Post by Andelain Hills »

Legend is easily found on DVD these days in two versions.
The aura of rightness here was so powerful that he began to regret that he belonged in a world where health was impalpable, indefinite, discernable only by implication.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

thanks for the good advice Andy .. twice even :wink: :wink:

just incase we didnt get it the first time :wink: :wink: :P

I will definitely keep a look out for Legend on dvd now!! :mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”