Let's guess the Croyel.

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Barnetto wrote:
Solar wrote:I think the reason they're invisible to health-sense is simply that they're powerful. Creatures such as the Elohim are also impervious to Linden's percipience...
But I thought that Linden could "perceive" the Elohim when they approached Elesmendene.... all that tinkling etc that no one else could hear. She probably couldn't push her percipience into them, but I didn't get the impression that her "percipience" was blocked to them in the same way that it was to the Croyel ie that she would become unaware of them if she closed her eyes.
Linden could only hear them speaking and it came out sounding like chiming Bells..if they were silent she could not perceive them at all. I remember the Elohim saying we should finish this before she is able to understand what we are saying. from what i recall.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

I seem to remember that Linden did feel something from the Kroyel (in the second chronicles). The persons that made deals with the Kroyel exuded some sort of spiritual coldness which was hard to detect but distinctive nonetheless.
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
Marrowmeldor
Servant of the Land

Post by Marrowmeldor »

From the gradual interview:

The croyel are creatures of opportunity: they'll take whatever form of dark hunger (hunger for slaughter, hunger for power, hunger for longevity. etc.) they can get. They do sometimes find their own victims (e.g. the arghuleh). But it is possible to seek them out, as Kasreyn probably did (although the croyel may have found him before he found it). SRD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, I think it's safe to assume that the croyel can scavenge pretty much anything it needs from Jeremiah's mind. The croyel may speak in half-truths, but it has access to full-truths (at least where Jeremiah is concerned). I also think it's safe to assume that, in spite of his dissociation, Jeremiah's mind *records* whatever he sees/hears/experiences, whether or not he understands it.

Second, other croyel in the story have not revealed the kinds of powers that the croyel possessing Jeremiah displays. Therefore it must be safe to conclude that the source of those powers lies within Jeremiah. Unless, of course, Roger and the croyel are exerting power in concert, in which case the whole equation changes. SRD

---------------------------------------

Lastly, why do you suppose Linden is so obsessed with whether or not Jeremiah has indeed been "claimed" by the Despiser? Where do his hidden loyalties actually lie? Is he the croyel's victim or the croyel's partner? This is crucial. SRD

----------------------------------------------------
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the Watch, Marowmeldor. Why not introduce yourself over in the Summonsing forum, so we can all say hi more properly?

I think that the fact that every time someone asks about the croyel, Donaldson brings up the question of Jeremiah's allegiance, is very significant. He might as well be saying "Hint! Hint!"
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Marrowmeldor, welcome :bestwishes: A very interesting selection of GI pieces, thank you.

wayfriend - Or he might as well be waving a laaarge red herring) Or you may actually be right. Or this can all mean something completely different. He's definitely making us consider possibilities though.

In either case it's a reminder of the necessity of freedom. Jeremiah's (or anyone's) choices are worthless if he actually has none.

He has to have the right to, if he decides so, throw his arms around Lord Foul's neck and proclaim himself his best friend at least, and perhaps the most interesting thing about it is that maybe that's how it really should happen - we don't know for sure now.
A role-player, beware

Return to “Fatal Revenant”