Anyone Else Have This Problem Reading Wolves of the Calla?

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Gunslinger, those are interesting conjectures. I can't really speculate, because as I said, the details of novels like Insomnia and The Talisman have faded for me.

In fact, I had somehow gotten the impression with a glitch in my memory over the years that Ralph and Cora had saved JAKE, not some other child. And that is patently false, I see now.

Is it June 8 yet? :lol:
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Less than a month away!! :S :S
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

I really liked the Wolves of Calla myself, and would be willing to endure permanently stained fingers to read S.o.S.

The character I fear most for is Eddie. It seems that he a Susannah are separated by ka during this book while Mia has her "gent". Any speculation on who or what it might be? Anyway, recall that Cuthbert Allgood (ka's mai) died yapping. If fear the same for Eddie, though not in this book. Also consider this (a reach?)

Edward= 6
Dean=4
of=2
New York=7

That's right....19!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! 19!!!!!! 8O 8O

Actually, I think we are going to lose them all just before they reach the Tower. Roland will face whatever he has to face in the Tower alone. The Ka-Tet will not be with him. Full circle, he lost all his other friends too. Just my little opinion. ka, like the wind
Spoiler
Also, I was reading the synopsis of SoS and it says that Jake and Callahan go after Susannah in New York and that Eddie and Roland go to Maine. Now, tell me this, why wouldn't Eddie go after Susannah??? I know, ka, and all that...but it seems odd to me. :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Ah, finally, Gunslinger, I caught you in a minor mistake. It's Mia's CHAP, not GENT. :P

I like your number 19 idea, although I must admit it scares me how many name combinations and time-consuming thought you might have put into this. :oops:

I personally think Roland is going to die in Dark Tower VII. I just hope his death is a meaningful sacrifice, and doesn't occur until near the climax.

I think Susannah might not make it through Book VI. Jake represents the future, and I would be amazed if he doesn't live at the end. Eddie's the Wild Card - I just can't figure him out.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

I think Roland will die IN the Tower. A sacrifice thing, like Covenant. And you may be right about Jake. :D
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

King has said all along to be prepared that Roland might not be the one to make it to the Tower - which is why I think he will make it at least that far, heh.
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

King first mentioned that in the afterword to The Waste Lands. I must admit to being rather bummed out when I first read this back in 1991. But since Roland has since survived two very large novels over a period of thirteen years, and continues to be the centerpiece of the story, I'm now pretty confident that King changed his mind and decided to have Roland slug it out until the climax of Dark Tower VII.

At that point, all bets are off!!! 8O
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

D'OH! Chap it IS! Dagnabbit!

Post by A Gunslinger »

:oops:

ya got me, Roland! In the vernacular...I cry you pardon.

I think Roland will make it there and do battle with the thing that awaits him in the Tower. Flagg will die too, and undoubtedly take someone we love with him, perhaps Eddie.

What role Pat of Insomnia will play to save their lives is a wild card too!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

I fear for Susannah. I have a very bad feeling about her situation.....but even more, I fear for Eddie. Eddie I think, is incapable of not charging rashly into any unknown situation if he thinks Suze is in danger -
Spoiler
maybe this is precisely the reason he is NOT on the rescue mission in SoS. But I can't imagine Eddie taking his exclusion lying down either.....I see a knock-down drag-out in regards to this in the opening chapters of SoS - he'll fight like a madman. And that worries me also....With the Ka-tet split asunder, and Eddie alone with Roland, whom I presume he will bear a gigantic grudge against....are we about to see the breaking of the Ka-tet? :cry:
I think Roland at least, will see the Tower, but he may not survive it. And, much as I love him, would that really be so bad? The best ending I can think of to his long isolation would be if whatever needs to be done at the Tower is accomplished, and his Ka is then free to reunite with his lost Susan....

The others are all up to Ka.... :(

People I think we may possibly run into in the next books....

Patrick is a given
Tyler Marshall *
Ralph and Lois?
Jack Sawyer *
Parkus *
Ted Brautigan *
Rose Steiner and /or Dorcas?
Flagg - almost a certainty
The Beast - same
It
Some of the Losers?
The Sisters of Eluria

*I feel there's a strong possibility :D

Admins, could we please have this moved to the SK forum? ;)
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Say what??????

Try again. Lada, because I don't understand a word you wrote. :roll:
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Eh? What was that about? :? Oh well, it's gone now....sorry that took so long guys. Do you know that's the first time I've ever had to actually use my special mod powers? You guys are so good in here, it's never come up before.... :D |G
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Wolves of the Calla

Post by duchess of malfi »

I've been working my way through the Dark Tower books this fall, and Wolves seemed a bit anti-climatic to me after Wizard and Glass, which I thought was the best piece of writing I have ever read from Stephen King. I think I would have enjoyed Wolves a little more if I had reread Slaem's Lot first, as there is such an important cross-over character. It also sounds, from reading this thread, that there were other King books I should have also read first, in order to have gotten more enjoyment out of Wolves, since I have no idea what on earth people are talking about in a lot of the posts about various characters from other books. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

Return to “Stephen King Forum”