This is beyond sad

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

Kathe
Servant of the Land

Post by Kathe »

SerScot wrote:I almost wish he'd issue a statement like this, "Then the Red messenger grew larger and larger in the sky until it slammed violently into the God's Eye. All life on Westeros, from the arm of Dorne to the Mountains of Theen, ended that day. Many on Essos suffered greatly as well. It was millenia before humans were able to again even build cities." The End.

The collective apoplexy of fanboys the world round would be worth the blowback.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad I wasn't drinking milk when I read this.

I know I only find this funny because I don't love this series and I could not care less if it is never finished.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Plato

The one thing that does not abide by majority rule is a person's conscience. -Atticus Finch
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

My impression from reading his "not a blog" and from other tidbits here and there is that he wrote himself into a corner plot-wise and it stumped him for quite a while.

I think eventually he worked through it, but it took time. Now that he figured a way out of the corner, the project is cold and it takes a while to get going again. The past 3-4 months sounds like steady progress has been made though. Hopefully sometime next year we will get this thing :)
Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

One of the reasons I take my hat of for SRD. He keeps his promises and stays on schedule.

After 'Storm of Swords' I gradually and surely lost all my interest in this series. Although I really like the first 2 novels.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Hiro,

GRRM has made no promises. Therefore, he's broken his word to no one. I'm a bit surprised most fans agree that ASOS is the best of the series so far.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Storm of Swords was one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read IMO. Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings were both good, but Storm of Swords was just amazing.

Couldn't finish Feast for Crows - not that it was bad per se, but it was just so much less than the preceding books. And I knew that ADWD was not out yet (and no time frame) so I just lost interest in it.

I'm sure I'll pick it up again some day...
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I really enjoyed AFFC - it was the only book in the series that I felt had any re-read value. Which is my problem - given the ridiculously long wait and my lack of desire to re-read Martin's work means that I may not buy ADWD.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

SerScot wrote:Hiro,

GRRM has made no promises. Therefore, he's broken his word to no one. I'm a bit surprised most fans agree that ASOS is the best of the series so far.
Alright, he made no promises. My phrasing was wrong, but you understand what I mean, right?

As for ASOS, I guess it gave me no further incentive to wait for further installments. Compared to other books that I had and have been reading. While the series have given me many hours of pleasure, somehow it was not enough. This was many years ago already, and since then I have read so many other books that it's hard to put it in a precise context. What I can say is that my reading has diversified to such an extent, and shifted more towards enjoying literature and nonfiction, that I have become wary of delving into *long* fantasty / scifi series. For example, I have not read beyond 'Gardens of the Moon' either.

Perhaps I should be more sympathetic for the struggle GRRM found himself in, but I have a feeling that the series got out of control. That is my personal impression, and while I don't deny the sheer ambition of it, there is also something to be said for working within limitations. Best expressed by Goethe:
It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Hiro,

I'm as frustrated by the wait as the next guy. However, writing is an artistic process. It's not like punching out sheet metal. It takes as long as it takes. The problem may be that GRRM just can't let go of his baby. That gets harder as you get more popular you want to live up to expectations. We'll see. I sincerely hope to see ADWD before August 2011.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Has an air date been set for the HBO series yet? Last I heard was they were still filming and the airing was set for "2011". Anyone heard anything more definite than that?
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Akasri,

I believe it's supposed to premier in March. Some have speculated the publishers are delaying ADWD to have it's publication coenside with the premier of the TV show. I hope that's not what's going on.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

But that makes sense, from an evil-marketing-genius point of view.

Still, that would mean Martin would have to have the whole manuscript done *now*, so that there would be time for proofing and everything to be done by March. And it doesn't sound like that's what's happening, unless Martin's messing with us by saying he's not done writing the thing yet.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Yeah, given publishing lead times, he'd have to have it done by now to be coming out in March. I still think (hope) that this HBO series has gotten GRRM in the writing mood again. Notice that once casting/filming started, suddenly he's making great progress on the book again.

So we'll get to see a (hopefully) great HBO series and get a new book next year :)

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”