Bin Laden has been killed

Archive From The 'Tank
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Finn,

Right, OBL was never detained to have filed a Habeus petition.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Zarathustra wrote:This is a historic military victory for America. Well done Obama, and all personnel involved. While we're celebrating this victory, let's remember to give credit where credit is due:
The killing of Osama bin Laden seemed to come out of nowhere, but officials have reportedly been on the terror leader’s trail for over four years—before President Obama “directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against al Qaeda,” that is. And according to the Washington Examiner, it was intelligence gleaned from a Guantanamo Bay detainee over four years ago that ended up leading to his whereabouts:

Some time after Sept. 11, detainees held by the U.S. told interrogators about a man believed to work as a courier for bin Laden, senior administration officials said. The man was described by detainees as a protégé of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, and “one of the few Al Qaeda couriers trusted by bin laden.” Initially, intelligence officials only had the man’s nickname, but they discovered his real name four years ago. Two years ago, intelligence officials began to identify areas of Pakistan where the courier and his brother operated, and the great security precautions the two men took aroused U.S. suspicions.

If it wasn’t for Guantanamo Bay, it seems highly unlikely that the government would have been able to uncover this information. We can thank the counterterrorism policies put in place by the Bush administration—and President Obama’s savvy decision to continue them—for leading intelligence officials to bin Laden.
www.commentarymagazine.com/2011/05/02/g ... bin-laden/

Thanks to interrogations at Gitmo, we got the intelligence which led to UBL. Hopefully, we can finally end the debate on the value of aggressively pursuing the war on terror in this manner. I'm glad that it was Obama who put this information to use, so that perhaps the people who were attacking Bush during this period might feel a little more open to such aggressive techniques going forward, and not repeat our naivete in the future.
I wonder if this was why he backed off closing Gitmo.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

HLT, I think Obama kept so many of the Bush War on Terror policies precisely because he had access to the intel once he became president, and realized how valuable and crucial it was.

It would help the country to heal and come together if he would just admit that Bush did a lot right, and it was because of Bush's committment to the W.O.T. that helped keep us safe and ultimately bring UBL to justice. Obama has a great chance to bring us all together if he'd just do the right thing, and say, "You know, many of us were wrong about how to fight this war. Including me. Let's agree to never be wrong like this again." He'd probably guaranteee his reelection if he did that.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Syl wrote:Looks like it was the SEALs. Go Navy!
U.S. Navy Seals were involved in mission that killed Osama bin Laden, a senior defense official said.
Fair enough. But Army choppers were involved. :P Seriously though; a 40-man Seal force...nice. Talk about turning it up to 11! :mrgreen:
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I think it's a very good thing that he has been killed, and Justice has been served. I am concerned about the tone of the celebrations though, it's like bloodlust from some of the headlines and the news clips I've been seeing. It makes us appear no better than him, IMHO.

Again it's great that the deed is done, but, something just doesn't sit right with me celebrating a man's death (any man's death) in the manner some are doing.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Isn't a 40 man SEAL team pretty big? That's a really big platoon, isn't it?
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

It's like adding tons of gravy, more than you need (no, here; here's some more. Take it, you bitch!). But you can't play around when it comes to getting a maniac like that.
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Osama was killed at a luxurious compound; not living in squalor in a remote
Mountain range.

We "buried" his body at sea within two hours either because Obama is a pussy and doesn't want to piss them off even more or because Obama is a Muslim and sympathetic to his brethren.

Bush would have had the carcass swinging from a tree on the white house lawn as an effigy for everyone to see.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Harbinger wrote: Bush would have had the carcass swinging from a tree on the white house lawn as an effigy for everyone to see.
I highly doubt that, since that's pretty much the stupidest thing I can think of to do.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Vraith wrote:
Harbinger wrote: Bush would have had the carcass swinging from a tree on the white house lawn as an effigy for everyone to see.
I highly doubt that, since that's pretty much the stupidest thing I can think of to do.
Which is probably one of the reasons why Bush would have tried it. Not the most baked cookie of the bunch was ol' Bush... still - i also don't see why we should show the proper "muslim respect" when it comes to a mass murderer like Bin Laden; thousands of his victims weren't given their proper "respects" when they were buried beneath the rubble of the Twin Towers.

What is it with Obama and his insistence on appeasing Islam? Seriously, he permits them to build a site on Ground Zero; which despite my liberal beliefs makes me want to spit blood... and then showing this man "proper muslim" respect.

I suppose from a politician and leader of his people stand point he is trying to minimise the risk of retaliation... and in a way it is smart. Still, I am somewhat dubious that when terrorists, who target innocents, will feel appeased and less inclined towards violence just because we treated their leader with respect.
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Well, you can't win no matter what you do w/the body. So, it doesn't matter to me.

sindatur, I agree. Reminds me of the Muslims throughout the world who partied after 9/11, and every other time they blow people up. Its great we got him, but partying and celebrating? Why, b/c there'll be no more terrorism?
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Revan wrote:I suppose from a politician and leader of his people stand point he is trying to minimise the risk of retaliation... and in a way it is smart. Still, I am somewhat dubious that when terrorists, who target innocents, will feel appeased and less inclined towards violence just because we treated their leader with respect.
It wouldn't matter whether we buried him at sea, in the ground, cremated him, or hung his corpse from a tower for all to see. The terrorists are still going to do what they are going to do and they do not play by any set of rules whatsoever other than "anything goes".

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Vraith wrote:
As a reply on another board I go to:

I would of thought because cremation isn't allowed in the muslim religion.
and the reply:
Ah, but does the Koran say anything specific about having him stuffed, mounted and displayed in JFK airport in a humourous pose with a goat, a bottle of Jack Daniels, a drag queen in a stars and stripes bikini and one of those boards with a hole in it for tourists to put their heads through?
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Revan wrote: I suppose from a politician and leader of his people stand point he is trying to minimise the risk of retaliation... and in a way it is smart. Still, I am somewhat dubious that when terrorists, who target innocents, will feel appeased and less inclined towards violence just because we treated their leader with respect.
It isn't the ones who already are terrorists that are the reason for it.
It is to take away the rhetorical/political weapons of those who would attempt to sway more people to their side...for instance, by shouting "See what they did to his body! They HATE Islam, they are at war with Islam!"

And I'm not a big fan of Bush, but even I wouldn't go so far as to think him that ignorant of implications.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Couldn't resist. Now move on.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

Good job Obama for staying out of the way of the US military. <cue bells, whistles, and confetti>
"Humanity indisputably progresses, but neither uniformly nor everywhere"--Regine Pernoud

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Vader, "now move on"? You feel it's appropriate to make cheap political shots at a time like this, but don't want to be challenged for doing it? How brave of you. :lol:

I know that partisan politics can't be entirely separated from this event. But I wish this could be a day for freedom loving people around the world to come together in acknowledgement of this victory. Obama deserves all the praise he's going to get. Bush also deserves praise for putting into place the policies which led to the intelligence which made this possible (which Obama continued, to his credit). Today Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, and even our friends and allies around the world should be able to agree on one thing: the world is better off without Osama Bin Laden. If we can't agree on that without taking cheap shots at each other, then we might as well admit that we're hopeless, and the only thing that really matters is partisan bickering.
Last edited by Zarathustra on Mon May 02, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

Vraith wrote:
Revan wrote: I suppose from a politician and leader of his people stand point he is trying to minimise the risk of retaliation... and in a way it is smart. Still, I am somewhat dubious that when terrorists, who target innocents, will feel appeased and less inclined towards violence just because we treated their leader with respect.
It isn't the ones who already are terrorists that are the reason for it.
It is to take away the rhetorical/political weapons of those who would attempt to sway more people to their side...for instance, by shouting "See what they did to his body! They HATE Islam, they are at war with Islam!"

And I'm not a big fan of Bush, but even I wouldn't go so far as to think him that ignorant of implications.
So can it be said then, that many Muslims think Osama is representative of Islam? ;)
"Humanity indisputably progresses, but neither uniformly nor everywhere"--Regine Pernoud

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

sindatur wrote:I think it's a very good thing that he has been killed, and Justice has been served. I am concerned about the tone of the celebrations though, it's like bloodlust from some of the headlines and the news clips I've been seeing. It makes us appear no better than him, IMHO.

Again it's great that the deed is done, but, something just doesn't sit right with me celebrating a man's death (any man's death) in the manner some are doing.
I know how you feel. Driving home from a final today, there was a crane along I-40. Hoisted at the top was an American flag, and I thought, 'Hell yeah!' Then I noticed something below it. From a distance it looked like a white flag, but a little closer it was more like someone hung Casper, with some kind of crude face painted on it. It was a little disturbing.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Zarathustra wrote:Vader, "now move on"? You feel it's appropriate to make cheap political shots at a time like this, but don't want to be challenged for doing it? How brave of you. :lol:

I know that partisan politics can't be entirely separated from this event. But I wish this could be a day for freedom loving people around the world to come together in acknowledgement of this victory. Obama deserves all the praise he's going to get. Bush also deserves praise for putting into place the policies which led to the intelligence which made this possible (which Obama continued, to his credit). Today Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, and even our friends and allies around the world should be able to agree on one thing: the world is better off without Osama Bin Laden. If we can't agree on that without taking cheap shots at each other, then we might as well admit that we're hopeless, and the only thing that really matters is partisan bickering.
I'm not even American and I don't care if it's Democrat or Republican who's in charge there - as long as they are sane. So I have no reason for partisan tactics, I just saw the picture and thought it was funny. If it was inaapropriate, here are my apologies.

I fully agree with what you wrote in the second paragraph. However I know Americans from other forums who still can't get over the fact that Obama is president. They b'tch and moan about what happened and come up with crude conspiracy theories. I get the impression they rather wish Osama was still alive so they have a reason to be Hawks.

And yes, the world is better off without Bin Laden. It's still far from being perfect but step by step we're getting there. The death of people like Sadam and Bin Laden and the democratic movements in Egypt, Jemen, Syria and Lybia make us hope.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.

Return to “Coercri”