The "Good Post" feature of this forum

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Being someone who has only ever been thanked once, I'd love to find out who it was :)

Impressive Iolanthe that you have already been thanked 5 times! You must have more substance than me :lol:
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

StevieG wrote:Being someone who has only ever been thanked once, I'd love to find out who it was :)

Impressive Iolanthe that you have already been thanked 5 times! You must have more substance than me :lol:
I doubt it "StevieG". I'm well known for having "more rabbit than Sainsburys".
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

StevieG wrote:Being someone who has only ever been thanked once, I'd love to find out who it was :)

Well now you have two)

Io, thanks for supporting Stevie)

And, of course, both of you deserve much more thanks, as well as the others - I often just don't keep that button in mind when reading something - I'll try to amend for that)
A role-player, beware
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Iolanthe wrote:

I doubt it "StevieG". I'm well known for having "more rabbit than Sainsburys".
I know what Sainsburys is but have no idea what it means to have "more rabbit than Sainsburys." :P
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

More Rabbit Than Sainsburys

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is an old British saying "More Rabbit Than Sainsburys". Obviously the famous supermarket Sainsburys is included, but why? And why "Rabbit"? And what does it all mean? Well, here's an attempt at an explanation:

If someone is said to have "more rabbit than Sainsburys", it means that they talk a lot. Typically they talk incessantly, and typically with more quantity than quality of verbiage. A person might be "rabbiting on" about a subject, which would mean they would be having a rant.

Rabbits are not known for saying much themselves, except perhaps in interesting surrealist works of fiction such as Donnie Darko and Alice in Wonderland, so why is it RABBIT that's chosen to refer to TALK. Apparently, it's because it's Cockney rhyming slang, "rabbit and pork" = "talk". Rabbit and pork were two of the most popular meats a long time ago, an although pork has maintained its popularity, rabbit has become less popular over the years. The main reason for this is that rabbit butchery is less cost-effective. It's a skilled job, and the butcher has to take a dead animal that's about the size of a cat, and turn it into something that the customer can buy, take home, cook, and eat. But as the amount of meat on a rabbit is so small, the job has to be done quickly so as to cover the cost of the labour.

Well I dare say that real-life action-man Bear Grylls* would not worry about this at all, and would be very pleased to have ensnared a rabbit and be quite keen to put a bit of time into preparing it and roasting it over a campfire. However, in the commercial world of modern shop cuisine, time and labour costs are of the essence.

Going back to the matter of Sainsburys, a while ago, when rabbit and pork were both popular meats that customers would regularly buy, Sainsburys used to have hung up, rows and rows of them, so customers could examine the quality, and this image has stuck in the mind.

Please bear in mind, if you are a meat-eater, you have to accept that the meat comes from animals, which live and then die (hopefully humanely) and then the dead animal is turned into meat by a skilled professional known as a butcher. Yet, some people have gone into denial about this sort of thing, and rabbits have somehow become associated with cute and cuddly bunnies, rather than something to be put on the plate! Chickens haven't been so lucky.

So anyway, as Sainsburys was the place where rabbits were to be seen in large quantities, it stands to reason that if someone had "more rabbit than Sainsburys" then they must logically have a very large amount of "rabbit". This neglects the fact that the type of rabbit the loquacious verbose person had was different to the type of rabbit that Sainsburys had, the former being of the type "rabbit and pork = talk", and the latter being of the type "quality meat on sale".

A few years ago I went into a large Sainsburys store in London and I asked a helpful member of staff a curious question. I said "This might sound an odd question to ask, but... do you have any rabbit?". Well, the Sainsburys staff member, who knew well the stock of goods of the establishment they worked for, answered with perfect certainty "No". The word seemed to echo through the halls of the great store, almost like going to a great cathedral and asking the archbishop "Do you believe in God?" and getting the response "No".

I pointed out the context, the origin of the expression "more rabbit than Sainsburys" and I remember at some point having a discussion with someone in charge of the butchery department (which still stocked some fine lines of beef, pork, lamb, poultry, and many other delicacies and quality nutritious meat). Yes, it is true that Sainsburys used to stock rabbit, and were famous for it, but it had fallen out of fashion, partly because people thought that rabbits were too cute to eat, but also because the time required to prepare a rabbit made it less economical than in the old days. It was also almost as if the art of rabbit butchery was a skill and a lost art, going the way of that of the wheelwright, cooper (barrel-maker), and lead-craftsman (previously referred to as "plumber").

So, in essence, here is a summary of the salient points in this explanation of the phrase "more rabbit than Sainsburys":

1. Sainsburys used to be a place where a lot of rabbit meat was on sale.

2. Cockney rhyming slang "rabbit and pork" = "talk". Therefore "to rabbit" = "to talk a lot".

3. Type mismatch of the type of "rabbit".

Well that just about sums it up, even though it has taken a lot of rabbiting-on to accomplish this. Incidentally, we have an affiliate program with Sainsburys, and although there's no rabbit there, there is a large range of other stuff, which you can buy online, which is something you couldn't do in the old days!

www.zyra.org.uk/morerabbitthan.htm
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOSseI1hao8

Chas and Dave singing "Rabbit"; includes the line "you've got more rabbit than Sainsburys".

That was interesting Sarge. Didn't know all that. I've seen pictures of old butchers' shops with rabbits hung up all over the front. Cheap meat you see, also very often poached. We used to have rabbit when I was little, and I've cooked it since I was married. It's true that you don't see it much nowadays. Lots of bones and not much meat. :D

Also love rhyming slang: "I'm goin' down the apples and pears [stairs] puttin' on me titfer [tit for tat = hat] and me weasel [weasel and stoat = coat], goin' down the frog [frog and toad = road] to the rub a dub [Pub] to get away from the trouble and strife [wife]"

Ha! Just found a very appropriate swearword to use that no-one will understand - Richard! [Richard the Third = Turd (shit)].

:lol:

www.hintsandthings.co.uk/library/rhymingslang.htm

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Wow, that was all very interesting. I asked my son, who went to Cambridge University, if he ever heard the expression "more rabbit than Sainsburys" and he said no.

Maybe it's only used by people of a certain age. ;)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

[Puts on posh voice] Oh, they wouldn't say that in Cambridge! :lol: More like a London saying, and, yes, probably not youngsters (I go no further than that). :biggrin:

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

:LOLS:
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Iolanthe wrote:[Puts on posh voice] Oh, they wouldn't say that in Cambridge! :lol: More like a London saying, and, yes, probably not youngsters (I go no further than that). :biggrin:
heh...I was in London for some Lit classes. We all went to a karoake night [not during "class time"] a young-ish woman got several turns early on...probably cuz she got beyond shy [drunk] early, and most everyone else was still shy [1/2 drunk], so hadn't signed up yet. She had a lot of chatter during the intros and instrumental parts like she was a star whipping up the crowd...and someone got a little mean. After her third song, the dj dude said that "more rabbit than sainsbury's" thing. Someone in the bar shouted out "but she's 1/2 cow and 1/2 crow." [she was largish, and horrible singer...but it was still mean.]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Not cool. Was this heckler a local, a Yank, or someone else? Whether she was drunk or not, unattractive or not, cacophonous or not, she was putting herself out there by singing publicly.

If one has nothing good to say...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Savor Dam wrote:Not cool. Was this heckler a local, a Yank, or someone else? Whether she was drunk or not, unattractive or not, cacophonous or not, she was putting herself out there by singing publicly.

If one has nothing good to say...
Definitely not a Yank. Probably local...but possibly an Aussie [there were a lot of them around and a popular hangout for them nearby, and with the volume overall, accent discrimination was tough cuz I'm a Yank.]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Iolanthe - i enjoyed learning that. :)

only ever had bunny - once - as a kid. i think i liked it. but then again i like deer, buffalo, elk, duck... so i am sure i would like any wild game. nu?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Leave the buffalo alone, Sarge!

OK, y'all can enjoy the wings. We have no great desire to fly anyway...and knowing what pigeons do, nobody wants us aloft!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Buffalo is yummy.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

You would say that, bashert...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I am referring to buffalo burgers, bison steak, bison chili, et. al...

:twisted:
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Of course you were. I would hardly be implying anything different.
:3M:
Last edited by Savor Dam on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Vraith wrote:Definitely not a Yank. Probably local...but possibly an Aussie
Couldn't be an Aussie - we don't exist :biggrin:
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Speaking of Oz and karaoke, I once heard about 2,000 Oz Marines singing Come on Eileen in drunken unison as I walked past the Terror Club in Singapore... it was memorable. Obviously.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”