Pizza Hut's Hot Dog Stuffed Crust

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog
A hot dog is a sausage...
And of course, your lunchmeat link says it's "often sausages..."
Harbinger wrote:I think people are thinking of it as a hot dog pizza rather than a meat stuffed pizza crust.
What's wrong with the idea of hot dog on a pizza? I've had meat pizzas with sausage slices that weren't too dissimilar from hot dog.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Murrin wrote: What's wrong with the idea of hot dog on a pizza? I've had meat pizzas with sausage slices that weren't too dissimilar from hot dog.
Pizza is dish with thin crust (flour type 00, sea salt, water and only little yeast, but long proofing time, a bit of tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, baked in a stone oven fired with wood at least at 400°C/750F. Everything else might be yummy but it'd not pizza.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

As if anyone still makes that distinction.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Believe me, I know Italians for who this is religion. :P
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I don't want to get too argumentative in a light-hearted thread ...

... BUT!
sgt.null wrote:sausage have spices.
From the same wikipedia article Murrin quoted, the same one which starts out by saying "A hot dog is a sausage ..."
Common hot dog ingredients include:[20]

Meat trimmings and fat
Flavorings, such as salt, garlic, and paprika
Preservatives (cure) - typically sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite

Hot dogs are prepared commercially by mixing the ingredients (meats, spices, binders and fillers) in vats
And from the sausage link (heh) provided by St.Null:
Cooked sausages are made with fresh meats, and then fully cooked. They are either eaten immediately after cooking or must be refrigerated. Examples include hot dogs, Braunschweiger, and liver sausage.
This thread got me thinking about hot dogs, so I did a quick Internet search for "best hot dogs." The list was topped by Nathan's Kosher, Ball Park Angus Beef Franks, and Hebrew National Reduced Fat, among others.

What's everyone's favorite? I personally have always loved Hebrew National and Nathan's. A friend told me I should try Ballpark's Angus Beef, which I keep forgetting to do. Maybe I'll buy some this weekend.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Zarathustra wrote:What's everyone's favorite? I personally have always loved Hebrew National and Nathan's. A friend told me I should try Ballpark's Angus Beef, which I keep forgetting to do. Maybe I'll buy some this weekend.
Sabrett's or Boar's Head all natural casing beef franks, gently simmered in water, not grilled. They are thinner dogs than most kosher hot dogs sold in groceries, but having always loved the hot dog carts in Manhattan as a child, and still delighting in them whenever I come across one that sells Sabrett's here in Gator Town, a thin dog on a bun with Gulden's spicy brown, bar-be-cued onions, and extra kraut is the way to get a dog for me.

A friend of mine from Buffalo tells me I need to try Sahlen's, I believe they're called. But I had always heard good things about Vienna's chicago-style dogs, and found I did not care for them. I hesitate to try the Sahlen's, fearing a similar experience.

If I must have a grilled dog, I feel Hebrew National is slightly better than Nathan's, although Best Kosher are pretty darn good as well, for the thicker type of dog.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I like Hebrew National, Best Kosher and Vienna Beef. Oscar Meyer's All Beef also isn't bad. I think Nathan's is so so.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I feel Oscar Mayer's Angus Beef is better than their Select Beef. But I haven't been a fan of Oscar Mayer in a long time. The Angus really surprised me.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I agree about Hebrew National. But I rarely buy hot dogs any more -- whereas I'll buy sausage occasionally (Hillshire Farms turkey sausage or turkey kielbasa, usually).

Sorry, Sarge, I like ketchup on my hot dogs -- along with mustard, relish, and chopped onion. I know that's heretical, but that's how I roll. 8) I also like a good chili cheese dog. There was a drive-in in my hometown that made a killer chili cheese dog, mmm boy.

And my post above was supposed to say "Cincinnati chili pizza", not "Cincinnati cheeze pizza." (That's what I get for not re-reading a post before hitting the "do it" button...)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Menolly wrote: A friend of mine from Buffalo tells me I need to try Sahlen's, I believe they're called.
I don't know...the regular natural casing dogs are basically the definition of dull and bland. [which is fine if you're an Ali-esque dog eater, you eat it for the toppings not the dog] the smokehouse are better, but nothing special compared to other brand equivalents.
OTOH...several local places make excellent kraut...maybe cuz the Sahlen's dogs are boring.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Vraith wrote:
Menolly wrote: A friend of mine from Buffalo tells me I need to try Sahlen's, I believe they're called.
I don't know...the regular natural casing dogs are basically the definition of dull and bland. [which is fine if you're an Ali-esque dog eater, you eat it for the toppings not the dog] the smokehouse are better, but nothing special compared to other brand equivalents.
Good to know. Thanks Vraith!

As far as eating the dogs for the toppings, not the dog, that is what I do when I serve carrot dogs, my vegetarian alternative to hot dogs at pot lucks/cook outs. IMO, they are so much better than nearly all fake meat dogs.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

What, no link for the carrot dogs? What happened to the forum pimp we adore so much? Sadly slipping standards!
:P
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Scroll down to the first recipe in the answer to this Google Answers question. That's my recipe. The suggestion of a marinade sounds intriguing, but I've never used one, since I like the condiments.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Murrin wrote:What's wrong with the idea of hot dog on a pizza?

hot dogs on pizza
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Vraith wrote:...basically the definition of dull and bland. [which is fine if you're an Ali-esque dog eater...
Now hold on just a minute there.

We have here in DC a thing called a half-smoke, which is spicier than your girly-man Oscar Meyer dog and is fabulous with nothin' but mustard. You can get 'em at yer stand-alone food carts along the National Mall (the carts that aren't selling FBI and CIA t-shirts, that is :roll:), or you can go to the source -- Ben's Chili Bowl, where only two people get to eat for free, Bill Cosby and Barack Obama.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

aliantha wrote:
Vraith wrote:...basically the definition of dull and bland. [which is fine if you're an Ali-esque dog eater...
Now hold on just a minute there.
Just another flip-flopper now, Ali? You're on record! For example
YOU wrote: I rarely buy hot dogs any more --
I like [b]ketchup[/b] on my hot dogs -- along with ]mustard, relish, and chopped onion. I know that's heretical

Now that the dogs are flexing their muscles, you're just shifting dogward...until the topic shifts back to cheese and marinara.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

aliantha wrote:Sorry, Sarge, I like ketchup on my hot dogs
Heretic! :lol:
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

What is with Americans and hot dogs? Over here pretty much the only hot dogs I see are these:

Plain ordinary hotdogs. Though I think hot dog vans etc sell higher quality ones, you don't see those around very often (I think I see german sausage stands more than hot dog vans). And wherever you get them here, you always eat them with ketchup and onions (though personally I don't like onions).

I don't think I've actually had a hot dog in a couple of years.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

murrin - why would you need to can a hot do? unless we are talking -----

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Vader wrote:Pizza is dish with thin crust (flour type 00, sea salt, water and only little yeast, but long proofing time, a bit of tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, baked in a stone oven fired with wood at least at 400°C/750F. Everything else might be yummy but it'd not pizza.
Agree! I love italian pizza. The place we get ours does a good replica more or less, even if the owner is from serbia.

Vader, can you post the measures and directions for your dough? I make one with ekologikal wheat, yeast, olive oil, sea salt and honey, but I find it is too heavy and am not satisfied with it.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can

Return to “The Galley”