Batman vs Superman...here we go again...

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

sgt.null wrote:Superman can simply kill Batman with a pinpoint use of heat vision. while standing in Chicago while Bats is in Gotham.

Another excellent point. :biggrin:
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

sgt.null wrote:Superman can simply kill Batman with a pinpoint use of heat vision. while standing in Chicago while Bats is in Gotham.
Wouldn't the curvature of the Earth prevent that? We're not talking about Darkseid's Omega beams.

Or am I just geeking out?
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Wouldn't the curvature of the Earth prevent that? We're not talking about Darkseid's Omega beams.

I thought of that and I believe Superman's vision could not only identify Batman's location through solid rock but also blast a pin point hole through the planet's crust to drill a hole in Batman's forehead instantaneously. That Superman's writers haven't bothered to exploit that particular option is a failing of imagination that sgtnull has no lack of. :biggrin:

DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

As long as Supes flies up to an point where a direct line of sight downward is possible, then yes, it is possible.
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

You guys are missing the obvious: Superman flies around the earth really, really fast until it spins backwards, and then he goes back in time and kill's Thomas Wayne.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

erm...if he flies up, he is no longer standing in Chicago.

picky, picky, picky.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

aTOMiC wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:

I thought of that and I believe Superman's vision could not only identify Batman's location through solid rock but also blast a pin point hole through the planet's crust to drill a hole in Batman's forehead instantaneously. That Superman's writers haven't bothered to exploit that particular option is a failing of imagination that sgtnull has no lack of. :biggrin:
thank you tom. :)

how about this then? Supes uses his x-ray vision to give Bats brain cancer. can't fault him for that, right?

or Supes uses super cold breath freezes Bats, blame sit on Freeze or Cold or Frost.

or super speed he knocks a gargoyle off a Gotham building to crush Bats in his Bat car.

or Supes disguises himself as Ultraman.

point being - no way Bats ever wins if Supes decides he's had enough of the smug bastard.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

sgt.null wrote:Supes uses his x-ray vision to give Bats brain cancer.
Superman's vision does not use x-rays, which would prevent him from looking through other sufficiently dense materials like reinforced concrete, iridium, etc. It is a specialized form of clairvoyance with the limitation "cannot see through lead". The name is a holdover from the 30s and 40s when "x-ray" meant the same thing as "see through anything".

Hashi Lebwohl--the one who rains on parades.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
sgt.null wrote:Supes uses his x-ray vision to give Bats brain cancer.
Superman's vision does not use x-rays, which would prevent him from looking through other sufficiently dense materials like reinforced concrete, iridium, etc. It is a specialized form of clairvoyance with the limitation "cannot see through lead". The name is a holdover from the 30s and 40s when "x-ray" meant the same thing as "see through anything".

Hashi Lebwohl--the one who rains on parades.
Well I suppose it's possible that said "clairvoyance" operates in a manner that could, if used in a concentrated way or there is long term exposure, cause certain human cells to break down giving way to the spread of cancer or cancer-like effect.

Or whatever. :-)

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Batman wins at chess, Superman wins at poker.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

dANdeLION wrote:Batman wins at chess, Superman wins at poker.
I agree with this. They both also realize this which is why we never see them playing chess or poker.

Only the fanboyz every worry about which one could defeat the other, which is part of the reason they are fanboyz.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

but could Superman beat the Hulk?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Every time, yes. Superman has more advantages than the Hulk, most notably flight and heat vision. The Hulk is incredibly formidible on the ground; lift him into the air and the majority of his leverage is gone. The heat vision would make him mad--he would regenerate nearly as fast as the damage occurs--and if he jumps then Superman merely dodges, flying in to hit him in the air. It has also been demonstrated that the Hulk has a shorter time limit on holding his breath than Superman, so flying into low-Earth orbit is the primary tactic to use against the Hulk.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Throw Hulk into the sun. Probably can't regenerate that. Heh.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I believe the only actual battle that Superman and Batman can have is one of philosophy and its in this arena that the two heroes will wage war in the coming film.

There is no believable way to demonstrate a physical battle without looking idiotic. Besides a Kryptonian vs human conflict was demonstrated quite effectively in Man Of Steel in every case where Zod or one of his lackeys treated a human combatant like a rag doll. That's the crux of the oft spoken of Superman vs Batman scenario and it's pointless to pursue it on screen.

In any case the next film will likely depict each hero's approach to crime fighting, moral code and motivation.
I can picture scenes where Superman is chastising Batman for his sometimes dark and brutal approach where Batman counters with the argument that without physical superpowers Batman and heroes like him are forced to use any means necessary to get the job done.

BTW I'm not sure Superman is the guy that wins at Poker. He's not Captain Kirk he's a highly evolved, semi-ignorant alien that is learning about his new home one experience at a time. I believe Batman is probably the guy who wins at poker and wins at chess only so long as Superman is still learning the game. Once Superman's Vulcan-like intellect becomes familiar with the concepts of game-play only a powerful computer has a chance at a stalemate let alone a victory. IMHO.

ALSO with regard to Superman Vs The Hulk I don't yet believe The Hulk's talent for growing stronger the madder he gets has been tested fully for you see "Hulk is strongest one there is!" :-)

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Fist and Faith wrote:Throw Hulk into the sun. Probably can't regenerate that. Heh.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

aTOMiC wrote:BTW I'm not sure Superman is the guy that wins at Poker.
X"-ray vision"--he can see the face-down cards still in the deck and knows which ones are coming up next. He can also see what cards Batman is holding closely to his chest.

wayfriend, that comic details the typical strategy for defeating any "unbeatable" opponent and is one I, myself, have stated before. Excellent find!

aTOMic, don't forget--the Hulk isn't strong without leverage. He needs to be grounded to be effective.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Gripping one arm in each hand and pulling apart doesn't require ground leverage. ;)
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Superman vs. Hulk (1970s DC/Marvel crossover notwithstanding) would be much like the first Superman vs. Doomsday. IOW, they could kill each other, as long as Supes tried to stand toe-to-toe with Hulk.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote: aTOMic, don't forget--the Hulk isn't strong without leverage. He needs to be grounded to be effective.

Well Hashi I guess you didn't see the end of the first HULK movie. Apparently he can fight and defeat a nebulous cloud entity without any leverage at all.

Just saying. :-)

Oh I'm guessing we can assume that Superman will refrain from cheating at poker since he's supposed to be above that sort of thing. Batman however...
Last edited by aTOMiC on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”