Sherlock

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

As usual, I come late to the party. We just discovered Sherlock on Netflix and have watched the first 2 seasons. We're getting ready to watch the last season tonight. Is there going to be another season?
The King has one more move.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Yes, there is a third season already on Netflix.

There is supposed to be a special around Xmas 2015 and a season 4 starting early in 2016.

Great show!
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Season 3 is very good. Especially Eps 2 and 3. (Well, that's practically the whole season, wot.)

There is a season 3 prequel that is available online: Many Happy Returns
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I watched the first episode of season 3. I'm glad there's a season 4 in the works. Thanks, Wayfriend. I'll check that out.
The King has one more move.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I've watched the first 2 seasons. The final episode in season 2 was a pretty cool episode. Looking forward to season 3 if it ever makes it to free-to-air tv... I might even have to get some sort of subscription service.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

First look at the Sherlock special

But when's the next season coming??
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg »

Last time I checked up on it, the word was that production of the 4th season begins in 2016, with it probably airing in 2017.

If they need to take 5 years between seasons to make a show this great then that's ok, but then my friends should have waited 10 years before pressuring me into watching it! :(

So, after Doctor Who, I have no trust of Steven(Stephen?) Moffet, whom previously I lurved. This show totally reversed me, and I've had to eat crow a few times on it.

I never read the 4 books or the 78,839 short stories by Doyle, so when Moriarty and Holmes suddenly died...obviously Holmes would be ok, as season 3 was already out, but I just went straight away to "Mr. Moffet killed Moriarty to try to be edgy and cool, damned hipster. Even if Holmes lives, why bother continuing with the show? Who is he going to face off against from now on? A rly rly smrt pizza delivery guy?" Then they introduced Magnussen(?) and I was liviiid, "way to replace Moriarty with some crappy rip-off character that YOU made up, Mr. Moffet! Who cares about this creepy nerdy old dude?!" (he has been known to screw with -other peoples characters- out of arrogance).

Come to find out both of those things are canon, from the original books/stories.

My current theory is that Moffet can do wonderful things when he has someone (like a producer) to keep him in check. That was the case on Coupling, I am betting it is the case here too. On Doctor Who they just let him run roughshod over everything, on par with Tetsuya Nomura.

Interesting anecdote, I couldn't remember Nomura's name, so I googled "square-enix character designer who sucks" and he came right up. Teeheehee. :lol:

P.S. It's my understanding that in the books Moriarty does commission a gun for Colonel Moran, that would probably qualify as a prototype sniper rifle. I don't think they had a concept of sniper rifles when it was written, but the gun can fire from far away, accurately, and has considerable power? I know Moran uses it, but have no idea if he attempts to use it on Holmes or not.
I know what an analogy is! It's like a thought...with another thought's hat on...?

The thing most people don't remember in regards to the Haruchai, is that you NEVER EVER play poker with them!
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Everything Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat have done with the BBC show Sherlock has been based on canon from the original books. They just updated it and put Sherlock and Holmes in our century. It's not the first time this has been done with the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Magnussen is based on Charles Augustus Milverton, from the original books.

Personally I think the series is wonderful, though I do wish the seasons were not so far apart.

Everyone loves to blame Steven Moffat for everything that they think is wrong with Doctor Who and Sherlock, but at least in the case of Sherlock, Mark Gatiss deserves equal credit (or blame, as the case may be. :twisted: )

Having read a Doctor Who New Adventure by Mark Gatiss, I have to say he has a twisted brain. ;) Very weird story. I may have to read it again some time. :P
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg
<i>Elohim</i>

MsMary wrote:Everything Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat have done with the BBC show Sherlock has been based on canon from the original books. They just updated it and put Sherlock and Holmes in our century. It's not the first time this has been done with the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Magnussen is based on Charles Augustus Milverton, from the original books.

Personally I think the series is wonderful, though I do wish the seasons were not so far apart.

Everyone loves to blame Steven Moffat for everything that they think is wrong with Doctor Who and Sherlock, but at least in the case of Sherlock, Mark Gatiss deserves equal credit (or blame, as the case may be. :twisted: )

Having read a Doctor Who New Adventure by Mark Gatiss, I have to say he has a twisted brain. ;) Very weird story. I may have to read it again some time. :P
I may be unfair to Steven Moffet in regards to Dr Who. i am basing this on the very noticeable decline in the show around when he took over/took the lead, and my hard core fanatical Dr Who fan brother's accounts of behind the scenes drama. Like, Moffet decided to ruin River Song, because he felt that ______ (I forget his name, jeeze) had ruined Jack Harkness. Etc etc, tons of stories like that.

That being said, I have no problems with Sherlock, my only problems were stemming from ignorance, and a desire to blame Steven Moffet for perceived short-comings. I was wondering if Mark Gatiss is the reason Sherlock is so solid, despite Steven Moffet, similar to how Moffet's wife (named?) was the rock, keeping him from screwing up Coupling (and who the character Susan is based on). There, I just did it again, blaming poor Moffet...
I know what an analogy is! It's like a thought...with another thought's hat on...?

The thing most people don't remember in regards to the Haruchai, is that you NEVER EVER play poker with them!
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I actually enjoyed, overall, most of the Eleventh Doctor stories and story-arcs during the time that Moffat took over. There were some clunkers, but there always are. I'm on the fence about how he handled the first season of Twelfth Doctor stories. Reserving judgment till I have time for a re-watch.

My daughter, on the other hand, is one who dislikes Moffat.

I will say, though, it's silly to say that Moffat "ruined" the River story arc. He's the one who wrote the first stories in which River appeared, after all, so we could say she was his character to write as he wished. Don't know how much influence RTD had, but River only appeared in the two stories Moffat wrote during the RTD era.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg wrote:
That being said, I have no problems with Sherlock, my only problems were stemming from ignorance, and a desire to blame Steven Moffet for perceived short-comings. I was wondering if Mark Gatiss is the reason Sherlock is so solid, despite Steven Moffet, similar to how Moffet's wife (named?) was the rock, keeping him from screwing up Coupling (and who the character Susan is based on). There, I just did it again, blaming poor Moffet...
I'm not sure if Mark Gatiss is the reason Sherlock is so solid. It seems to be to be a joint effort, between Gatiss and Moffat. And I will say that I have not been a fan at all of the stories Gatiss has written for the Doctor Who TV series. So I wouldn't necessarily gave Gatiss the credit for the success of Sherlock.

BTW, I believe Moffat's wife is involved in the production of Sherlock also, if I recall correctly.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg
<i>Elohim</i>

Oh maybe it's his wife doing it then! :P

I think really the whole "team effort" thing is probably the most accurate. I am not intending to portray Moffet as a villain, a lot of series can suffer from one person being left in undisputed control. Especially if that series was not their original creation.

I haven't read any since I was a kid, but I imagine franchise comics can/do suffer from this, when one writer becomes so popular nobody questions their decisions.

Like a giant game of 'The Emperor's new clothes'. :?

So on a related note, the PBS series Masterpiece Mystery, has started playing Sherlock. That was kind of a shock to me, that a different show could just adopt and replay episodes of a -currently running- show. I don't imagine they did it without consent or anything, it just struck me as odd. Then again I don't watch Masterpiece Mystery, and I think doing this is actually common for the show, or possibly all the things they play on it are just other shows and they don't produce anything themselves. Anyone know?

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

BBC's Sherlock is certainly not the first Sherlock adaptation, so I don't think there's a rights issue. What makes you think Masterpiece Theatre is adapting from BBC's Sherlock? They're probably adapting from the original stories.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Well, the episode from the other night was not quite what I wanted for the show. It was a fine episode, but probably my least favorite of the show so far.
Then again, I was in the throws of nicotine withdrawal and not pleased about much at the time, so maybe rewatching might be in order.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Cagliostro wrote:Well, the episode from the other night was not quite what I wanted for the show. It was a fine episode, but probably my least favorite of the show so far.
Then again, I was in the throws of nicotine withdrawal and not pleased about much at the time, so maybe rewatching might be in order.
It felt like a lot of setting up going on to me...but I still enjoyed it. Better that than no Sherlock at all...
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Agreed, and it was fun. I just didn't think
Spoiler
Mary's death was deserved, at least not yet.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

It may have been a bit premature, but I still really enjoyed the episode.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

The 2nd episode of the 4th season was released last night, and it was very satisfying. I thoroughly enjoyed it through all its twist in turns. In particular
Spoiler
Ms. Hudson is a badass!
and it was awesome!
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

That was a great episode!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Freakin' love Ms. Hudson. Yeah, that was a MUCH better episode, but still some things seemed very contrived.
Spoiler
Yes, even good people do stupid things, but I really have to say that I just can't buy that Watson would cheat on his wife. The fact he was being played softened the blow a bit, but made it feel all the more contrived because it was a person that they were working into the show. So ready for the payoff in the next episode though.
That serial killer guy was creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy. His love of confessing was very well done, as the BTK serial killer who killed in the 70's around Wichita Kansas when and where I was growing up got caught in the 2000's, and after he was caught, he apparently had a grin on his face while confessing his crimes. He still seems the bogeyman to me.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life

Return to “TV Shows”