Work in Progress

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

You're a braver person than I, Rob, to second-guess Coleridge. All I did was ask a question. ;)

Cag, that song is weird. Just sayin'. :lol:
ussusimiel wrote:We'll get you in on this poetry thing yet, ali! :lol:
I think you've got a long slog ahead of you. :lol: I do like Coleridge's Kubla Khan, though. And I liked the song you linked to. Did you post the link before, in another thread? Seems like I've seen the video before.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

aliantha wrote:You're a braver person than I, Rob, to second-guess Coleridge. All I did was ask a question. ;)
If one must read poetry to write poetry, one should be able to analyze and critique poetry as well ;-)

It was just a suggestion around the iambic pentameter he breaks, to little effect other than distraction...
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

rdhopeca wrote:
aliantha wrote:You're a braver person than I, Rob, to second-guess Coleridge. All I did was ask a question. ;)
If one must read poetry to write poetry, one should be able to analyze and critique poetry as well ;-)

It was just a suggestion around the iambic pentameter he breaks, to little effect other than distraction...
Heresy! *gets his tools out to begin building his crosses*

Sammie Cool is greatest poet there is! :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Orlion wrote:
rdhopeca wrote:

Heresy! *gets his tools out to begin building his crosses*

Sammie Cool is greatest poet there is! :P

:whip:
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Who would have thought that this thread would take a turn into homoerotic BDSM 8O What 'they' say about poetry must be right! :biggrin: (Whatever you do, do not tell the Scands, if Ananda and Frosty get a hint of this they'll be in here with saucy ur-vile and Pony innuendoes and we'll never get to be po-faced again :confused: )

I'm doing a radio show about poetry on a local station this week (grand listenership of 5 :lol: ). It'll be for an hour and I'll get to read some of my poems and talk generally about poetry, writing, workshops etc. It's always an interesting exercise for a poet (or maybe any writer) to look over a selection of their work and see what catches their attention at that time. The most recent poems I read were about sexual love, stillbirth, the Catholic Church and and Islam. Fertility, death and religion, three of the most basic forces in our lives even now in our so-called 'post-modern' world.

I may try and work on the 'Communion' poem I spoke about upthread tomorrow and use Thursday as a sort of a deadline. That works sometimes where the pressure to have something new and fresh brings energy and focus to something that has been lagging along.

I'll let you know how I get on.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Will the station have a means of streaming the program, u.?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yeah, post a link, u. I need to listen and take notes. :D

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Menolly wrote:Will the station have a means of streaming the program, u.?
Here's the link to the radio's website: tcrfm.ie/

I haven't listened to the station yet (and it's not on air right now) so I don't know if that link will actually work. I'll check it this evening and let you know.

I'll be able to get a podcast of the program and I'll post a link here when I do.

u.
Are posted on the door,
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

ussusimiel wrote:

I haven't listened to the station yet (and it's not on air right now) so I don't know if that link will actually work. I'll check it this evening and let you know.

I'll be able to get a podcast of the program and I'll post a link here when I do.

u.
That link works okay. I'm on the show at 7pm GMT, so I think that would be 11am on the West Coast of the US and 2pm on the East Coast.

u.

[EDIT: to fix typo.]
Last edited by ussusimiel on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are posted on the door,
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

ussusimiel wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:

u.
That link works okay. I'm on the show at 7pm GMT, so I think that would be 11pm on the West Coast of the US and 2pm on the East Coast.

u.
More like 11am West Coast time. :)

EZ Board Survivor

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

aliantha wrote:More like 11am West Coast time. :)
Fixed that. Thanks, ali!

u.
Are posted on the door,
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

You're welcome, u. I had to come back and edit my own post -- the first time, I added 3 hours instead of subtracting. :roll: Did I ever mention that I was a liberal arts major...?

EZ Board Survivor

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Double-posting for a good cause! :lol:

u., you were brilliant. :Hail:

I did feel a little sorry for that poor dancer. You and the host kind of monopolized the discussion. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Thanks for tuning in ,ali. It is funny to think it, but I pobably had more people listening to me in the States than I did in Tramore! :lol:

Yeah, poor Roisín was left out a lot. I would have liked her to have read as well, as she had some stuff with her. I was aware that she wasn't getting much of a look in, and I didn't want to tread on Norman's toes by suggesting that she read. She's doing a good bit of radio work at the moment and she was in the station to record a piece in any case, so she may have been okay with just sitting in.

I'll try and get my hands on a recording of the show and post a link ot it.

u.
Are posted on the door,
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

aliantha wrote:Cag, that song is weird. Just sayin'. :lol:
I went by the name and that it shows a picture of the album, but I didn't listen to it as I don't have speakers to do so at work. It should sound kinda Bob Dylan like, and have a modified version of The Second Coming in the middle of the song. Hopefully it was playing the correct song.

THIS is one of the weirder songs of the album (but great lyrics).
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

ussusimiel wrote:I'll try and get my hands on a recording of the show and post a link ot it.
Please do. I was unable to be at a computer at 11:00 am yesterday. :(
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

I'm meeting a writer friend of mine next week. I haven't seen him in more than ten years and I spent some time today putting together a selection of my poems from that time. In the process I basically put together a poetry collection, and may have to accept that I am ready to have a book of poetry. I have resisted this idea for a number of years, because, even though I was writing a lot, I wasn't reading or showing it to that many people. Recently, for whatever reason, I find myself reading more regularly and often handing people a sheaf of poems, because I know that they would like to read them (usually because they have asked for them).

I am still slightly resistant to putting together a book because I like the freedom and flexibility there is in giving someone a handful of loose sheets. Some part of me has an intuition that poems are more likely to be read because of that freedom. It's like poems in a book are both gathered and contained by being put there. As if, once they are in a book, they are in some way defused and safer, and thus easier to ignore.

I must sit with this for a while. With modern technology, the Internet and desktop publishing there is much more flexibility than previously. And my intuition is that with a bit of thought I can come up with a more satisfying and creative way of gathering and presenting the poems. The idea of a single sheet of paper with a poem on it strikes me in some ways as one of the best ways to experience poetry.

u.
Are posted on the door,
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

ussusimiel wrote:Some part of me has an intuition that poems are more likely to be read because of that freedom.

And my intuition is that with a bit of thought I can come up with a more satisfying and creative way of gathering and presenting the poems. The idea of a single sheet of paper with a poem on it strikes me in some ways as one of the best ways to experience poetry.

u.
On the first...I think so. At least part of it is that such an exchange is a more intimate, personal thing. A more immediate, invested relationship. [[in my personal experience, anyway. this ain't the 'tank, so anecdotal is perfectly acceptable.]] :biggrin:

On the second...it kinda has to be related to the first, huh? I think. Somehow the relationship/connection BEFORE the content.
And I hope you CAN come up with a way. [[since personally handing a single sheet with single poem to every reader...though that might be quite an adventure, and poetic in itself]].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Vraith wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:Some part of me has an intuition that poems are more likely to be read because of that freedom.

And my intuition is that with a bit of thought I can come up with a more satisfying and creative way of gathering and presenting the poems. The idea of a single sheet of paper with a poem on it strikes me in some ways as one of the best ways to experience poetry.

u.
On the first...I think so. At least part of it is that such an exchange is a more intimate, personal thing. A more immediate, invested relationship. [[in my personal experience, anyway. this ain't the 'tank, so anecdotal is perfectly acceptable.]] :biggrin:

On the second...it kinda has to be related to the first, huh? I think. Somehow the relationship/connection BEFORE the content.
And I hope you CAN come up with a way. [[since personally handing a single sheet with single poem to every reader...though that might be quite an adventure, and poetic in itself]].
I've been thinking about this a bit more and I'm beginning to understand that the actual act of handing the poems directly to the person is important in the intimacy and personal element you speak about, Vraith. I have been thinking a lot about communion and community over the last while and there is something in this interaction between individual people that speaks to me of this.

u.
Are posted on the door,
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Happy to consult on the publishing thing, if you decide to go that route, after all. :) For me, the hardest part isn't the writing or the publishing -- it's the marketing. :crazy:

Anyway. I've been thinking about the next book. Spent a little time talking about it with Shara_Lunison when she was in town last week, and then I sat down yesterday to write some preparatory notes. I think I'll be drafting the usual sorta-kinda outline (yes, that's a technical term :lol: ) in the next day or so. I expect progress will then stall for a little while, as we'll have houseguests for much of this coming week. But I should be able to start writing the first draft shortly.

EZ Board Survivor

Return to “General Literature Discussion”