Jessica Jones

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

thank you. February first I get to choose. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Finished JJ last week. Agree: really good series. Agree: really good villian. Agree: a lot of setup to hang future shows upon. (I read Luke Cage is going to spin off. Without a doubt the Nurse will be in it.)

One thing worth saying is that a mind-controlling villain can be a very, very scary thing. Jessica Jones walked the line very well. It didn't go over the line into horror, which it could have, but you didn't think Kilgrave was failing to use his full potential, either.

The other thing was that it was nice to see a heroine who wasn't also a beauty queen. Not that Ritter isn't good looking. But usually super heroines are more like Trish. I don't think that there was one scene in 13 episodes where Jessica overcame an obstacle by winking at a man.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Nurse? would that be Night Nurse?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Nurse_%28comics%29

if so, that is a cool obscure hero that is perfect for a series like JJ.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

In the MCU, Sarge, they're using Claire Temple as a nurse rather than having an actual Night Nurse with her secret clinic for heroes. Kind of merging the characters.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I'm Murrin wrote:In the MCU, Sarge, they're using Claire Temple as a nurse rather than having an actual Night Nurse with her secret clinic for heroes. Kind of merging the characters.
wow, even more obscure. Claire Temple in the comics is the ex-wife of Bill Foster (Black Goliath/Giant Man/Goliath) and an ex-girl friend of Luke Cage (Power Man)

would be nice to see Bill Foster get a cameo (or more)

thanks for the info.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Yep. IMDB credits the role as "Claire Temple". And that she's in the Luke Cage TV series. Wherein there is a guy called "Cottonmouth", but not a guy called Goliath.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Cottonmouth is an old Luke Cage villain.

that could work for a tv series. can become truly terrifying.

during the Spider Island series Marvel collected some Power Man villains from the 70's, called them Flash Mob. Nightshade, Chemistro III, Cheshire Cat, Commanche, Dontrell "Cockroach" Hamilton, Mr. Fish II, and Spear.

I wonder how many will show up in the series?

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I couldn't give two craps about comic books or the "MCU" whatever that is.

The first season of JJ was fantastic.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Cail wrote:The first season of JJ was fantastic.
Indeed it was. I haven't seen any indication as to when Season 2 might kick off but they are still moving ahead with the Defenders series so S2 might have to wait a bit.

Iron Fist in March.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yeah, I believe season 2 is the first one lined up for after Defenders.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Cail wrote:I couldn't give two craps about comic books or the "MCU" whatever that is.

The first season of JJ was fantastic.
It really was.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

After watching 2 seasons of Daredevil I was excited about Jessica Jones.
Watched the first episode and a half and gave up. I found the beginnings of the plot to be interesting and the villain looks to be pretty sinister but my problem, so far, is Jessica herself.
I mentioned this in the Defenders thread. She just too prickly. I get she has reason to be but I guess I haven't watched enough of the show to get past her personality. I usually gauge how much a like a character by asking myself if I like spending time with them and with Jessica Jones I do not. At least at this stage of the game. I'm sure her character development will allow her to be more relatable and endearing but the sample size I have thus far just doesn't compute.

However after watching the Defenders and appreciating Jessica in that scenario, I plan to re visit the JJ series and see if I can join the rest of you in your fandom.

And also in the Defenders thread I mentioned Jessica Jones reminds me of what I imagine Linden Avery would be like as a live action character. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Why would you need to like a character to watch them? I doubt any of us would want to spend time with Thomas Covenant...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Under normal circumstances, most average people wouldn't like Jessica very much because she is a misanthrope, holding a distinct dislike of other people. Her personality was bad enough before but Killgrave only made it worse (as he makes nearly everything worse).

Sadly, we still have no hints of Season 2 even though we have good plot hooks: Simpson and Dr. Koslov, all those files on the other kids from Trish's mother's agency and the corporation behind their medical expenses, what if someone finds Reuben's remains, not to mention what might have happened to Killgrave's body--can his virus be extracted and converted into a per-dose usage as a sort of mind control drug?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I didn't find Jessica misanthropic - she had too many friends. I found her to be what I imagine any woman would be if she were not concerned about the things we expect women to be concerned about. Fashion, personal appearance, materialism, having friends, attracting men, etc. (And certainly the Purple Man only made it worse.) I hesitate to say it, but I think if she were a guy, but otherwise exactly the same, she'd be more easily accepted as she is. Cuz she'd be Jim Rockford. :)
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

wayfriend wrote:I didn't find Jessica misanthropic - she had too many friends. I found her to be what I imagine any woman would be if she were not concerned about the things we expect women to be concerned about. Fashion, personal appearance, materialism, having friends, attracting men, etc. (And certainly the Purple Man only made it worse.) I hesitate to say it, but I think if she were a guy, but otherwise exactly the same, she'd be more easily accepted as she is. Cuz she'd be Jim Rockford. :)

Thanks for putting that into perspective, WF.

I WANT to like her. I really do and I intend to give her series and her character more face time. I'm just saying my first encounter didn't leave me feeling positive about the next episode. Just about everyone else blazed through what I felt was a rough spot and went on to truly appreciate the series.

I just aint got there yet. :biggrin:
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

wayfriend wrote:I didn't find Jessica misanthropic - she had too many friends. I found her to be what I imagine any woman would be if she were not concerned about the things we expect women to be concerned about. Fashion, personal appearance, materialism, having friends, attracting men, etc. (And certainly the Purple Man only made it worse.) I hesitate to say it, but I think if she were a guy, but otherwise exactly the same, she'd be more easily accepted as she is. Cuz she'd be Jim Rockford. :)
Exactly. Jessica Jones would fit perfectly in some black-and-white 1940s film noir about a hard-drinking private detective because that is her life. I really like film noir, though, which is why I really liked JJ so much.

Also, Killgrave--a very likeable character with almost no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Exactly. Jessica Jones would fit perfectly in some black-and-white 1940s film noir about a hard-drinking private detective because that is her life. I really like film noir, though, which is why I really liked JJ so much.

Also, Killgrave--a very likeable character with almost no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
Yes, he's a classic sociopath.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

So, what did everyone think of season two? I found it slower and lower stakes than the first season, and I wasn't hugely keen on Trish or Jeri's storylines (which were unrelated to the main plot, not even connecting on a thematic level for the most part), but it was still decent.

Return to “TV Shows”