The Beatles

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Took a road trip to Mardi Gras back when I was in college and that's all we listened to on the way down...12 hours of The Wilburys. I can still hear "Tweeter and the Monkey Man" ringing in my head and I don't mind a bit!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
danlo
Lord

Now we know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall

Post by danlo »

Back in the days of Loric and Kevin, when I was a kid, my fav Beatle songs were Eight Days a Week and Baby's in Black, then when I was around 20 Abbey Road/Sgt. Peppers was where it was at man! Paul is dead, I am the Walrus still the whole "Mean Mister Mustard/ Came in Through the Bathroom Window/ Here Comes the Sun" suite is my alltime fav. I really love that redone newer song, Free as a Bird and of COURSE Blackbird! You were only waiting for this moment to arrive...
fall far and well Pilots!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Abbey Road is da bomb!!!! I like the other suite, Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/In The End, even more.

But hey folks!!!! George's son, Dani, recently announced that George's stuff is going to be released again!!!! 2004, but I'll take it!! I have the Wilbury cd's, but I can't freakin' WAIT for George Harrison!!!!!
-Blow Away
-Here Comes the Moon
-Soft Hearted Hannah
-Faster

And a bunch of others!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

I loved Harrison's songs too.

Here Comes The Sun, Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Give Me Love and My Sweet Lord (esp) ...are some of my faves.

That's good news, F&F. :)
Hellfire
Giantfriend

Post by Hellfire »

Has anyone picked up the soundtrack to "Sam I Am" with Sean Penn? It has all Beatles songs redone by modern rock musicians like Eddie Vedder, Sarah Mcloclin(sp?), Sherl Crow, ect.... I will snatch it up as soon as I see it somewhere.

I like the Beatles but I don't really see myself as HUGE fan since I don't own any of thier stuff. But I did borrow Abby Road once and I liked it very much:)
"Hellfire! Everybody in this whole business, you and everyone keep accusing me of being some sort of closet expert. I tell you, I don't know one damn thing about this unless someone explains it to me. I'm not your bloody Berek."
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, what I've heard of the "Sam I Am" soundtrack is really good! Surprising, since I often don't like covers.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Funny, I was just listening to I Am Sam (I do not like Green Eggs and ham!) and was going to recommend it on this forum in this very thread. 8O The cover of Strawberry Fields by Ben Harper is excellent. The album as a whole is a definite buy for Beatles fans although a couple of the songs are pretty weak.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Hellfire
Giantfriend

Post by Hellfire »

Creepy 8O

Would you listen to it in a box?
Or would you listen with a fox?
Should we play it out in the rain?
Could you play it on a train?

Guess the title is "I Am Sam" :oops: :lol:
"Hellfire! Everybody in this whole business, you and everyone keep accusing me of being some sort of closet expert. I tell you, I don't know one damn thing about this unless someone explains it to me. I'm not your bloody Berek."
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Heh. Probably. :)
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I will listen in a box.
I will listen with a fox.
I would play it in the rain.
I could play it on a train.

I really like these types of jams
I really like this "Sam I Am"! ;)
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I wonder if I am not Joan and I am Sam know each other. Actually, it could be the same person, neh?
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I used to listen to the Beatles all the time as a young teenager (and NO, the Beatles weren't still together at that time :P ) in the early 80's.
I fell away from it for a long time though.
I recently downloaded a bunch of their stuff and wow, I really missed it!
There's lots of stuff out there that doesn't get much airplay too, for those who only hear the same 12 songs over and over and over again on the radio.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Chrysalis
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Chrysalis »

I was brought up listening to The Beatles to a degree. I also had the influences of Led Zepplin, Black Sabbeth, Uriah Heap, Deep Purple, Rainbow to name a few. At only 27 I find many of my peers missed this era which is a shame in my mind.

I can't say I am a huge fan though. I think it was too much of a good thing and I got tired of it.
I actually live about 10 minutes walk from Abbey Road Studios and it never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that travel there to take pictures and write on the walls and walk that crossing each week!
"-People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes."
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

I have noticed that the older I get, more and more of my friends and acquaintances are discovering how amazing the Beatles are. I mean, everyone is raised hearing "I wanna hold you're hand" and "All you need is Love" But you have to sit down, and put in Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Revolver (etc.) to begin to comprehend the amazing amount of talent and joyous accessibility combined with pure guts.

I had to convince most of my friends in high school that they were good. I grew up on Sgt. Peps myself, and people who haven't heard late Beatles themselves, or a whole album just don't get it. I'm not sure Rock will ever see songwriters on their level again. There isn't a track on Abbey Road I would part with. There are, admittedly, one or two I would on the White Album (Revolution 9 and Bungalow Bill come to mind) but the magnificence of their catalogue lies in wait, for each new listener to become joyously embraced by their sound.

I may be waxing poetic a bit, but godamnit, we're talking about the Beatles here! People keep trying to compare the newest hot thing to the Beatles, but I came to the decision recently that there will *never* be another Beatles. Just like there will never be another Led Zeppelin, another Iron Maiden, or another Radiohead, or Wayne Coyne.

Are the Beatles the single greatest rock band of all time? Well, I can't imagine anybody matching their songwriting chops in this lifetime. It's only occasionally that an Album comes along with more than two or three good tracks. Are there more than a handful of Beatles songs that any fan would part with? Most of my misgivings I have already mentioned.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I certainly appreciate the Beatles more now than I did 20 years ago.

But I still don't get excited about their music, and I find that I enjoy their songs far, far more when someone else sings them.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

The thing that amazes me about them is their genius in the studio, once they got past the Epstein era.

Consider that Rubber Soul and Revolver, etc are mixed on a 4-track board for the love of God. Amazing.

Of the 4, John was the greatest wizard/artist.

McCartney was a gifted "tin pan alley" writer born in the rock age.

Harrison was a beautifully stylized master of his craft (to say nothing of his single-handed introduction of eastern instrumentation to Rock).

Ringo...they say that he has the best back-beat in the business, but I think that that is a kind way of saying he was the luckiest sumbitch that ever picked up a drumstick.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Never heard of 'em. What did they do?
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Won the 1000 meter Olympic relay in 1968.

For some reason, people won't shut up about them.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

A Gunslinger wrote:
Ringo...they say that he has the best back-beat in the business, but I think that that is a kind way of saying he was the luckiest sumbitch that ever picked up a drumstick.
That sums it up pretty nicely :)
Won the 1000 meter Olympic relay in 1968.

For some reason, people won't shut up about them.
I loled a little.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I'm not one of those people who just recently found out how great the Beatles were. At age 5 (1977) Sgt. Pepper was my favorite album. I played it over and over, so much that my parents became concerned about my obsessive listening, suspecting Satanic influences lurked somewhere in the music, and destroyed the record. It's tempting use this traumatic experience as the explanation for decades when I lost interest in the Beatles, but love affairs with other bands like Van Halen (junior high school) and Rush (high school) and then jazz fusion (college) are the real explanation. As a bass player, I was seeking ever more challenging music to play, and I thought virtuosity with one's instrument was the definitive sign of Good Music. No one would call any member of the Beatles a virtuoso.

But this leaves songwriting out of the equation, not to mention vocals (much of my favorite music is entirely instrumental). So after wearing out all my CDs, and bemoaning the sad state of new music, I dug out my Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour CDs. My wife really liked them, and asked if we could get more, so at her prodding, I purchased Abbey Road, Revolver, and The White Album.

I'm ashamed to admit I've never listened to these classic albums. Ever. Sure, I've heard the hit singles, but many of these songs were 100% brand new for me. [New music! Damn!] I'm frankly astonished. Abbey Road, in particular, blew me away. I can't get this music out of my head.

So, of course, I'm going to have to buy every damn Beatles album. Any suggestions which ones to get next?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.

Return to “Vespers”