New Dr Who

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

The article is from The Age, an Aussie newspaper.
www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/06/1 ... 93141.html
Soon it will time out and we will have to subscribe to read the article.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Dragonlily wrote:Today's news flash, the Daleks are back in.
Peter Fray wrote:in the face of a wave of protests from Dr Who fans the world over, the BBC and Mr Hancock have agreed that the Daleks will return in the 13-part series, which is now being filmed, but with a tweak to make them more mobile.
I'm excited that Christopher Eccleston is going to play the Doctor. I remember him most from Elizabeth (his scary Duke of Norfolk was as historically incorrect as the rest of the film, but very effective), and the villain in Gone In 60 Seconds. Powerful actor.
Yeah I read about the daleks being back at BBC's website for dr who. I hope that they dont bring back Davros; I am sick of him. He was only ever good in Genesis of the Daleks. I hope they bring back the Sontarans - the best species in Dr Who.
Eccleston was excellent in 28 days later, as well.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Matrixman wrote:So this Billie Piper must be some kind of...musical artist.
That might be putting it a bit strongly. She did spend a few years making noises that could, at a stretch, be described as music. Since then she has done very little except appear frequently in the papers with some ginger sociopath who used to be on the radio.

Billie's acting seems to have gone over all right with critics though. She's in The Calcium Kid, and people thought she was good in the BBCs re-telling of The Canterbury Tales.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Nav wrote:She did spend a few years making noises that could, at a stretch, be described as music.
I was endlessly amused when I about that infamous debacle, where she was "singing live"...and then the cd skipped :lol:
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Billie Piper

Post by taraswizard »

OK, (if this sounds snarky and crabby, good) is there any reason, anyone one the western side of the Atlantic Ocean should have heard of her before her selection for Dr. Who. IOW, the UK folks seem to know all about this lady, and seem to presume everyone else knows all about her. (not meaning necessarily people who post here).
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

New Dr. Who series

Post by taraswizard »

OK, I'm feeling better now.

Anyway as is known, on March 27(?) the new Dr. Who series starring Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper debutted with its premier episode, Rose. OK, well as a side comment along with the premier BBC showed two making of specials, Dr. Who night? and Dr.Who confidential. OMG, these two programs were phenomenal. Compared to other types of making of specials even those done for movies or TV series, these two literally blow you away.
Allan Rosewarne
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

any idea when those of us in the US might ever be seeing these new episodes? or the specials?
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I'm surprised PBS hasn't picked up the new series for the States, dennis. Or maybe they have, but they're just delaying airing it for some reason.

Anyway, I regret I missed the premiere episode, but I caught the 2nd one ("The End of the World") and last night's (the "alien invasion" one). My verdict: I love it! I like the new look, and I think the new Doctor is pretty cool. And now that I've seen Billie Piper, I don't have a problem with her. I also have no problem accepting a Dr. Who series that actually has good production values for a change, heh heh. :D
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

It will start airing in Australia in two weeks.

MM - Dalek looks like to be an excellent story.

Eccleston has pulled out of the series and they have a new doctor.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Loremaster wrote: Eccleston has pulled out of the series and they have a new doctor.
8O He's quit already?? After just one season's worth of episodes? Good grief...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Yep, it is indeed sad, because Eccleston was an excellent choice.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

yea its the guy who played Casanove on BBC1
David Tenant
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

That's him.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I saw the first episode of the new Dr Who - LOVE IT!!!!
I have nothing but praise.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

both rose and the docter are leaving (chirstopher eccelston and billie piper)
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Billie Piper and Christopher Eccleston

Post by taraswizard »

To be clear, Billie Piper is not leaving until after season 2 starts and about 1/3 to 2/3 of the new episodes are filmed. AFAIK, she will be in the planned Christmas special.

FWIW, I do not believe that Chris Eccleston's leaving after one sason is a surprise, nor is it unexpected ( IOW, I believe that CE went into this with the uderstanding he would only do one or two seasons). AFAIK, CE was not on any of the lists for consideration when the original casting decisions were being begun; however, David Tennant was on those lists. According to some interviews I've seen or heard of it was Mr Eccleston's decsion to contact the casting staff to put himself into contention for the series.
Allan Rosewarne
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Glad you like it, LM! :D

I'm going to miss both Eccleston and Piper. Way too short of an "era" for these two. I think they had good chemistry together. It just isn't fair!
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

I heard it was Ian Hislop (Editor of the Private Eye) who be the new Dr Who :P
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

By the way, the ratings for the show are very very high; it beat every show that night it was on. And in britain it is doing exceptionally well!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I had no idea there even was a new Dr. Who show! Dr. Who cons (Omnicon in Miami) were the first I've ever attended. I've had the privilege of shaking Jon Pertwee's, Peter Davidson's, and Colin Baker's hands, as well as Nicholas Courtney's (the Brigadier), Anthony Ainley's (The Master #2), and John Nathan-Turner's (producer).

Is JN-T inovolved in the production of the new series in any way?

Return to “TV Shows”