My ultimate to play TC in a film version

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Lord Doom
Woodhelvennin

Post by Lord Doom »

I'm suprised no one has mentioned this, but Viggo M. could pull off the Unbeliever easily.

Even though he was in Lord of the Rings, I still think he could do it.

The ultimate would be:

BRUCE CAMPBELL

I challenge anyone to find a flaw in that.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Lord Doom wrote:I'm suprised no one has mentioned this, but Viggo M. could pull off the Unbeliever easily.

Stephen R Donaldson wrote:Well, thanks to LOTR, Viggo has probably become too expensive. But I can't see him as Covenant anyway: he doesn't seem to have the emotional range--or the emotional extremes--to play Covenant.
Invain
Giantfriend

Post by Invain »

I don't really see Viggo as Covenant, good to hear that he's not an option. Besides, he would cause more unnecessary comparisons with LOTR.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Murrin wrote:
Lord Doom wrote:I'm suprised no one has mentioned this, but Viggo M. could pull off the Unbeliever easily.

Stephen R Donaldson wrote:Well, thanks to LOTR, Viggo has probably become too expensive. But I can't see him as Covenant anyway: he doesn't seem to have the emotional range--or the emotional extremes--to play Covenant.
I have to agree there; Viggo is not an impressive actor. His performance in LOTRs was bland.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

To be honest, Mortensen is a good TV actor and not much more (which was exactly what I thought when he was cast). He had (debatably) the right look and just enough gravitas to make a good Aragorn though.

The more I think about it, the more I realise just how difficult a role TC would be for an actor. Not only must the difficult issues of the rape and leprosy be addressed, but also the actor will have to play Covenant as the frustrating SoB that he is (during the 1st chrons anyway) without turning off the audience completely. To my mind, it is impossible to underestimate just how challenging this role will be, and I think we'll probably have to sacrifice the look of the guy for his ability to perform (please God, not the other way around. Not after Tarzan, the series).
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
KATIE
Servant of the Land

Post by KATIE »

I like the choice of Harrison Ford
Lord Doom
Woodhelvennin

Post by Lord Doom »

BRUCE CAMPBELL

If he can pull off Evil dead, then he can be Thomas Covenant.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Nav wrote:To be honest, Mortensen is a good TV actor and not much more (which was exactly what I thought when he was cast). He had (debatably) the right look and just enough gravitas to make a good Aragorn though.

The more I think about it, the more I realise just how difficult a role TC would be for an actor. Not only must the difficult issues of the rape and leprosy be addressed, but also the actor will have to play Covenant as the frustrating SoB that he is (during the 1st chrons anyway) without turning off the audience completely. To my mind, it is impossible to underestimate just how challenging this role will be, and I think we'll probably have to sacrifice the look of the guy for his ability to perform (please God, not the other way around. Not after Tarzan, the series).
But let us not overblow just how hard the role will be. There have been harder roles to play.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Christian Bale or Johnny Depp.

Has anyone ever mentioned Edward Norton?
The King has one more move.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Somebody did mentioned Edward Norton somewhere, and I agree, he has the range and the look.

Bruce Campbelll is a no for me. I've never seen him in a serious role. He's always the action hero or the comic relief. He's good at what he does, and he's one of my favorite actors, but Covenant is no action hero, and I challenge you to find something funny about the role.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Lord Doom
Woodhelvennin

Post by Lord Doom »

You don't touch Johnny Depp, and you criticize my choice of Bruce Campbell?

If given a chance, I truly believe Bruce could pull this one off.

No, there is nothing funny in The Chronicles, but Bruce is da man
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Not a Depp fan, either, for this role. He's all wrong for it. He has the talent, for sure, but he doesn't have the look, or the air. I'm all for them casting a relative nobody, like Mortensen in LOTR. That way you'll see Covenant, not Johhny Depp or Ed Norton or whoever.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Invain
Giantfriend

Post by Invain »

I'm all for them casting a relative nobody, like Mortensen in LOTR. That way you'll see Covenant, not Johhny Depp or Ed Norton or whoever.
I'll double that - a barely known actor can do well, without unnecessary comparisons to other characters he acted. It worked for LOTR, why wouldn't it work for Chonicles?

Cheaper too.
Lord Doom
Woodhelvennin

Post by Lord Doom »

I concur
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I know Christopher Walkin has been disscused before, But I was thinking about him the other day. I pictured a few choice quotes from the book, in his style, things like, "I'm NOt your bloody Berek.", or "Don't touch ME!"
I'm changing my vote to him now.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I still like Liam Neeson for TC, except that now he may be too old to play 1st Chronicles TC. But I can definitely see him saying "If I'd wanted visitors I would've posted a sign!"
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

dlbpharmd wrote:I still like Liam Neeson for TC, except that now he may be too old to play 1st Chronicles TC. But I can definitely see him saying "If I'd wanted visitors I would've posted a sign!"
I see Liam Neeson as Lord Mhoram!
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I can see that too. He certainly has the crooked features for Mhoram.
Warmark Jay
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Warmark Jay »

If memory serves, TC is in his 30's in the first chronicles - correct?

I think Gary Oldman would be an interesting choice.
"That must be the King."
"How do you know?"
"He hasn't got sh*t all over him."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Before you call me nuts, imagine it in your mind for a while.

Thomas Hayden Church ( try this )

(If you don't know who that is, the anwer to this and all such questions can be found at IMDB.com.)

A Plus: looks like the author sorta (a not-so-secret secret key ingredient)

A Plus: could say "hellfire and bloody damnation" and mean it seriously

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”