Half Blood Prince due July 16th!

And the Harry Potter series.

Moderator: Menolly

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

By the time I got back from Virginia and was able to get to the library to put my name on the waiting list, I was #400. This was at least a month before the book came out. On the day of release, I came pretty close to snagging one of those copies they put out on a first-come-first-serve basis. Missed it by about five minutes.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Ariadoss
Woodhelvennin

Post by Ariadoss »

Ouch! That would be annoying. :P
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Yeah, just a bit. ;) And by the time my name was up on the waiting list, my friend had read her copy, sent it to me, and I had read it and sent it back. There is no way I'm doing that again.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
duke
Giantfriend

Post by duke »

Does anyone know how many pages the new book will be?

Ooh, amazon.com says it will be 672 pages. Sweet! :D
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Shorter than OotP, from what I understand (*pouts*) but still plenty long!

Checked J K Rowling's website. No new tidbits on HBP, but she's refuted a couple of new, rumors, which is always amusing.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

duke wrote:Does anyone know how many pages the new book will be?

Ooh, amazon.com says it will be 672 pages. Sweet! :D
Isn't that one of Amazon's stock pagecounts? The ones they stick on everything they're completely clueless about?
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

The realease of the HP books it a huge deal with the bookstores.
I was still driving a truck when POA came out; we had the contract to deliver them to all the bookstores on a certain...when they all showed up a week early, some of them got delivered, and when the distributers found out that some stores had them a wek early, we had to go BACK to all the stores and pick them back up again to hold for another week!
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Those National Lay-Down dates are fierce. Did anyone hear, with OtP came out, about the guy who worked at one of the UK printers who snagged a copy and took it home? If I remember right, they fined him a bundle, he lost his job, and almost had to do jail-time.

Some coworkers of mine went to tour one of my company's printers a couple of weeks ago, and found out that the reason our manufacturing schedules are so tight right now is that nearly ever major printer in the country is working on turning out copies of Half-Blood Prince.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Myste wrote:Those National Lay-Down dates are fierce. Did anyone hear, with OtP came out, about the guy who worked at one of the UK printers who snagged a copy and took it home? If I remember right, they fined him a bundle, he lost his job, and almost had to do jail-time.

Some coworkers of mine went to tour one of my company's printers a couple of weeks ago, and found out that the reason our manufacturing schedules are so tight right now is that nearly ever major printer in the country is working on turning out copies of Half-Blood Prince.
Wow. I've never really thought about how long it takes to meet such a huge demand before. And the release date is still more than 2 months away.

The difference between how mildy succesful authors like SRD and hugely popular ones like JKR are treated are amazing. Remember the little uproar we had here over that Christian author who seemed to have "borrowed" SRD's ideas for his books? We ended up deciding it wasn't even worth bothering anyone about.

Now imagine if someone did that to HP... even if the market was as small as that guy's and s/he couldn't find a publisher for subsequent books (like that guy). You know the major publishers that own the HP rights would be all over it in a heartbeat.

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

True 'nuff. Has anyone seen the "Barry Trotter" parody books? They're not that funny, but they caught on in some places--JKR's business people tried to sue the author for copyright infringement, and got blasted out of the ballpark--parodies are (for the most part) free & clear under current fair use policies. You can try to shut them down, but it usually doesn't work. Still, the fact that JKR's people even got it into court at all shows how much power she has in BookWorld. It's immense. And if she ever decided to use her power for evil (as in the case of surpressing legitimate parody), we could be in trouble. Seriously, if the litigation against the Barry Trotter parodies had succeeded, it might have rewritten the fair-use laws.

(Fact is, the Barry Trotter books are amusingly unfunny, except to people who actively dislike Harry Potter. I mean, Bored of the Rings is funny even for people who like Tolkien. BT is just sour grapes--which is probably what JKR's attorneys were objecting to.)
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Ariadoss
Woodhelvennin

Post by Ariadoss »

When I met Donaldson a few months back I told him about that Gideon's Watch book, all he had to say was that, "Plagiarism has its own rewards."
I just wonder what kind of rewards it offers... :lol:
Ariadoss
Woodhelvennin

Post by Ariadoss »

It's Gideon's Dawn, isn't it, lol, what's the difference? (I didn't really forget the title, hehe) :P
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Myste wrote: (Fact is, the Barry Trotter books are amusingly unfunny, except to people who actively dislike Harry Potter. I mean, Bored of the Rings is funny even for people who like Tolkien. BT is just sour grapes--which is probably what JKR's attorneys were objecting to.)
Some people just don't get Barry Trotter. I love that trilogy. The final book was so poignant. I can't believe I won't get to read any more books about Lon Measly and Lord Valumart.

Return to “J.K. Rowling Forum”