Hey...

A haven for game threads.

Moderator: Damelon

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Resources
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Strategic Bombing Raids
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

Total destruction
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

U-boat?
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

V-bomb

(never played A&A, but I thought it'd fit) :)
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Winston Churchill
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I just bought Axis and Allies Revised edition
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

What do you think about the new units
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

LOVE them.
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

That's the version with the two hit battleship, right? That can take the first hit in any combat? That's pretty great. And the subs actually 'submerge' instead of quick retreat...
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Two hit battleships, and they heal at end of turn. Subs can submerge. Artillery confers 3 defense to infantry (one to one basis).
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Oh! Yeah, I remember the artillery. Doesn't that work with attacking too.

How's the gameboard look, any major changes to borders, etc?
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Artillery only works with defense. As for the gameboard, the regions are coloured based on the nation - so Germany start regions are grey, British Empire regions are tan, etc. The board is dark. There are more neutral territories, such as Sahara and Mongolia, that you cannot move through. Russia and the US have gained more territories.

They have increased Germany's IPC amount at the start, so it now has 2nd highest production.
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

That's good. Have you played enough to know whether or not the axis disadvantage is significant?
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Will play the first game next week.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Well, I played Axis and Allies Europe on the weekend with two friends. I played the Axis and my friends took the allies. Here are some pics which show how the game went:

Set up and first turn.

Second turn (Germany's eastern invasion didn't go so well, however I really hammered the convoys in the atlantic with my glorious U-Boats.

Third turn (Germany has pretty much won the Battle of the Atlantic - destroying almost all convoys and sinking the British fleets without losing so much as a single ship; USA cant get its transports across to help the Soviets. However, the Eastern front has ground to a halt)

Fourth turn (The Soviets have built up a major defense that is almost impossible to break at this stage - given that German industry outstrips their production, it's a matter of time before I get the armies to such a size to permit a major invasion. The African campaign is working well as I now have pushed into Egypt and seizing the oil fields. I still control the Atlantic)

Fifth turn (Taking a gamble I invade Russia from the south, including two successful tank blitzes out of the Middle East - securing the oil fields. The US and UK cannot bring their ships to support the Soviets as my Wolf packs of U-Boats are sinking everything, thus I can send my armour and infantry into Russian territory)

Sixth turn (Russia mounts some serious offensives but all it does is weaken their manpower, and since I outstrip their production I can easily take the casualties knowing that I'll have more troops in the East by the time the Soviets re-arm. The US has decimated my fleets, but I can afford to build more Battleships and U-Boats; however, the US and UK fail to land a single unit of infantry or tanks in Europe, though they retake the convoys)

Seventh turn (Germany now surrounds Moscow and almost controls all of Europe, and the Atlantic is dominated by my fleets; it is too late for the US and the UK to send support for the embattled Soviets)

Eight turn - Moscow falls and Germany wins the war in Europe.

My two strategies payed off - using Admiral Donitz's strategy of focusing on U-Boat production and uniting them into Wolf Packs, and using tanks to blitz through the Middle East. It's essential for Germany to focus on preventing the US and Uk sending transports across the Atlantic, thus freeing up my armies to hammer the Soviets in the East. The Allies really put up a great defense - especially in the East, as my invasion slowed right down. It didn't help Russia, however, that my fleets were so damn successful in the Atlantic.
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Pretty interesting... Definately, pushing the moscow offensive into germany is usually a total disaster. If they can't get further allied support, they really just need to bunker up and pray. Or whatever they do when they don't have a chance :)
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

JemCheeta wrote:Pretty interesting... Definately, pushing the moscow offensive into germany is usually a total disaster. If they can't get further allied support, they really just need to bunker up and pray. Or whatever they do when they don't have a chance :)
Agreed. Really, the Soviets are there just to take the brunt of the attack and hope the allies get into Europe asap.
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Off topic: What was I thinking by naming this thread "Hey..."?!
How very on topic :) :) :)
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

JemCheeta wrote:Off topic: What was I thinking by naming this thread "Hey..."?!
How very on topic :) :) :)
Yeah, it is a weird title. ;)

A&A is the best.

Return to “In Pursuit of Mallory”