Just finished Runes -- my reactions, FWIW

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I tend to argee with hamako--I'll admit I was initially shocked by the language used--and as a behavior teacher I work against such usage. But after the Gap and the fact the it's more commonplace nowadays... :roll:

BTW--I love your sig hamako! Cortez the Killer by Neil Young! :S
fall far and well Pilots!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

hamako wrote:All depends how you view expression of intense emotion through language I suppose.
Well, considering I tend to speak like SRD writes, the florid style seems more real to me :roll:
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I didn't even notice that there was profanity in Runes. Seriously. I have no memory of it at all.

I think it has to do with what you're comfortable with. To me it's always been absurd that certain words are "bad." How the hell can a word be bad? I have a friend who's dad's name is Dick. Why is his name okay, but I can't use that word in polite conversation to mean, "penis"? It's okay to say, "penis," so the MEANING of the word isn't what is offensive. So am I left to conclude that it's just the sound of the word that's bad? Tell that to my friend's dad. It makes no sense.

I have such an indifference to society's language taboos, that I let my four-year-old curse. As long as he doesn't curse at daycare, I don't care. He thinks Team America is hilarious (he's right!) and routinely quotes the movie.

They are just words, people. Damn effective ones, too.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”