World of Warcraft

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I wouldn't want to play on a roleplay server, too restricted in what I am allowed to say.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Oh well. I love the seriousness of roleplay, and hate the PvP. Well, it was worth a try (like my Gap game).
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

ive got a 2 week free trial of this so you might see me running about somewhere. :P
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

The PvP is my favourite part of the game. It's the only way to really measure yourself against other human players!
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

For me, and this is not a criticism of others, I love to immerse myself in a fantasy world. The reward is to see my character grow, to see him interact with others in the world and just to explore. That's why I love RP. Story: Two nights ago I am exploring a region with windmills full of undead. Finding it difficult to find a particular undead npc. So I run into a female orc player and ask her if she had seen this character. This player had her character respond as a low-intelligent orc and lead me around as though she was confused. In the end she couldn't help me. But that's not the point - the point is that for several minutes I 'lived' my character. It was great.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I've not even reached level 20 yet, so I'm not really fussed about PvP. To be honest though, I don't see myself going too far down that road. If it's gamer one-upmanship I'm after, I'll just play Halo. I really like questing in groups, but I've only done small quests so far. I've got my first dungeon quest, but it's still red. Might try that one at the weekend with some clan buddies.

I quite like the idea of the role-play servers. I didn't really understand what it entailed initially, but I may start off my Tauren in one. One thing I do know though, is that you can't have Horde and Alliance characters on the same server. I've also been advised to stick to the Alliance until I know what I'm doing, as Horde players tend to a) be very good and b) take things quite seriously.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

as Horde players tend to a) be very good and b) take things quite seriously.
I'm not really sure about that. I've not noticed any particular difference in skill level between horde and alliance, but horde do tend to take things more seriously, so I stick to alliance. There are few things more annoying than getting into a group only to find you're among a bunch of people who take themselves too seriously, and expect you to do the same.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Nav wrote: One thing I do know though, is that you can't have Horde and Alliance characters on the same server. I've also been advised to stick to the Alliance until I know what I'm doing, as Horde players tend to a) be very good and b) take things quite seriously.
Actually, you can have horde and alliance characters on the same server; I had a night elf and a Forsaken.

The server I am on needs Horde players - the horde are outnumbered 2 to 1. Too many Night Elves, as well.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

The Horde are always outnumbered, although it's only about 60/40 on Runetotem. Darnassus is practically deserted at the moment, whether this is because of a decline in Night Elf numbers or because of the closing of the auction house I don't know.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Hey everyone, post an image of your character!
Last edited by Loredoctor on Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Great idea, I'll do it when I get home. Your guy looks scary, although that is somewhat offset by what looks like a baby seal in the bottom corner there.

Played a lot of WoW at the weekend. I'm level 23 now and did my first dungeon. I accidentally ninja looted one of the bosses though, and was roundly chastised by the group. Lucky I was with guild-mates or I could have been in a lot of trouble. At least I understand the looting system now :oops:

Thinking over the idea of a TCTC Guild, I realised that we could use the Land's own rank system: Eoman (I don't remember if this is the right singular term), Haft, Warhaft, First Haft, Hiltmark, Warmark, Lord, High Lord, ur-Lord.

I've shamelessly poached the idea from this old Diablo Guild I stumbled across: The Lords of Revelstone
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Great ideas, Nav. :)

The baby seal image is the 'passive' option button for my summoned demon.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

accidentally ninja looted one of the bosses though, and was roundly chastised by the group. Lucky I was with guild-mates or I could have been in a lot of trouble. At least I understand the looting system now
Could you explain what you actually did? Ninja looted? :?

TC guild sounds great, if i buy this im definalty in.

PS> I get to be the Warmark! :P
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I have no idea about where the prefix came from, but in this instance I didn't quite understand what was going on with the 'need & greed' looting system.

I'd gathered from other group quests that if someone finds a green item, you get the choice to either pass on it or make a dice roll for it. In need & greed when a green or above item is found, each player looks at it and if they need it (i.e. they can use it and it's better than their current item) they type 'n' and if they just want to sell or disenchant it, they type 'g'. If everyone greeds, you all roll. If anyone needs, they roll and the greeders don't. It's a fair system, as long as nobody abuses it, but it is a bit confusing.

It's less important for a 'bind on equip' item, as you can just trade it to the person who needs it as long as you don't actually put it on. The real problem is with 'bind on pickup' items, which can only be sold to a vendor or disenchanted. In my case the timer on the dice roll made me panic, I glanced at the item (a pretty good cloth belt that I could wear at my level) thought I might need it and rolled. It turned out that the belt I already had was better (the +attributes were better for my class anyway) and another party member really did need it. I won, it was bind on equip, the party went mad. The guy I'd screwed over was okay about it though as this was just his alternative character, he'd already trained his first to level 60. Lesson learned though.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

:? that sounds very confusing!

Think i might just get a few people mad before i work it out!

Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

The easiest way to go about it is, if the roll pane appears, have a good look at the item and if you would equip it right now (or would if you weren't a level or two too low) say 'n' and roll. If aren't going to equip it, say 'g' and either pass or wait for everyone else to say 'g' before you roll. Simple :twisted:

Anyway, here's my dude looking all shadowy and rogue-like:

I've decided that the game looks best when played at around dawn:
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Love the second image, Nav!

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Loremaster, your char looks a bit like Raziel from the Soul Reaver games.

WoW sounds a little more involved than what I'd want from a game; I'm really more of a single-player person anyway, and that whole item-collecting thing sounds a little complex. Guild Wars just randomly assigns each item to a party member (and they can be traded straight away, anyway).
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I've never played Soul Reaver, so it is hard for me to comment. I will check into it, though.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

Here's one of me on my horse in Dun Morogh:

and one of me killing my lunch:

Return to “PC & Console Games”