What would you do if you won the lottery?

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

I don't believe anything would corrupt you, Duchess.
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

1) Finish school. Stay at work for a bit to gain some more experience. Invest the money while I'm not using it.

2) After that's done, pay off my and my mom's bills, student loans, mortgage, etc.

3) Fix the house. Convince Mom to move out. Donate it to charity so a family who couldn't otherwise be able to afford it could live here (because, for some inexplicable reason, people <i>like</i> it here).

4) Buy a farm in central/northern MD, about 200 acres in size, with some land around it that I could possibly buy up in the future.

5) Buy another farm, same size if possible, somewhere in New England (because I hate summer down here).

6) Turn both farms into horse/farm animal rescue and troubled/under-priviledged kids' centers. The kids would learn to ride, take care of the farm and animals, have a safe place to visit/live, as well as automatic scholarships for, at the least, two years of community college/vocational school.

7) Find a handful of good, young riding horses so my mom, friends and I can finally go ride instead of just visit the Fuzzy.

8) Start a gift shop somwehere (probably New England) that sells primarily local art, because I hate going to a gift shop and finding stuff made in China.

9) Make sure there's enough money left for my mom to travel wherever she wants.

10) Make an offer on my best friend's parents' house when they finally move out. The thing is going on ninety or a hundred years old, and we've already got about six people willing to chip in to buy it. Letting that house get sold to somebody who wouldn't love it like we do would be a shame.

11) See if my friends need money to pay off school, start businesses or just generally get on their feet.

12) Donate money to my old school to fix up their equipment, barns and pastures, and to buy them the farm next door if possible. Also set them up a fund to hire one really high-class instructor or have a series of them do regular clinics, so that the program can really put itself on the map. Also donate to the biology and political science departments for better equipment, more resources and more professors.

13) Basically donate whatever's left that isn't needed for fiscal of real maintenance purposes. Some to the field research station I'm going to next week, some to reopen the AIDS clinics that had to leave the county this year, some to local kids' programs, some to international aid programs, some to environmental causes, some to unusual scholarship funds (like ones for horseback riders, fantasy writers, skeet-shooters, wildlife rehab... you know, odd stuff you can do and wish you could get school money for).

I suppose this would have to be a huge sum of money...
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

1. pay off bills - funny how that is the top of everyone's list.
2. get a passport
3. travel travel travel.
4. finish screenplay
5. Make the film.
6. Have babies.
7. eventually die.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I would probably continue living pretty much as I am living now, except I would use some of the money to make some much needed repairs on my house and pay for my kids' college tuitions, which are pricey (right now, it is a bit of a stretch to pay out the money). I might quit my job and do lactation consulting more, and do a lot more volunteer work for La Leche League. I would give a lot more money to our favorite charities.

Just for starters. :)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

1. Hire an attorney and/or and accountant.
2. Pay off all my debts.
3. Pay off all my sons debts.
4. Pay off all my father-in-laws debts. (If he has any, that is)
5. Buy a summer home, Wisconsin or UP Michigan perhaps? It's too damn hot here!

After that, who knows?
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
Cate
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cate »

First I would "get the hell outa Dodge!" ha,
and then take my time figuring it out.
"let the storm of thought spend itself. Presently you will arrive upon a calm sea."......Walter Lanyon
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Gosh! 8O Where ya been girl?
fall far and well Pilots!
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

Hmmm... well being too poor to have much in the way of bills... I would pay off my student loan which isn't very much... a couple thousand. Ok, so that is it for bills other than utilities that I have to keep up with or life gets messy.

Second, my little blue easter egg with wheels ('94 Geo Metro) wants to become a mini van with an integrated entertainment system with power everything when it grows up. I would fulfill it's wish.

Third, I would get out of this trailor trash park I am in and buy me a decent house by the kids' school.

I would finish my last year of school to get my BA just because I know I did it.

The kids already have college funds thanks to the ex's family money, but I would still set aside accounts for them anyway. Even if they have college taken care of, this money could help them get a first car and maybe a house later.

I would invest some money.

Not only will I get the spazy dog fixed (due in a month or so) I would send her butt to Man's Best Friend or something like that so soneone can train her overly intelligent, ADHD, furry hiney. Too bad they don't make ritalin for dogs. Yeesh.

I would hire someone to help me with the kids so I can have breaks and to help with some of the cleaning as well.

Also the person I hired to help would be around so I could start writing again.

I would buy a cottage in England so I can go there to visit and maybe a beach house in Galveston since my favorite sister-in-law and brother moved to Houston.

As the kids get older (like teens) I would have money set aside to foster some kids.
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

I'd probably just give it all away or donate it to people and places that really need it. I know it sounds corny, but that's what I'd try to do. Heh.-jay
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

I'd build a money bin, have the cash converted into coinage, and swim through it like Uncle Scrooge.
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Best answer ever
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Depends on how much we're talking about, but I'd build myself a little getaway and tinker. Something along the lines of The Island of Dr. Moreau.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

Tithe, first thing (not sure where it would go, exactly...probably women's shelters and Pregnancy Care Centres) pay my parents back for the education money they've given me, pay the rest of my tuition, then buy a small house (get into the housing market and be free of rent-paying!)...haven't really thought about where the rest would go. I don't really need anything (even those last two things are simply what I'd like, not what I need)...prolly just invest some for the future and donate the rest to various things.
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Cail,

Or the Island of Monte Cristo? ;)
Last edited by Lord Mhoram on Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Heh.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

If I won the lottery, I would so style myself after the Count of Monte Cristo.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Not the Marquise de Sade?
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Screw that guy.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Oh, he'd like that.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

;)

Wasn't he the one with all the sex slaves? That crazy bastard.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”