What Film Moment is your Favourite?

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

prom_star wrote:American Psycho -- the end. I still can't figure it out
i can't remember the film all that well but i've read the book several times, in the end NOTHING happens, implying that Patrick just goes on about his psycho business!! :throwup:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Not thirty minutes, but the best opening of any movie, ever, is Two Towers.
<struggles to remember opening of Two Towers, fails, resolves to watch it tonight>
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

When Caine first meets Master Po in the original Kung Fu pilot.

When Cord finally gets to look in the Book of Zetan in Circle of Iron.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I also enjoyed the moment in One Night at Macoy's (sp?) where Elizabeth Tyler is washing the car... :twisted:

Do you wonder why? ;)
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

the first great film moment that came to mind:

Miller's Crossing: the confrontation scene between Tommy, Casper and The Dane with the boxer... wow, chilling great movie making.

another Coen Bros. moment:

The Hudsucker Proxy: when the whole development, making, shipment and selling of the hoolahoop goes on, ending with the littel boy sending children in to a buying frenzy once he strts using it. I always get shivers when I see that moment.

Monty Python in Search of the Holy Grail: The opening bit when Arthur rides up to the first castle and they begin their argument about the coconuts. Absolutely hilarious!

Oh, another I like because I just made my wife watch it, from An Officer and A Gentleman (the gritty version of Top Gun --- basically same story)... when Gere's character is held back from a weekend rest and is forsed to do gruelling work outs with the drill instructor. He is demanded to quite, which he won't and when he is TOLD he will be kicked out, Gere's character absolutely loses it and the hard demeanor drops: "I got nowhere else to GO!"
Again another shivers moment for me becasue Gere is just so damn convincing there. Great acting.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Usivius wrote: Monty Python in Search of the Holy Grail: The opening bit when Arthur rides up to the first castle and they begin their argument about the coconuts. Absolutely hilarious!
It's brilliantly done. Sets the tone of the movie so well. :lol:

Platoon: I forget the characters' names, but when Berenger's character is about to kill Sheen's, there's an explosion behind Sheen, and Berenger's eyes light up red from the blast. Lasts about a second, if not less, but I love it.

Mr. Roberts: Older movie about a Navy supply ship in the Pacific during WWII. The crew coming back from liberty... priceless. Hoisting the drunks up with the cargo net, the stolen goat named "Property of," and the guy who "forgot" his motorcycle in the water after he drove if off the dock. There's also a scene where the laundry room explodes that's hilarious. If you haven't seen this movie, you ought to look it up.

Hunt for Red October: "One ping only." That point of no return, as it were. You gotta love Sean Connery.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Hunt for Red October: "One ping only." That point of no return, as it were. You gotta love Sean Connery.
Great movie - I like how the transition is made from speaking Russian to English, it's very effective.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Great movie - I like how the transition is made from speaking Russian to English, it's very effective.
I LOVE that movie.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

A couple:

The charge of the English cavalry riders and their impending meeting with the scottish wooden spears in Braveheart.

Daniel Day Lewis screaming at Madelaine Stowe "Stay Alive....Just stay alive! I will find you!" in the Last of the Mohicans.

The resurrection scene at the end of The Passion of the Christ where you only see Jesus' hand pass in front of the camera and you can see the hole where he was crucified.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Brinn wrote:Daniel Day Lewis screaming at Madelaine Stowe "Stay Alive....Just stay alive! I will find you!" in the Last of the Mohicans.
aw yeah! good one!!! the ONLY thing i've ever liked this actor in!!! :thumbsup:
to one of them?

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Hey, that reminds me of another fav of mine. When what's his name runs from the fort, just running as fast as he can, not looking around or trying to defend himself, while the two are shooting would-be attackers as they approach the runner. Very cool!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

favorite scenes

Post by taraswizard »

This changes over time, currently my top two are (neither are single scenes):

It starts when The Bride enters the sushi establishment of Hatori Honzo and ends when O-Ren Ishii leaves the room she and her minions occupy to view The Bride holding the arm of Sophie Fatale and The Bride says 'you and I have unfinished business'. (This first one will probably make people think I'm a sicko)

Next I've posted before. It starts with Kinf Theoden emerging from the great hall of Rohan and he says 'Where s Thedric? Where's my son?' and ends with the people of Rohan arriving at Helm's Deep.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Fist and Faith wrote:Hey, that reminds me of another fav of mine. When what's his name runs from the fort, just running as fast as he can, not looking around or trying to defend himself, while the two are shooting would-be attackers as they approach the runner. Very cool!!
I love Mohicans, and I'm particularly fond of the soundtrack as well, it's outstanding - but Fist, the scene you're describing.....it makes me cringe every time I watch the movie (I have the special edition on DVD.) That kind of markmanship is IMPOSSIBLE with a smooth bore musket.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Brinn wrote:Daniel Day Lewis screaming at Madelaine Stowe "Stay Alive....Just stay alive! I will find you!" in the Last of the Mohicans.
Good one, Brinn!

I will add some more:

In the Mouth of Madness: when the screaming outside Sam Neil's padded cell reaches a crescendo and then suddenly stops, and you realise humanity just became extinct.

The Thing: when it's merging the dogs together.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Lucimay wrote:Spock's death scene from The Wrath of Khan
And I want to add Khan's death scene. I posted this a while back in the "All Time Favorite Star Trek Moment" thread:
ST II -- Khan's final moments of life aboard the crippled Reliant and his last bitter words flung at Kirk and the fleeing Enterprise: "From hell's heart, I stab at thee. For hate's sake...I spit my last breath...at thee..." The scene caps a towering performance by Ricardo Montalban as Khan.
Also:
ST: TMP -- The melding and transformation of Decker and Ilia/V'Ger is a breathtaking moment and beautifully shot. If cosmic epiphany can be described on film, then ST: TMP does as good a job here as any film can hope to do.
Revan wrote:Matrix - When Neo awakes as The One. Absolute class, will live on in my memory for a long time.
Yes, a transcendant moment. So many favorite Matrix moments to choose from, but I go back to the rooftop scene where the Agent shoots at Neo and bullet-time photography is shown in full glory. This new kind of visual blew me away.

Other fav moments:

Fellowship of the Ring -- Boromir's last stand and Aragorn's heroics. A moving sequence with muted sound and sorrowful music, punctuated by the thud of the Urukhai's arrows striking Boromir. Then Aragorn stops the Urukhai from finishing off Boromir, they fight, and Aragorn beheads the creature. That felt very good.

Monty Python & The Holy Grail -- King Arthur and his men being arrested by Scotland Yard at the end. Utterly surreal. Love it! (Thanks for jogging my memory, Usivius.)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind -- the alien mothership rises above Devil's Tower. One of those 8O moments in cinema.

Alien -- Kane, Lambert and Dallas climb over a threshold in the derelict ship...and the fossilized corpse of the giant alien navigator is revealed. Another 8O moment.

Terminator 2 -- Arnold blasts away at the T-1000 with a shotgun. The T-1000's wounds "heal" and he and Arnold then lock arms and crash through a wall as a dazed John runs for his life. On his motorbike, John finally gets going...and the T-1000 without missing a beat simply runs after him. Okay, another 8O moment.

Star Wars: A New Hope -- opening scene. Tiny Rebel ship flees from the massive Star Destroyer that chases it down, amid laser fire detonating across the screen and the heavens. Maybe my most favorite 8O moment.

Apocalypse Now -- Kilgore's copter assault on the village, as Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries blares through the speakers.

City Lights -- closing scene. This is some serious silent movie magic. The Tramp comes upon the formerly blind girl whose sight has been restored thanks to his aid, though it has made him destitute once more. But he smiles for her, and she recognizes that he is her benefactor. I vote this the greatest tearjerking scene ever.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Reservoir Dogs: the confrontation at the end with the four men.

Ghost World: the bus at the end.

Chelsea Walls : the scene with Jimmy Scott

Pink Floyd in Pompeii : the begining of Echoes.

Plague Dogs: the ending with the dogs swimming out to sea is heart-breaking.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

dlbpharmd wrote:I love Mohicans, and I'm particularly fond of the soundtrack as well, it's outstanding - but Fist, the scene you're describing.....it makes me cringe every time I watch the movie (I have the special edition on DVD.) That kind of markmanship is IMPOSSIBLE with a smooth bore musket.
Why do you think they call him Hawkeye?!?

:lol: OK, I'm sure it's impossible. But, for me, that's entirely irrelevant. Make believe it's set in modern times, with guns that can shoot that accurately. The mental state of the runner is incredible! He either trusts the snipers so perfectly that he feels no fear; and/or he's sure they'll all soon be dead anyway if he doesn't make it out, and this is the only chance he has. Put aside the fear that they'll miss the next guy in your path, and run on blind faith. It just seems very powerful to me.

I didn't mention The Matrix or the Kill Bill movies, because I'd have to do what tw did. Heh.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Matrix and Luci managed to cover most of my favorite moments but there was one that sticks in my mind and was unexpected. Nicolas Cage at the end of Birdy. "Birdy!!!" "What?" :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Apocalypse Now -- Kilgore's copter assault on the village, as Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries blares through the speakers.
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Classic!
OK, I'm sure it's impossible. But, for me, that's entirely irrelevant. Make believe it's set in modern times, with guns that can shoot that accurately. The mental state of the runner is incredible! He either trusts the snipers so perfectly that he feels no fear; and/or he's sure they'll all soon be dead anyway if he doesn't make it out, and this is the only chance he has. Put aside the fear that they'll miss the next guy in your path, and run on blind faith. It just seems very powerful to me.
Alright, Fi-ust - fair enough. ;)
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

aTOMiC wrote:Matrix and Luci managed to cover most of my favorite moments but there was one that sticks in my mind and was unexpected. Nicolas Cage at the end of Birdy. "Birdy!!!" "What?" :-)
oh YEAH!!! excellent movie!!

dlb wrote:"I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Classic!

how could i have left that one off my list??? 8O

also...

Rocky Horror Picture Show: when Frankenfurter comes down in the elevator!!

How'd do, I see you've met my
faithful HANDY man!
to one of them?