So Who Has Read the First Anthology??

For the discussion about old anthologies, or the planning of new ones.

Moderators: hierachy, aTOMiC

Have you read it?

parts of it, will finish it as time allows
22%
as soon as I get it, I will read it
22%
I have read the WHOLE thing
13%
not yet, but hope to someday
43%

Total votes: 23

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Octopus wrote:Octopus has ordered. Octopus has ordered 8 copies.
Well done. Tell me what you think of the stories when you have read them.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

I got to Adrift thus far... it's a very good anthology, and thus far the stories that stand out the most in my mind are Thule of the Quill and The Creed... but I'll finish it today or tomorrow and then give an overall opinion. Lots of good stuff though - it's a pity it wasn't longer :P
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Xar wrote:Lots of good stuff though - it's a pity it wasn't longer :P
And so it shall be. :)

Thank you, Xar and Duchess. :biggrin: I look forward to working on the next one. I'll have some time this weekend... :wink:
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

My only problem is that most of my relatives back home don't speak English very well (or, in the case of my elder relatives, at all), so I can't purchase copies for them :( You should think about having translations ;)
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Anybody have any problem with Xar translating stories for his relatives? :)
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

... I must be more careful in phrasing my thoughts... 8O
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

jelerak wrote:The Creed...great detail and substance to Krele Kest, especially for a short story
Thanks jelerak, Krele is like another one of my children, he's been in the making for about 15 years. Long time to mold him. I tried to convey his inner turmoil, hope I did that...
Xar wrote:thus far the stories that stand out the most in my mind are Thule of the Quill and The Creed
Glad you enjoyed it Xar..would love to hear any comments you have about it...good or bad :)

I got my copy some time ago, but life here on the mountain has been nuts lately so I haven't had a chance to read any of it. I hope to get to do so soon!!!

Great job, Joy and everyone else who put it all together...it looks fantastic!! :D :D :D
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Furls Fire wrote:I tried to convey his inner turmoil, hope I did that...
You did indeed, Furls. :)
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

thanks! :D :D
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Finished it! A very enjoyable read from beginning to end... congratulations to all those involved in making it :)

As far as material goes, I think the story I enjoyed the most out of the whole anthology was "The Creed"... another round of applause for Furlsie!

:nanaparty:

The other stories were all good, though probably "Scorn" and "Thule of the Quill" were the ones I liked the most after "The Creed". Admittedly, "A God for Atheists" was creepy, and "Adrift" was interesting, as was "The Story". The ending of "Thule of the Quill" sounded slightly abrupt, perhaps, but that's just my personal feeling. The various poems were also beautiful, so congrats all around :D
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

:hearts:
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

My publisher sister just sent me her opinion:
This is an amazing collection. You have certainly gathered a wide range of talent, with a variety of new ideas. I especially like the poems by Travis and some chick named Joy Calderwood, and your discovery, Todd Caldwell, is really something -- I think you should try to bring his work to the attention of some of the authors/anthology editors you review.

Congratulations! I'm really impressed, and proud of you for putting together this project. Do another one!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Dragonlily wrote:.

Congratulations! I'm really impressed, and proud of you for putting together this project. Do another one!
We're working on it. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Khaliban
Watchman, Second Class

Post by Khaliban »

Dragonlily wrote:My publisher sister just sent me her opinion:
This is an amazing collection. You have certainly gathered a wide range of talent, with a variety of new ideas. I especially like the poems by Travis and some chick named Joy Calderwood, and your discovery, Todd Caldwell, is really something -- I think you should try to bring his work to the attention of some of the authors/anthology editors you review.

"Discovery" is so much better than "that weird guy".
"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

Smashwords: Discovered Mate: A Tale of Desire and Chess

Some Stories: FanFiction or Archive Of Our Own
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

If not very personal. I just reread LIEUTENANT KEEGAN, btw. Still a pleasure.

I told her we're working on it, Tom. :D TRC is reading Anthology I on his cell phone.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Finally finished it! I didn't want to post 'til I'd read the whole thing. But I realize now that I'm going to end up echoing what everyone else has already said -- great stories and poems, not a bad one in the bunch (tho upon reflection, there are maybe some things I'd tweak about "Nameday" -- sigh). I loved "The Creed"; I was intrigued by "Adrift" and "A God for Atheists"; I thought "Dr. Donez" was very funny; I liked the twist in the ending of "Scorn" and the surprise at the end of "Thule of the Quill" and the unusual point of view in "Dragonhorn's Tale" and the creepy atmosphere of "A New Life" and the way "The Story" rounded it all out.

I am no poetry critic, by any stretch of the imagination, so all I can honestly say about the poems in this anthology is that I liked them all. :D

Good job, everyone, and an especially special pat on the back to the reviewers, the editor, and the production crew. Can't wait for the next one!

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Further comment from my sister:
I would think that the [hardest] thing would be finding writers whose work is not derivative -- it seems like that is a big problem in the fantasy field. Several of your writers here ... were able to present fresh ideas, which is the most critical thing. The Creed was one of those, A God for Atheists another, and Adrift, certainly. Dragonhorn's Tale was probably the one that I found the most gripping and innovative from this standpoint.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Dragonlily wrote:Further comment from my sister:
I would think that the [hardest] thing would be finding writers whose work is not derivative -- it seems like that is a big problem in the fantasy field. Several of your writers here ... were able to present fresh ideas, which is the most critical thing. The Creed was one of those, A God for Atheists another, and Adrift, certainly. Dragonhorn's Tale was probably the one that I found the most gripping and innovative from this standpoint.
Thank her for me, Joy. :D
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Done. :)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Dragonlily wrote:Done. :)
Now thankyourself! :)

Return to “Kevin's Watch Anthology Forum”