How Do You Feel Today? v4

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Well, 21-day national lock-down announced last night...all non-essential services / etc. closed, everybody to stay home, etc. etc. 47% increase in cases between Sunday and Monday nights.

All about slowing the spread now, otherwise our healthcare system will be overwhelmed.

Since I already been working remotely since last Monday, not much change for me, but meh anyway.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Already feeling meh about the whole thing, and the damn lock-down hasn't even officially started yet. :lol:

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:Already feeling meh about the whole thing, and the damn lock-down hasn't even officially started yet. :lol:

--A
My work that I do from November through April involves banquet service, at events with a lot of people together, so my work has been shut down for a week, already, and is likely to stay that way for the next few weeks. I'm feeling VERY "meh" myself, about practicing all this isolation and social distancing. I will obey, for I understand the reasoning behind it, but I'm itching to go for a hike somewhere and get out of the house!
:bounce03:

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, I already been working remotely for 2 weeks before the lockdown, which went into effect at midnight last night.

It's not even about leaving the house...I don't usually leave the house that much anyway, apart from work and shopping. Maybe it's the inconvenience or the uncertainty, I dunno.

It might actually be worse that I can carry on working...wouldn't mind a few days to sleep away etc. :D

--A
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

CH, there is no clinical reason why you can't go hike. Park and trail prohibitions are for dense areas where folks either can't practice appropriate distancing or lack the common sense to do so. You are intimately familiar with backcountry where encountering others is rare to begin with, and avoiding proximity is no great challenge.

Go get your outside "fix"; you know you will feel (and be) better for doing so. Just stay safe.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw

Post by Avatar »

Not here...no leaving even for exercise.

--A
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Avatar wrote:Not here...no leaving even for exercise.
That's an excessive degree of control, and will likely prove counterproductive given how long these precautions will need to be in place. Long-term, folks who do not have the training of astronauts or submariners will fare poorly without some mobility and outside exposure. Bad for our deeply-conditioned mental health.

Maybe that degree of martial law is needed there, but CH is in a wonderous wide open land where outdoor solitude is readily available and he is already a good steward of that abundance. He should get out there...safely and discretely, of course.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, it's expected that as we progress they will modify the regulations as necessary, think they just wanted to get a broad outline in place first. Can still exercise / walk dogs etc. in your yard / complex / whatever, although not in groups obviously.

--A
Khaliban
Watchman, Second Class

Post by Khaliban »

Chicago shutdown the lakefront completely.
"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

Smashwords: Discovered Mate: A Tale of Desire and Chess

Some Stories: FanFiction or Archive Of Our Own
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Julie's job sent her home
For two weeks paid. I am
Considered essential.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Khaliban
Watchman, Second Class

Post by Khaliban »

We've had our hours cut. It's a good option. Most of us work from home anyway, and having something to do stops you from going nuts.
"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

Smashwords: Discovered Mate: A Tale of Desire and Chess

Some Stories: FanFiction or Archive Of Our Own
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte by French impressionist Georges Seurat

Magnifying Glass

Apart from its scientific purpose to prove that points of colour are brighter than any other form of brushstroke, this painting could easily be viewed as an exercise on how to draw the viewer in, literally.
By this I mean, entering into the mood of the picture until all the senses are engaged - the smell of the pipe and cigar smoke, the warmth of the sun, the cool of the shade, the sounds of a trumpet or barking dog, the voices of the Parisians ... or for that matter, their complete silence.

Georges Seurat restretched the canvas of his painting so he could include a border frame. I certainly wonder if this was to help invert the dark rectangle down the avenue of trees at the far side of the scene. The trees having branches leaning to the left seem to invite a tilt of the head for the additional effect.

Post by Avatar »

Funny, I would have thought that with 43% of the world's population on lock-down, we'd have been a bit busier... :D

--A
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Had to go the supermarket for bread on Saturday. As I don't watch telly, or buy newspapers, I was shocked to see restrictions for entering the store. There were even markers on the ground 1 metre apart so as to keep the queue socially distanced.

When I got back home I was further shocked to feel a slight headache, a roughness at the back of the throat, sporadic sneezing, and my nose running like a tap. It was really scary. It took about 2 to 3 hours for the symptoms to go. I kept hoping it was all in the mind, but honestly, I'm dreading having to fetch more bread when this one runs out.

On the plus side, Morrisons are selling Cadbury's Dairy Milk Buttons Easter Eggs for a pound, or 2 for 1.50. And they have loads of them.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Out in the outer suburbs of Chicago, the state parks are closed but the county conservation district sites are open. They just ask that we stay apart and so far so good. I've gone out there to watch the birds and get some air.

My family has a house in a tourist visited area of Wisconsin and I saw that they are asking that visitors and those who have second homes up there stay away for now. They only have one small hospital there and they won't be able to handle an influx of people from Chicago and Milwaukee. And unstated that their worry that we would bring the virus with us.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I said I'd come back with better news, but I'm going to have to relent.

These are truly fucked up times, and I'm definitely feeling the stress of it right now. I've had some fears of the coronavirus due to being in and out of hospitals and such, including going to an ER and as I was leaving seeing several docs suiting up into hazmat suits.
But for me personally, the biopsy proved ultimately inconclusive, and they said there was no cancer found, but they wanted me to take another. I was to have a PET scan the next day, so we put that off for the time being. On Wednesday of last week, I was told that the PET scan revealed multiple areas lighting up, such as my liver, my neck, my chest, my lungs, and my pancreas. Doc said there was a 92% chance this is cancer.
So we are going for another biopsy to confirm, and if I'm lucky, I could have the 8% and it will be inflammation lighting it up. The blood work has been fine, with a slightly high white blood cell count in the pancreas, and the rest fine. I'm a little uncomfortable, particularly after hearing this, but I'm not having pain exactly, or nausea and such, so hopefully we are catching it early. But in so many places, I definitely fear the worst.
I've been lucky enough to work from home recently, but just heard today that we will have to start justifying our time hourly. I suspect they are thinking of cutting our hours, and rather than be one of the few things in my life right now that isn't totally stressing me, the thought of possibly losing my job has just now be added to the stress pile.
Can I just add that I fucking hate this year so far? I'm starting to wonder if I'll see the other side of it.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Cag: First, your health. Having dealt with my wife's thyroid cancer thirty-some years ago, my son's leukemia seven years ago, and three of Menolly's cancers (thyroid, leukemia, breast) in the last nine years, cancer is eminently survivable now with expeditious treatment and proper attitude.

Still, I get the antipathy toward this year as it has gone so far. Our 90 day trial for 2020 is now expiring, and I am sure many of us are more than ready to unsubscribe!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

That's rough, Cags. So sorry. Hoping for the best for your test results.

And yeah, this year sucks.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Cag, so sorry to hear. On top of all the fucked up shit (yeah, I'm not as eloquent as Savor Dam) that's happened, and is happening, this year, to add to the pile of stress must be so tough. I feel some sort of kindred connection with you, and I would pray - if I had the slightest belief in something to pray to - for a good outcome, but in the absence of that, I will be thinking of you, and sincerely hoping for that 8%.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, same here Cag, here's hoping it all turns out well. ;)

Same old same old this side.

@Luke, luckily a running nose is not symptomatic. ;)

--A

Return to “General Discussion Forum”