President Trump recognizes Jerusalem as Israel's capital

Archive From The 'Tank
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Netanyahu says at least six states considering moving embassies to Jerusalem
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a Memorial Day ceremony at Mount Herzl military cemetery in Jerusalem, April 18, 2018. Debbie Hill/Pool via Reuters

JERUSALEM (Reuters) -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday that "at least half a dozen" countries were considering moving their embassies to Jerusalem following the U.S. decision to do so.

[...]

The U.S. Embassy is due to relocate to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv on May 14, the date on which Israel declared its independence in 1948.

"In order to promote peace ... move your embassies here," Netanyahu told foreign diplomats at a reception in Jerusalem celebrating the 70th anniversary of that declaration.

He thanked Guatemala which decided to move its embassy soon after the U.S. announcement, but he did not name the other countries he said were considering following suit.

"I am pleased to say that there are at least half a dozen countries that are currently talking seriously to us about moving their embassies to Jerusalem," Netanyahu said.

The first ten embassies to relocate to Jerusalem would receive "preferential treatment", he said without explaining what that might entail.

[...]

Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Seems that Trump's move has had very little or no backlash here in the US...
Of course Congress passed the motion over 20 years ago and the 3 past presidents have chucked it or delayed it during their terms.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Kizza
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kizza »

Cail wrote:Per the 1925 and 1997 agreements, that's correct.
I do not mean to antagonise when I post here.
So where there was no evidence of WMD in Iraq, and an increasing reports of no chemical attack in Syria, at which point does one say..... "Did history just repeat itself? There may be a lesson to be learnt here and cause for change."

Meanwhile, shotmakers in need of deflection from domestic or related region issues are happy to point attention away. As I have watched, listened and read - and apologies, I am not posting references - news about this situation in Syria in its proximity and bearing in the Middle East, I have been struck by the construction of the news and how some outlets seem to conveniently band together against eachother. :roll:
Never fight fair with a stranger, boy. You'll never get out of the jungle that way. - Arthur Miller
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Kizza
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kizza »

Merci
Never fight fair with a stranger, boy. You'll never get out of the jungle that way. - Arthur Miller
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Kizza wrote:I do not mean to antagonise when I post here.
Don't apologize for it--a touch of antagonism is sometimes necessary to get people's blood flowing and jump-start an otherwise dull conversation.

This is why no one should *ever* rely on social media to be their primary source of news--it is far too easy for disinformation to be passed around as if it were legitimate. Responsible people receive their news from responsible sources.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Kizza wrote:I do not mean to antagonise when I post here.
Don't apologize for it--a touch of antagonism is sometimes necessary to get people's blood flowing and jump-start an otherwise dull conversation.

This is why no one should *ever* rely on social media to be their primary source of news--it is far too easy for disinformation to be passed around as if it were legitimate. Responsible people receive their news from responsible sources.
Yeah...like Breitbart :lf:
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Rawedge Rim wrote:
Hashi Lebwohl wrote: Responsible people receive their news from responsible sources.
Personally, I don't count Breitbart as "responsible", which is why I don't cite it. Other people may view it differently.
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Rawedge Rim wrote:
Hashi Lebwohl wrote: Responsible people receive their news from responsible sources.
Personally, I don't count Breitbart as "responsible", which is why I don't cite it. Other people may view it differently.
meant tongue in cheek
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

/Drack moment

Why would I put my tongue in a cheek?

/Drack moment off
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Romanian president slams plan to move Israel embassy
Romanian President Klaus Iohannis's office said he had "not been consulted or informed over this process" of moving the country's Israel embassy to Jerusalem (AFP Photo/Aris Oikonomou)

Bucharest (AFP) -- A row erupted Friday between Romania's government and President Klaus Iohannis over a proposal to move the country's embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

The foreign ministry announced that "a process of analysis and evaluation with the aim of transferring the embassy has been launched".

Prime Minister Viorica Dancila of the left-wing Social Democratic Party confirmed Friday the government had adopted a memorandum on moving the embassy but added that other steps needed to be taken before a final decision.

In December US President Donald Trump sparked global controversy by announcing that the United States would move its embassy in Israel to Jerusalem.

Romania would be the first EU country to follow suit.

President 'not consulted'

Dancila was more cautious than PSD party chief Liviu Dragnea, who on Thursday pre-empted any official announcement and told the Antena 3 TV channel that the decision to move the embassy had been taken.

Meanwhile Iohannis's office said he had "not been consulted or informed over this process," adding that in his opinion the decision was "not based on firm, wide-ranging evaluations".

Iohannis, who is from the centre-right and has expressed numerous disagreements with the government, pointed to the constitution, under which the president "approves the creation or shutting down" of diplomatic missions.

Emphasising that Romania's position on the Israeli-Palestinian question "had not changed", Iohannis said: "At this stage a transfer of the embassy would represent a violation of international law."

"The government's initiative could eventually represent, at the most, the beginning of a process of evaluation... which could only be finalised after the conclusion of peace talks," Iohannis added.

'Balanced position'

Dancila confirmed on Friday that the government had adopted a memorandum outlining the plans.

"I assure you that we are responsible, we have judgement,... we will discuss this with all institutions, including the president," she told reporters.

"When we get to a shared position we will make that public," she added.

According to Romanian media reports, Dancila will make an official trip to Israel next week. Israel's deputy foreign minister Tzipi Hotovely had visited Romania last week.

[...]

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Israel pulls back fighter jets from Alaska joint exercise
An Israeli Air Force F-15 fighter jet releases flares during an aerial demonstration at a graduation ceremony for Israeli air force pilots at the Hatzerim air base in southern Israel, December 29, 2016. (Amir Cohen / Reuters file)

The Israeli Air Force has decided not to send F-15 fighter jets to a 16-day training in Alaska that begins next week, amid escalating tensions involving Syria and Iran.

Israeli troops will join American Navy and Air Force aviators during a joint exercise known as "Red Flag-Alaska," which will run April 26 to May 11 out of Eielson Air Force Base in Fairbanks and Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Anchorage.

The Red Flag exercises take place several times a year and bring together U.S. and international forces for "realistic" training and simulated combat. Next week's exercises will be the first of 2018.

Air Force public affairs officer Kitsana Dounglomchan confirmed that "the Israeli Air Force will not be sending F-15s to Red Flag-Alaska," but said "they will still be participating in the exercise."

The change of plans was first reported by Israeli newspaper Haaretz, which cited "rising tensions in the north of Israel."

"The air force may send some representatives, but no planes will participate," the story said.

"Despite this change, we are looking forward to hosting the Israeli contingent that will be partaking in Red Flag-Alaska 18-1," Dounglomchan said.

Left-leaning think tank Brookings Institute said in a blog post this week that "the countdown to the next round of military conflict between Israel and Iran has begun" following the recent attack on Syrian chemical weapons facilities by the U.S., France and England. Israel reportedly targeted and destroyed an Iranian drone project in Syria.

[...]

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Israeli Minister Says Natalie Portman Bordering on Anti-Semitism as Actor Defends Awards Boycott
Actor Natalie Portman poses at the film premiere for "Annihilation" in Los Angeles, on February 13. She has withdrawn from a planned appearance at an Israeli award ceremony, citing recent "distressing" events in the country.

Israeli Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz said that Natalie Portman's decision not to accept the Genesis Prize borders on anti-Semitism. The Israeli-U.S. actor said she did not want to appear alongside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at Friday's prize ceremony.

"Natalie Portman has played into the hands of the worst of our haters and of the worst of the anti-Semites in the Middle East," Steinitz said in an interview on Sunday with the Kan public broadcasting corporation, as acited by Haaretz. Portman had made a serious mistake and owes Israel an apology, the energy minister said.

"Criticism of Israel is not anti-Semitism. Boycotting Israel has elements of anti-Semitism," Steinitz asserted, adding that Portman would not have boycotted China or India. He said that boycotting the award over Netanyahu's appearance practically constitutes a boycott of Israel.

[...]

Some ministers in Netanyahu's right-wing government said Portman appeared to have been manipulated by the Palestinian-led international campaign to boycott Israel.

"Let me speak for myself," Portman said later in a statement posted on Instagram Saturday. "I chose not to attend because I did not want to appear as endorsing Benjamin Netanyahu, who was to be giving a speech at the ceremony."

Portman said she did not support the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement, which aims to economically, politically and culturally isolate Israel over its treatment of Palestinians.

[...]

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

This is the facet of Israel which is wrong--many of them think that any criticism, no matter how small or whatever your reason might be, is "anti-Semitism". Apparently, if we are not 100% *for* Israel then we are 100% *against* Israel--a classic example of black/white thinking.

Ms. Portman does not *have* to accept an award if she doesn't want to. She doesn't even have to explain why she doesn't want to.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Agreed. There's a big difference between disagreeing with Israel's policies / actions and being anti-Semitic.

--A
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Russia to deploy S-300 to Syria, warns Israel of 'consequences' if attacked
A Russian S-300 PMU2 Favorit surface-to-air missile system in Alabino, outside Moscow, last year.
AFP

Deployment of S-300 has become more likely since US-led strike in Syria

Russia is readying to deploy its S-300 anti-aircraft missile defense system to Syria to prop up the embattled regime of President Bashar Al-Assad, senior Russian officials told the Kommersant newspaper on Monday, while warning that an Israeli attack on the advanced system would result in "catastrophic consequences".

Kommersant reported that the system would be sent to Syria "very soon" and at no cost to the Assad regime. A defense analyst cited by the newspaper said that the move was likely Moscow's "response" to a US-led attack in Syria last week, which targeted a number of chemical research facilities.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said last week that after the joint US-Britain-France operation Russia no longer felt bound to a previous agreement with Western nations not supply Damascus with the S-300 system.

"A few years ago at the request of our partners, we decided not to supply S-300's to Syria," Lavrov said in an interview with the BBC. "Now that this outrageous act of aggression was undertaken by the US, France and UK, we might think how to make sure that the Syrian state is protected."

[...]

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Are we really in the early stages of a new cold war?

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Wow 8O
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I think Putin has Stalinist intentions and will make Syria a Cold War country
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Little chance of another cold war, or hot war, or proxy war. Daesh is destroyed, and everyone other than Russia is on board with bringing Syria to heel. Putin may rattle his saber, but the ME isn't Ukraine.

This is posturing, that's all.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart

Return to “Coercri”