New Dr Who

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

There's gonna be Roman soldiers soon. A mate of mine was filming as an extra last week.

Nero storyline maybe?
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I just finished watching part two. The President of the Council twist was very well done, as was the implication of the threat the Time Lords posed. However, the episode was dragged down by a prolonged ending - though the Sontaran part was a nice surprise.

Matt Smith made a great entry. And, Tennant made a wonderful exit - brought a tear in my eye.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The first episode of Matt Smith's season was placed online by the ABC, and I just finished watching it. In short, it was simply amazing. 5 stars. I love the new doctor, and Smith has hit the ground running.

Well done.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

Loremaster wrote:The first episode of Matt Smith's season was placed online by the ABC, and I just finished watching it. In short, it was simply amazing. 5 stars. I love the new doctor, and Smith has hit the ground running.

Well done.
Yes! He is a great doctor. All my fears to the contrary have been laid to rest.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Very impressed by the first story of the new season. Smith was excellent. Anyone who wears tweed is automatically awesome.

The new theme music is vaguely shite, however.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'd seen the first episode and yesterday's episode on TV, so I went and watched the one in between on iPlayer to fill in the gap.

That episode, The Beast Beneath, was interesting, but full of holes. For one thing, they never did get around to explaining what the men in the boxes actually were or where they came from. Seems they had no real reason to be there other than to be a scary enemy. Secondly, the big secret was predictable from the first couple of scenes, so it was surprising when they dragged out the mystery all the way to the end.
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

"The Eleventh Hour" was wonderful.

Ditto "The Beast Below."

"Victory of the Daleks" however was mediocre. Sorry.

But next week--DR. RIVER SONG! And the Weeping Angels!
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I enjoyed Victory of the Daleks, but it seemed they had Daleks in Churchill's War Rooms just so they could have Daleks in Churchill's War Rooms. There really didn't seem much of a justification for them being there,
Spoiler
despite it being a lure for the Doctor.
I loved the ending -
Spoiler
the first story where the Daleks win.
Spoiler
Although I am not sure about the new Dalek designs. I guess I will get use to them.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

A comment I made on them is that they fixed the problem of them getting up stairs, only to then make them wide enough they won't fit through most doorways. :P
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

:lol:
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I enjoyed the 11th hour, Matt Smith slid right into the role and relieved me of any fears I may have had. The trailer for the upcoming episodes was enjoyable too.

I'm anxious to learn about River Song, I need to rewatch the Dr's Daughter and Silence in the Library 2 parter. She seemed to be an actual lover of the Dr's, but, I wonder if maybe she isn't the Dr's daughter regenerated? No spoilers from anyone who might actually know, please (unless you spoiler them). It's a bit confusing, because I recall she told DT that he looked so "young and innocent", which would make sense considering the rest of DT's run, but, Matt Smith is literally younger and seems much younger and carefree as the Doctor?
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

What River Song said was that she hadn't seen the Doctor that young in a long time. Her relationship to him I suspect is something very unexpected--although I feel pretty sure she's human rather than Gallifreyan (not least because they were both sure she had zero chance of survival, while he believed he might).

The biggest theory I've kept hearing and reading is that she will be the Doctor's wife, which is precisely the reason I don't believe it.

My theory? Perhaps she's the descendant of several different companions--Sarah Jane, Captain Jack, Tegan, maybe even Susan Foreman? If so, perhaps he eventually adopts her?
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

this all sounds good.. but i have no idea where to start.. should i start with the series that was done in about 2005?? or is this a comletely new Remake of the same series or a continuation?
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Blackhawk wrote:this all sounds good.. but i have no idea where to start.. should i start with the series that was done in about 2005?? or is this a comletely new Remake of the same series or a continuation?
Probably more than you wanted to know, but, here's the history:

The original Series ran from 1963 to 1989 on BBC until ratings finally took it off the air. 7 actors played the Doctor during this time. When one actor left, another took his palce. The series explained this as the Doctor's people have 13 lives or generations. So, when one actor decides to leave, his Doctor dies and regenerates into another actor.

American Network FOX tried a revival with Genration number 8. The Pilot movie wasn't well received and so the series was never revived.

In 2005 BBC decided to revive it again and it's been going ever since. They are just starting their 3rd Doctor since the series revived in 2005.

So, all the canon from 1963 to 1989 is still in effect and built upon, but, some changes were made to the Universe in the set up for the revival. Each Doctor is a bit different, and each season has an overall seperate plot, though it all ties together in canon.

So, you'd probably be best off starting with Christopher Eccelston in 2005, and working your way forward, and then for Nostalgia's sake looking at some of the older doctors
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

What sindatur says is very true, even the original series with William Hartnell in 1963 pretty much jumped right in with no real explanation of who or what the Doctor was, or even why he had the TARDIS. The canon is all told sort of in an ongoing basis. I was first exposed to Tom Baker's Doctor (#4) on PBS, with no previous idea of the show.

I have seen very, very little of the series from 2005 on. But from what little I have seen, it seems like that still stands. Much may fly by you, but it looks like you can still jump in anywhere and enjoy it.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Excellent.. Thank the both of you. when i get some time i want to see it, Ive heard about the books and alot of the storylines sound interesting but could not figuire out what station was carrying it. BBC, not sure if i have that one or not. Ill Check it out ...thx again. :D Maybe if its on DVD i can get it from Net Flix
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Blackhawk wrote:Excellent.. Thank the both of you. when i get some time i want to see it, Ive heard about the books and alot of the storylines sound interesting but could not figuire out what station was carrying it. BBC, not sure if i have that one or not. Ill Check it out ...thx again. :D Maybe if its on DVD i can get it from Net Flix
BBC America is carrying the current season, ep 2 coming up this weekend. NEtflix should have Chris Eccelston's and David Tennant's seasons.

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Zahir wrote:What River Song said was that she hadn't seen the Doctor that young in a long time. Her relationship to him I suspect is something very unexpected--although I feel pretty sure she's human rather than Gallifreyan (not least because they were both sure she had zero chance of survival, while he believed he might).

The biggest theory I've kept hearing and reading is that she will be the Doctor's wife, which is precisely the reason I don't believe it.

My theory? Perhaps she's the descendant of several different companions--Sarah Jane, Captain Jack, Tegan, maybe even Susan Foreman? If so, perhaps he eventually adopts her?
Actually, she says she's never seen him that young. 25 minutes in, if you include commercials

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Hey hey, this is a BBC show. We'll have none of these... "commercials"...
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Murrin wrote:Hey hey, this is a BBC show. We'll have none of these... "commercials"...
Actually, I was quite surprised to find that this disc from my recording has commercials, I generally edit them out :oops:

I think the re-introduction of River Song can be "Make or Break" for Matt Smith (He's done a great job in the 1st Ep) and Moff as Show Runner. RTD Made a big deal out of her, and she is a companion like Merlin, who's aging is backwards. Matt Smith's Doctor needs to tread carefully when he reacts to his first encounter (this is both writer and Actor who have to do it right). And let's not forget the Dr needs to remember the whisper and reveal what it was to the audience, so they can properly understand his reaction.

Return to “TV Shows”