Wait a moment... so abortion really does = murder....

Archive From The 'Tank
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

sindatur wrote:...And as you and Dennis both suggest, make it possible for women to choose to raise the baby...
What a great thread. Some fantastic posts there folks, read, laughed, agreed, laughed some more. Who says that no understanding is ever reached in these threads? You will be rewarded. ;)

Duchess-- A difficult one. I certainly agree that it should be done with more consideration, especially since they type of pictures you refer to are almost always of extreme late-term abortions, probably carried out for emergency medical reasons, and not truly representative.

Of course, shock tactics are what drives this whole thing. The very point of it is to outrage and horrify people in an attempt to get support. And who is more likely to be outraged and horrified by it than the parents of young children?

Here, it's probably a question of the ethics of the demonstrators. Personally, I consider it unethical to do it in that way. However, these people too often don't seem that concerned with it, merely with pushing their side of the story.

Are there sufficient grounds to prevent them from doing it?

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

As far as I know they have a perfectly legal right to do what they are doing. And I do not object to it as such (other than hating seeing pictures of bloody, dead babies, of course -- and I do think they must be pictures of late abortions ,as Avatar said, as they are recognizably babies).

In fact, I think it is valuable to a society to see people (of all political persuasions) protesting laws that they disagree with!!! 8)

My objection is the location they have chosen. :-x :-x :-x

Even if they were to just move it to the other side of the busy five lane road, that would be OK. Or move it up or down the road a block or two. I just don't want tiny children being subjected to those horrid posters for hours at a time!! Or if the protestors could carry signs with words, perhaps, rather than pictures, they could stay where they are, if they are there for a specific reason (its those huge and graphic pictures I do not think they should have to see).
Love as thou wilt.

Post by Avatar »

duchess of malfi wrote:In fact, I think it is valuable to a society to see people (of all political persuasions) protesting laws that they disagree with!!! 8)
Oh, I definitely agree with you on that score. On the whole, we're far too apathetic about the sort of things that we don't like/whatever.

But there are ways, and then there are ways. Unfortunately, they tend to think only of the result that they want to achieve, and not of the incidental effects of their attempts.

What I meant was isn't there something that forbids the exposure of children to such images? I mean, this is why we have age-restrictions, because there are some images that it's unsuitable for children to see.

dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

well i think it's wrong the way they protest now. how is making yourself look like a frothing madman going to help anybody on either side? how 'bout hiring sane, rational people and promoting helping the mothers out? how 'bout lobbying congress to not cut all welfare programs, hell add more. how 'bout offering healing for women who have had abortions? how 'bout working on father's rights? or shutting down the abortionists by creating a void for their services.

and just so you know that i practice what i preach. i am having a mass for my child lost to abortion. my priest said it would help. and i agree. and i will be praying for all the children and mothers affected during adoration.

Post by Avatar »

dennisrwood wrote:...how 'bout hiring sane, rational people and promoting helping the mothers out? how 'bout lobbying congress to not cut all welfare programs, hell add more. how 'bout offering healing for women who have had abortions? how 'bout working on father's rights?
Sounds good to me.
dennisrwood wrote:or shutting down the abortionists by creating a void for their services.
Agreed. This is the only way of preventing abortion that I can countenance. Make it unecessary for people to have them in the first plave.
dennisrwood wrote:and just so you know that i practice what i preach. i am having a mass for my child lost to abortion. my priest said it would help. and i agree. and i will be praying for all the children and mothers affected during adoration.
My thoughts and sympathies at least are with you.

dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

maybe people on the pro-life side need to look at all of life being valuable. too much focus on the unborn and not enough on the babies after birth.

Post by Avatar »

A good point. It's all very well saving them in the womb, and not trying to assure a good life after birth.

Return to “Coercri”