How fortunate we all indeed then are ;)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Obi-Wan Nihilo wrote:
In actual Trump news, he may well have secured the election with his four recent EOs.

- Student Loan Payment Deferrals
- Payroll Tax Deferrals
- Eviction Moratoriums
- Unemployment and stimulus Payments
So on this...what's the actual deal with these Executive Orders? Have seen commentary that the only one he can possibly enforce by fiat is the eviction moratorium?

He signs these like they going out of fashion, but what is their legal status exactly?

(Same for TikTok? Unless the national security issue makes it possible for him to decree it?)

--A
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Obi-Wan Nihilo wrote:
In actual Trump news, he may well have secured the election with his four recent EOs.

- Student Loan Payment Deferrals
- Payroll Tax Deferrals
- Eviction Moratoriums
- Unemployment and stimulus Payments
So on this...what's the actual deal with these Executive Orders? Have seen commentary that the only one he can possibly enforce by fiat is the eviction moratorium?

He signs these like they going out of fashion, but what is their legal status exactly?

(Same for TikTok? Unless the national security issue makes it possible for him to decree it?)
As I wrote upthread, someone with standing would have to challenge them in court. No one wants to do that.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Avatar wrote: So on this...what's the actual deal with these Executive Orders? Have seen commentary that the only one he can possibly enforce by fiat is the eviction moratorium?

That is still a subject of debate among Constitutional scholars. Technically, the POTUS, in his role as Chief Executive Officer, may dictate what operational guidelines various Federal Departments may use as well as how certain laws are to be enforced; neither Congress no the Courts have authority over these Executive Orders. Some EOs have been used to side-step Congress--and POTUSes from both major parties have done this, as evidenced by Obama's philosophy of "I have a pen and a phone"--but when this happens they can be subject to Federal Court overrule. Congress' only course of action to act against an EO is to change/edit/update the law.

In recent years, though, EOs have been more of a threat the Oval Office uses against Congress--take certain action or I will. That is not the intended purpose of an EO, though.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

So the very stable genius wowed the world yet again with his genius

Yup ... Trump said the "1917 Spanish Flu 'probably ended' WWII" .. :roll: It is commonly referred to as the 1918 Spanish flu .. but potAtoes potAHtoes

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... NHCg_p8XIU
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

In reality, everyone else knows the factors which actually ended World War II:

1) Hitler did not know how to run a military campaign or he would not have attacked Russia
2) the Russians coming from the East and the United States coming from the West until they met in Berlin to end the European Theater...but the Russians got there first
3) the atomic bombs dropped on Japan ended the Pacific Theater.

Not everything Trump says is accurate, which you would note us saying if you would actaully read what our posts say instead of what you think they say.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I confess I am not entirely clear how the 1918 pandemic figures in the ending of a war that spanned 1939 - 1945.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

He probably meant WW1 which ended in 1918.

From the University of Oxford

Many researchers have suggested that the conditions of the war significantly aided the spread of the disease. And others have argued that the course of the war (and subsequent peace treaty) was influenced by the pandemic.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Now that we have the WW1 vs WW2 vs Spanish flu figured out.

How about this... World leaders weigh in on historic Israeli UAE deal that leads to full normalization of diplomatic ties.

Palestine and Hamas as usual are not on board. MSN and CNN arent even running the story. I did find it on the BBC though
What has been agreed?
In the coming weeks delegations from Israel and the UAE will meet to sign bilateral deals regarding investment, tourism, direct flights, security, telecommunications, technology, energy, healthcare, culture, the environment, the establishment of reciprocal embassies, and other areas of mutual benefit.

Opening direct ties between two of the Middle Easts most dynamic societies and advanced economies will transform the region by spurring economic growth, enhancing technological innovation, and forging closer people-to-people relations, the joint statement says.

Israel will also suspend declaring sovereignty over areas outlined in President Trumps Vision for Peace between Israel and the Palestinians, in which he backed an Israeli plan to annex Jewish settlements in the West Bank and the strategic Jordan Valley.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Gaius Octavius
American Royalist and Admirer of All Things British

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
1) Hitler did not know how to run a military campaign or he would not have attacked Russia
Not entirely true. His main blunder was opening up a second front rather than defeating the UK first.

But yes, Russian winter, etc. would have still been a major issue, and of course he had a tendency not to listen to his military officers. Attacking the USSR was inevitable, though. Communism is the mortal enemy of fascist ideology.
Gaius Octavius

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Trump admits to sabotaging US Postal Service in order to prevent mail-in ballots during 2020 election

And I was thinking it was just a Democrat conspiracy theory. He's really defunding the USPS because he's worried about people sending mail-in ballots that aren't in his favor.

Because he's worried about "fraud" (really he's just worried about votes that are for the opposition) he's willing to fuck up the entire mail service, which affects literally everyone. Truly an incompetent and malicious leader.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I dont agree with his methods but I agree with why. Mail in voting will be the single largest hijacking of an election in history. It is fraught with risk of abuse and fraud.
Gaius Octavius

Post by Gaius Octavius »

There was a time I would buy into the whole idea of mail-in voting leading to widespread fraud, but the way that Trump addresses the concern makes it look like he's just desperate to prevent votes being cast in Biden's favor. The idea being that turnout will be bad during the 2020 election because of concerns over catching COVID at polling stations.

The messaging coming from Team Trump is "Biden sucks. We will win for sure!" but their actions tell otherwise.

I sincerely believe that he is afraid that he will lose the election.

With him installing a an ally as Postmaster General over the USPS and his blatant admission that he's blocking funding of the USPS solely because of mail-in ballots, I don't have faith that any votes cast in the mail will be counted or that certain votes will "disappear." I believe he is corrupt.

I am showing up in person to cast my vote, even if it kills me.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I will be at the ballot in person as well. No way I am trusting my vote to anyone else.

If we thought "hanging chads" was bad, this will be worse.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

ur-Nanothnir wrote:I am showing up in person to cast my vote, even if it kills me.
It won't, which is why mass campaigns of "we need to vote by mail" are ridiculous. As noted, if you wouldn't trust the mail to send in a $1,000,000 lottery ticket then you shouldn't trust it with your vote. Still, if someone absolutely demands to vote by mail, then go right ahead--I know that my in-person vote will count while the mail-in voter has to rely on faith that their vote will eventually be counted.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Competently run vote-by-mail operations, such as we have in Washington (our entire state is postal or drop-box voting) include county-run websites where a voter can confirm that their ballot was accepted, providing they can adequately provide verification that they really are said voter.

Given the uncertainties of 2020, Dam-sel, Menolly, and I all used the drop-box and subsequently confirmed our August 5 state primary votes were recorded; we'll do the same in November.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

SD - but what Pelosi, et al want is massive mail outs with campaign staffers ballot harvesting the votes.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Savor Dam wrote:Competently run vote-by-mail operations, such as we have in Washington (our entire state is postal or drop-box voting) include county-run websites where a voter can confirm that their ballot was accepted, providing they can adequately provide verification that they really are said voter.

Given the uncertainties of 2020, Dam-sel, Menolly, and I all used the drop-box and subsequently confirmed our August 5 state primary votes were recorded; we'll do the same in November.
The Secretary of State's website for Texas has that capability, as well, if only people would use it. Some counties have implemented it better than others, so it can still be hit-or-miss.

I will never trust my vote to anything except "in person", no matter the circumstances.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I certainly would not advocate for no in-person option; when WA decided to go entirely mail / drop, I rather missed the polling place experience. However, I am deeply grateful this year for ability to avoid in-person voting. Since I and mine are all at high risk, we really don't want to have to stand in lines and use voting equipment touched by countless others. Sure, it is possible to have it sanitized between voters, but how much would that slow down the process and lengthen the lines?

I agree that using the mail is problematic, especially in an age where the postal service is being actively sabotaged, but I have no qualms at all about the county-provided drop box being both secure and convenient.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

No need to believe Trump is actively sabotaging the post office. They managed to lose 8.8 billion on their own last year. The 13th straight year they have lost money. They have 11 billion dollars of debt. I'm just surprised that Trump hasn't sought to do something earlier than this.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Coercri”