Countdown to Fatal Revenant!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It's only nine days between them. This thursday isn't that lnog to wait.
And besides, in my experience Amazon UK almost always delivers preorders a couple of days early.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Stonemaybe wrote:This is so annoying - why is UK release date so late????? (18th)
Coincides with the SRD tour of the UK.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Last year, I ordered both copies - UK and US. I'm doing the same this year.

With the pound so much stronger than the dollar, you should have ordered from the US!
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." (Anais Nin)
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

burgs wrote:
Harriet is closing in on 15,000 reviews. We all know that she's not reading the books.
GAH! She's the third posted review now. And the review has the depth of .. well.... something really shallow.... time for stutty to go to bed "ein prosit ein prosit der gemutlichkeit!!!" just returned from fest.

guten abend all

stutt
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Aw, crap. I really hoped she wouldn't post. It's a five-star review, at least, but Harriet's "trolls" will likely jump all over it and the book will end up with 1 helpful vote out of 10.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Wow. Uh, spoilers in the Klausner review. She kinda just blurts the plot out.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

:(

She also tells me more than I wanted to know before reading. I'm sure it's not a big spoiler, but I really didn't want to know that ahead of time.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Her "review" has been deleted from the Amazon product page. I reported it for containing spoilers.

:twisted:
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

8O

*did I prompt that?*
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

You weren't the only person. Other people left comments on her review regarding the spoilers. I was glad, because that meant when it was reported, Amazon would read the comments, read the review, and make up their minds. Obviously, they agreed with the people who said there were spoilers.

For having nearly 15,000 reviews published, Harriet gets a fair amount of her reviews deleted for containing spoilers. She's really one of the worst reviewers Amazon "has".
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

WOO!

Got mine in the mail!
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

I'm not quite sure how to say this and *not* sound like I'm soliciting, but the best thing that anybody can do aside from buying Fatal Revenant is to give a helpful vote to any review on Amazon that is positive. (Amazon is the largest community review site on the Internet.)

Since mine is 1 of 2 reviews currently posted, I can't imagine that I can come off as anything but solicitous. However, as far as I understand Amazon's formula for calculating reviewer ranking, once you're past a certain number of helpful votes (I've seen that referenced as 15 votes), they don't count toward your rating. Mine already has 40 votes, so it if you vote for my review it shouldn't help me - but it might help potential readers.

Do as your conscience dictates, and please don't feel like you've just been approached by a vacuum cleaner salesman.
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

burgs wrote:I'm not quite sure how to say this and *not* sound like I'm soliciting, but the best thing that anybody can do aside from buying Fatal Revenant is to give a helpful vote to any review on Amazon that is positive. (Amazon is the largest community review site on the Internet.)

Since mine is 1 of 2 reviews currently posted, I can't imagine that I can come off as anything but solicitous. However, as far as I understand Amazon's formula for calculating reviewer ranking, once you're past a certain number of helpful votes (I've seen that referenced as 15 votes), they don't count toward your rating. Mine already has 40 votes, so it if you vote for my review it shouldn't help me - but it might help potential readers.

Do as your conscience dictates, and please don't feel like you've just been approached by a vacuum cleaner salesman.
yes, burgs, but does it take filters or bags? I hate bags. I like filters. but not cone-shaped ones. And it better not be loud. Is it loud? I dont like loud. How much is it, anyway? can you take a check? i don't use credit cards. :wink:
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

:oops:

*sigh*

Sometime in the middle of the night I woke up and realized that the better idea than *voting* for positive reviews is *writing* positive reviews. The more reviews an item has, the more "weight" it carries as that implies to people that the book is/was a big seller, or at least is very popular.

Still, reviews with no votes doesn't help much - so the more positive reviews with lots of votes that an item has, the better that item is perceived.

There are still only two reviews for the book, as Harriet's spoiler-laden review was removed.

Write, ye dogs!!
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

I PROMISE I'll write a review, but I must finish the book first! To do else would be unethical.

That said, I would also highly encourage everyone else to write a review. It doesn't have to be more than a few sentances long.

I'd wager that Bergs and I would both be willing to help wordsmith them if you like.

And I have to say, it's really quite exiciting when peopel start voting "yes" for your review. And it practically gives chills to have someone actually post a "you rock" comment.

stutt

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Yea, otherwise mine would read:

"The first 150 pages are quite interesting..."

I'm reading it slowly, on purpose ;-)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I went and not only wrote a review but I suddenly found everyone's nice review to be helpful! 8) :biggrin:
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Stutty
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Stutty »

Wouldn't kill us all to do the same at Barnes and Noble's as well. Being that Harriet's is currently the only review there....

1001001 = ASC(73) = "I"
burgs
The Gap Into Spam

Post by burgs »

Stutty wrote:Wouldn't kill us all to do the same at Barnes and Noble's as well. Being that Harriet's is currently the only review there....
You're right, of course. How silly of me to forget about that site entirely, especially when I commented on Harriet's review being there earlier in this thread. DUH.

I submitted mine. BN's layout isn't quite as friendly as Amazon's, so my extremely long review looks like a glob of gluck. I'll edit it later when I have more time.
hue of fuzzpaws
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by hue of fuzzpaws »

Picked up my copy of Fatal Revenant this afternoon from a local Waterstones shop. as I was going into work.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”