Pantheon 2.0 Registration Thread

Moderator: Xar

Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

For peace of mind, let's say you have to choose one race as a dominant race among your worshipers... perhaps that race is particularly fond of undeath. Remember that choosing any race doesn't mean you don't have worshipers of any other race, only that the race you chose is the one which is predominant among your faithful.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Why not name it a quality of one particular race? As in, one of the more magically inclined races might have a way around death unavailable to the others. In which case, Quee would not only be a god of undeath, but in particular one who encouraged members of that race to become undead, while other gods might deal with the mortal race and the undead where it applied.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Murrin wrote:Why not name it a quality of one particular race? As in, one of the more magically inclined races might have a way around death unavailable to the others. In which case, Quee would not only be a god of undeath, but in particular one who encouraged members of that race to become undead, while other gods might deal with the mortal race and the undead where it applied.
It's usually assumed that the "secret" would spread; the idea is that Quee should choose a standard race and name it undead (say, undead dragons), and that means that dragons as a race are fond of undeath to cheat oblivion. Other races may know the secrets of undeath, but they simply don't use it as much as dragons, in that case.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

I see that the Undead are somewhat a special case. Right, I might choose a new race so I can someone tell me what a Dwarrows(not another name for Dwarf is it?) and what is a Fey?
Also, why are Elves and (Hob)Gobins and all the other fantasy things(like those walking trees or giants)?
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Dwarrows are often used as a dwarf analogue in generic fantasy. From what little I've seen, they tend to be a bit more elf-like than dwarves.
I assumed Fey were being used in this case as an elf substitute.

I do have one question, though. Why Centaurs? They don't seem to fit with the rest.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Murrin wrote:Dwarrows are often used as a dwarf analogue in generic fantasy. From what little I've seen, they tend to be a bit more elf-like than dwarves.
I assumed Fey were being used in this case as an elf substitute.

I do have one question, though. Why Centaurs? They don't seem to fit with the rest.
You've got to talk with the Elder Gods for that one :P
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I have another question, and a little sneaky. Am I allowed to play with semantics and make a distinction between true undead, and animated dead? Wherein, the undead are not really dead (nor alive, of course), but the animated dead are.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Murrin wrote:I have another question, and a little sneaky. Am I allowed to play with semantics and make a distinction between true undead, and animated dead? Wherein, the undead are not really dead (nor alive, of course), but the animated dead are.
The fine distinction you make would be akin to the difference between the person who voluntarily enters undeath without dying first, and the poor guy who dies and is animated as an undead, whether mindless or not? In both cases we're talking about undeath then, even though it is reached in different ways. But for purposes of the game, both cases are undead.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Oh, no, I mean a more fundamental distinction than that. I mean corpses animated by some other power, whereas undead would have an (un-)life of their own. Would you still consider that undead?
I suppose it would be cutting it close. No matter, if I can't have my walking corpses, I'll find some other way to go about things.
Thinking of it that way... I suppose I have kind of put myself in control of the souls of the dead, rather than their corpses. Queg can have his undead. I'll take a different route.
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Murrin wrote:Oh, no, I mean a more fundamental distinction than that. I mean corpses animated by some other power, whereas undead would have an (un-)life of their own. Would you still consider that undead?
I suppose it would be cutting it close. No matter, if I can't have my walking corpses, I'll find some other way to go about things.
Thinking of it that way... I suppose I have kind of put myself in control of the souls of the dead, rather than their corpses. Queg can have his undead. I'll take a different route.
And so it begins... bwahahahahah!
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

I mean corpses animated by some other power, whereas undead would have an (un-)life of their own.
No, that is not fair if you could do that. Both types you mentioned are Undead and blong to me. You are the God of Death means you can kill/destroy/take life away from things.
I am the God of the Undead, surely I am the only one who can bring corpses and skeletons to life plus have control over disembodied spirits, damned mortal and vampires.
I suppose I have kind of put myself in control of the souls of the dead
Vampires n stuff sort of sell their souls to the God of Undead.

I am getting lost. Murrin being the God of Death and me being the God of the Undead...
Haven't you ever played Warcraft 3!!! I want control of all Undead(apart from the one Human who can bring back fallen soldiers but that is bringing back to their Original state).

Also, I still don't know what a Fey is. Can I just call the Dwarrows... Dwarfs. And why are there no Elves and Goblins?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Queeaqueg wrote:I am getting lost. Murrin being the God of Death and me being the God of the Undead...
Haven't you ever played Warcraft 3!!! I want control of all Undead(apart from the one Human who can bring back fallen soldiers but that is bringing back to their Original state).
Queg, just because you've played a game like that doesn't mean this has to be the same. Xar's game, he makes the rules. let him decide.
And why are there no Elves and Goblins?
The real question is, why the hell do you think there should be?
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Well I can't see the God of Death can command Undead stuff and bring back dead bodies n stuff. Usually a God of Death decids should die and helps pass on their souls to the next world. The God of Undead has the power over corpses, skeletons, disembodied spirits, damned mortal & souls and vampires.
I was using Warcraft as an example.

And who wouldn't want Elves n Dwarfs! :P

We'll see what Xar has to say..
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Queeaqueg wrote:Well I can't see the God of Death can command Undead stuff and bring back dead bodies n stuff. Usually a God of Death decids should die and helps pass on their souls to the next world. The God of Undead has the power over corpses, skeletons, disembodied spirits, damned mortal & souls and vampires.
I was using Warcraft as an example.

And who wouldn't want Elves n Dwarfs! :P

We'll see what Xar has to say..
Technically speaking, of course, the God of Death rules over the process of death and the souls... which means that he alone decides when mortals die, he can take their lives, and he arranges for their souls to reach their final destination. The god of the undead animates their earthly remains and rules over restless spirits who either refused the God of Death, or pledged their souls to other gods (including but not limited to the god of Undeath). Admittedly there are borderline cases (what about the priest who was mummified in order to protect the dynasty? Is he under the rule of death or undeath?), but these are situations that the involved gods need to sort by themselves. In short, it's up to you two whether you'll be friends or mortal (pardon the pun) foes.

As for elves... well, Murrin is right in saying that not every fantasy world automatically has every fantasy race; however, who knows whether there might be something more to it? :P
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

I think I'll join in this time to see what it's all about. Imagine an atheist playing this, I'm gonna suck ;)

So here goes (I'll create an alternative user profile later)

Name: Jastrau
Sphere: God of agriculture and abundance
Dogma: If it grows nurse it, if it's ripe eat it
Symbol: (See avatar for alternative profile)
Folowers: human
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

To play, do I have to be a deity? Or can I choose to be a registered deity's High Priestess, who would throw in the human unpredictablility of a character that the deity doesn't have complete control over?
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Menolly wrote:To play, do I have to be a deity? Or can I choose to be a registered deity's High Priestess, who would throw in the human unpredictablility of a character that the deity doesn't have complete control over?
Well, since this is the game of gods, you should technically create a divine character; however, the way you choose to relate to mortals in the world is your own business. Besides, playing the High Priestess of any god would not be very funny for you, since High Priests in this game tend to die fairly quickly due to a multitude of accidents, divinely caused or not ;)

C'mon, Menolly, you can do it... I'm sure Bhakti will give you his support in this :D

Oh, and Prebe, this should be rich :P
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Murrin wrote:
And why are there no Elves and Goblins?
The real question is, why the hell do you think there should be?
Well said.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

Count me in. If I create another profile for myself(which I may or may not do) I would still want to be e-mailed at the e-mail address I have for this profile. I'll probably just stay with this profile though.

Name: Happanamus
Sphere: The God Of Beauty :biggrin:
Dogma/Motto: Aurea mediocritas
Symbol: A 7-pointed star
Followers: Fey
Bhakti
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Bhakti »

Xar wrote:It's usually assumed that the "secret" would spread; the idea is that Quee should choose a standard race and name it undead (say, undead dragons), and that means that dragons as a race are fond of undeath to cheat oblivion. Other races may know the secrets of undeath, but they simply don't use it as much as dragons, in that case.
And yet, let's say I choose dragons, also. In order to Love for as long as possible, they use their knowledge of the secrets of undeath. When they become undead, will they be Loving? Or will they have no choice but to follow Quee, and be Warlike? Because if THAT'S the case, I'm adding Life to my Domains, so that all who Live must also be Loving.

The flip-side question is: In another reality, there was a god of the undead named Mephiston. If he did not ask someone before they died, he would often ask the dead if they wished to become undead. Now that there is an actual god of Death, will Quee have that option? Or are the dead in Maeror's territory, and, thus, inaccessible to anyone else without the individual's expressed desire while still alive? Because if THAT'S the case, I'm going to add Life to my Domains, so no other god can talk to any who Live.
I am the self-fulfilling prophecy. Give love, and you WILL receive love. Let your every answer, your every action and reaction, your every desire, be rooted in love.

Return to “Pantheon”