The Vizard

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Auleliel wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:
kevinswatch wrote:Am I the only one who thought that "The Vizard" was a very, very silly name?

-jay
I did initially but then got used to it.
I still think that it's a very silly name.
Especially because it's spelled V I Z A R D but it's pronounced "Throat-Warbler Mangrove".
Pharaoh
Servant of the Land

Post by Pharaoh »

I'm not sure about the silliness of the name, perhaps it has a meaning that will be explained later. I think he will have more to do with the story, dead or no. The dead are showing up all the time.
Solvitur
Servant of the Land

Silliness of "The Vizard" name

Post by Solvitur »

I believe, like most all archaic terms SRD revives for us, that "The Vizard" is perfect- I believe it means "mask"...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the Watch, Solvitur. (Why not go and introduce yourself in the Summonsing forum?)

In the Insequent Names thread, it was mentioned that Vizard might mean mask, or masked soldier.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

wayfriend wrote:Welcome to the Watch, Solvitur. (Why not go and introduce yourself in the Summonsing forum?)

In the Insequent Names thread, it was mentioned that Vizard might mean mask, or masked soldier.
That was a good thread, recommended for those interested in not only Insequent names, but just who the Insequent are that we've met.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
woodzter
Servant of the Land

Post by woodzter »

Aleksandr wrote:Re: This implies that the Insequent, while long-lived, do not necessarily have 7,000-year-long lifespans; the Theomach was an exception, as the Guardian of the One Tree, probably having taken on characteristics of the Elohim he defeated.

The Vizard lived from pre-Bloodguard times to post-Sunbane times (when Jeremiah could have encountered him). That's a pretty big chucnk of time.
"Re: This implies that the Insequent, while long-lived, do not necessarily have 7,000-year-long lifespans; the Theomach was an exception, as the Guardian of the One Tree, probably having taken on characteristics of the Elohim he defeated.

"The Vizard lived from pre-Bloodguard times to post-Sunbane times (when Jeremiah could have encountered him). That's a pretty big chucnk of time." Aleksandr

But Jerry with Roger and the Croyel's help could time travel. Maybe he met the Vizard that way- otherwise, he is long lived indeed! Seems like he is going to play a role yet, as someone in this thread pointed out, he has been mentioned too many times. Perhaps that was just to highlight the fact that Jerry has the power to build a box that threatens all the Elohim. I also agree that the way he died will be important to the story but gee whiz, I'm not sure he is dead. Seems straightforward enough what the Madoubt said about him but have you noticed all the fatal revenants around here! What's one more?
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

woodzter wrote:But Jerry with Roger and the Croyel's help could time travel. Maybe he met the Vizard that way
Interesting hypothesis... could be that if they went back in time to specifically face the Insequent, the Elohim wouldn't interfere, due to their hatred of the Insequent... yeah, this could work...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “Fatal Revenant”