Rogue Trader - Registration and Discussion Thread

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote:Just use a + and whatever designator you want so you can keep them all straight, and the Watch will send them all to goatkiller666@ChristIsMyBitch.com.
For some reason, not all email domains accept this though.
I think several tried this with hotmail, and it didn't work.
I'm unsure about yahoo.
It works for google though.

All of my active PCs have now been aligned with my Pantheon account.
So, should anyone send me a PM, the notification goes to heartoftheflame@gmail.com, whether it is to heartoftheflame+Laurel@gmail.com, or heartoftheflame+Virelai@gmail.com, etc.

You don't set up a new google account, if you already have one. Just add the designator when you enter the address in the email input when you register on the Watch. You do nothing to the google account.
Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

And to think I just went and created a Yahoo account...for shame, for shame.
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Just a thought

As the new Rogue trader on board the vessel, one would assume he would have files on alot of characters of note, basically you guys, listing a few points of their career etc. more public things, how long they have been on the ship and so forth.

I could be wrong but If im not, would it be possible for the players to draft up their own file and send it to me? just the more public things, not their dirty little secrets that wouldnt be on a file anyway. Things like rank, age, birthworld, notable points of their career etc.

Would just suit my character a bit more as he is the sort who would read every ones files to try and know as much about them as he could.
Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

My employment details are available for viewing in the Dynasty's Pict-records, as I have been the X.O of this vessel for some time now. They will be uploaded to you in due course.

The Emperor Protects.

(Sorry Montresor, no bogus RP in this thread :P)
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

No problem.

It's a good idea, actually. Certain characters would not have files of any note (or at all), so I'd like to leave it to player discretion. The Explorator, for instance, will most likely be newly 'on loan' from the Adeptus Mechnicus, and asking questions about their past would be, well, impolite and unorthodox. The Navigator's family and background would be considered extremely privilged information, however, some details on his role in the ship would definitely be known.

Although the Seneschal is as new an appointment as the RT, her details would be well known to the Dynasty. For all intents and purposes, she is a part of the Dynasty (though will never inherit). As for the Arch-Militant, I'd like to leave that up to Drak-Kung. They can either arrive with the RT, as some kind of Dynastic appointed bodyguard, or they could be on board the ship, in charge of security.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Im having trouble deciding on a name.

I came up with a huge section of history last night whilst bored at work, but im hung over at the moment and am having to piece it all back together
Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

^ Haha sounds familiar.

The random name generator listed in the links really is useful for ideas. Working out my characters back story was surprisingly easy using the Origin Path mechanic (with Montresor's help, of course!). Everything just came together quite naturally.
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Nice, actually, does the Dynasty have a family name I should be using?
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Dorian wrote:Nice, actually, does the Dynasty have a family name I should be using?
I've been holding back from that.

I would like to give them a family name (as I have something of a chronology worked out for them), though I didn't want to force you take a surname that I devised. Alternatively, the Dynasty name could be something like a peerage name - for example, when Arthur Wellesley became the Duke of Wellington, he was simply known as "Wellington". Or, in the novel (and film) Barry Lyndon, Redmond Barry married the Countess Lyndon, and succesfully petitions to add her surname to his (as her's is the more prestigious).
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

For the record, the Dynasty's name is Amphael.

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

My character is Rogue Trader Garrius Amphael. Ill make a account for him tonight
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

And here's a look at what will probably end up being the schematic of the ship, based off the Firestorm class of Frigate:

This is from a photo of the sketch I made. I'll scan a clearer image at some stage.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Stone Magnet wrote:
Andrea Chan-Gauthier wrote: * taken without permission from the webcomic Goblins.
Damn you Goats. I couldn't stop reading this last night. First to last. Exam tommorrow. Procrastination is a most heinous sin. :roll:
<wrings hands evilly>

Excellent. Most excellent, indeed.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

wont put this in useful links as it isn't useful, but a good laugh

arcath.deeundee.com/viewtopic.php?p=599 ... 10fa67cf78
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Just a quick piece of advice to those players who chose to generate their stats by spending the 100 points. A couple of players maxed out as many stats as they could, and left quite a few stats with the base score in them. This is actually highly inadviseable. Although you will excel in some areas, the low stats in others will probably mean that you will often fair quite poorly.

The Warhammer systems are not known as forgiving, so be prepared for a challenge if you ever have to make a test on a stat which you have left at 25. It will not only mean that you will more than likely fail, but you will most likely fail by two degrees or more, which is never a good thing. Having a stat at 45 is a good thing, but having 3 or four at that score at the expense of as many other stats is potentially disastrous (and might end up being no fun for the player).

I'm only throwing this out as friendly advice to those players who maxed their stats at the cost of others. Feel free to re-arrange those stats if you like (before we start, and let me know). Give strong consideration to dropping those three or four 45 scores down to high 30s or 40, so that you can bring the deficit up.

If you don't want to do that, that's fine, I just thought it would be fair to warn people of the potential of playing through some sheer frustration (for them...possibly amusement for me :twisted: ). In all seriousness, though, heed my words :)

Oh, and that link from Dorian was hilarious.

Stone Magnet
Giantfriend

Post by Stone Magnet »

^ This one...

...was my personal favourite.

Excellent ship sketch by the way. The Battlefleet Gothic fluff states that the general length to height ratio on most Imperial designs is 6 to 1 (or 5 to 1 for larger vessels I think). Using this yardstick should be easy to work out the ships dimensions (unless this has been already generated haha).
Druids gather at the circle of stones,
To worship the ancient ones.

In the glow of a dying red sun,
Their rites of evil have only just begun...

Electric Wizard - Black Butterfly
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Stone Magnet wrote: Excellent ship sketch by the way. The Battlefleet Gothic fluff states that the general length to height ratio on most Imperial designs is 6 to 1 (or 5 to 1 for larger vessels I think). Using this yardstick should be easy to work out the ships dimensions (unless this has been already generated haha).

The dimensions are clear in the rulebook. The ship will be 1.8 kms long (not including the lance), .3kms wide at the fins (the dorsal batteries), and about .4kms deep. This makes a Frigate taller than the Empire State Building. When you account for some sections having massive ceiling space, you'd still have 50+storeys in most of the ship. Truly titanic. Nothing compared to a battleship...

Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

I have opened a thread entitled "Dynastic Archives". Players should feel free to post character back stories in here. They should feel free to post these in whatever fashion they wish.

Of course, backstories here will be counted towards XP.

Drak-Kung
Ramen

Post by Drak-Kung »

How soon we going to start? *frothing at the mouth in anticipation*

Hey, this is the first new (to me) game system I've played in a long, long time. *insert cliched jaded, cynical world weary observation here*
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Soon, soon.

I'm just going to be very busy over the next few nights, so probably won't get to post much or reply often. I should have a lot of details up on Monday-ish. After that, we can pretty much start.

Return to “Rogue Trader”