TRON: LEGACY

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

The Grid is simply a self-contained system. I could take my computer offline, make all kinds of incredible programs, copy the program onto a disc, then upload it to the internet via another computer. But my computer never has to get connected to the internet again, right? It's a testing ground. And I don't want anybody else getting into it and stealing my secrets.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Hashi,
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:I don't have the video game. That seems to be common these days--plot from the official video game released before the movie applies to the movie. *shrug*

I wonder why the Grid isn't connected? I mean, other than the fact that a connection would already have given Clu a way out.

Who'd heard of the internet in 1989 when Flynn is supposed to have disappeared? It was still primarily military back then.

For the record I really enjoyed this film. However, a couple of nitpicks. First, how did the power stay on to the Grid after Flynn was pulled inside perminately? Second, let's assume the army CLU built actually gets into the real world 2(a) aren't you going to have thousands of human sized programs crammed inside Flynn's tiny subbasement; 2(b) if they get out of the sub-basement I want to see the scene where they attack a few "users" with frizbees that just bounce off the "users" chest.

The person hit looks at the oddly dressed "Program" and says, "Dude, what the hell is wrong with you" then walks off.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

SerScot wrote:Hashi,

Who'd heard of the internet in 1989 when Flynn is supposed to have disappeared? It was still primarily military back then.

For the record I really enjoyed this film. However, a couple of nitpicks. First, how did the power stay on to the Grid after Flynn was pulled inside perminately? Second, let's assume the army CLU built actually gets into the real world 2(a) aren't you going to have thousands of human sized programs crammed inside Flynn's tiny subbasement; 2(b) if they get out of the sub-basement I want to see the scene where they attack a few "users" with frizbees that just bounce off the "users" chest.

The person hit looks at the oddly dressed "Program" and says, "Dude, what the hell is wrong with you" then walks off.
I did, only the phrase "Internet" didn't come into being until...around 1993, I think. I was using e-mail, connecting to external computers with modems, and working my way into the university's admisisons computers back in 1988. Usenet groups were "the thing" but there were too many of them to keep track of, much like Internet sites now. We also wasted too much time playing MUDs, the pre-Internet versions of MMORPGs.

I am showing my age now. :biggrin:

I suspect Clu's idea was that they would get guns upon coming to Earth...presuming he knows what a gun is. We know that programs may be derezzed then reloaded relatively easily but I suspect Clu doesn't fully realize that death is permanent.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Hashi,

I didn't discover the "internet" until right before I graduated college in 1993. I still think CLU wouldn't have known what the hell to do when all 10K programs were trapped in Flynn's Arcade's subbasement.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I concur. All these programs would be totally lost and unprepared for the physical world. They wouldn't know where to go to begin trying to accomplish their stated goals, much less mundane things such as how to get food.

Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:I concur. All these programs would be totally lost and unprepared for the physical world. They wouldn't know where to go to begin trying to accomplish their stated goals, much less mundane things such as how to get food.
Quorra seemed ok with some guidance. Maybe Clu was doing research in his spare time.

As for the discs, they might actually kill someone if those program dudes were whippin' em at people's heads.
SerScot wrote:I didn't discover the "internet" until right before I graduated college in 1993. I still think CLU wouldn't have known what the hell to do when all 10K programs were trapped in Flynn's Arcade's subbasement.
Geez, I thought Al Gore didn't even invent the Internet until '93! Shows what I know.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:I concur. All these programs would be totally lost and unprepared for the physical world. They wouldn't know where to go to begin trying to accomplish their stated goals, much less mundane things such as how to get food.

Wasn't that the point of capturing Bridges' (forget his character's name) disc? I know sometime had passed since he had left our world, but they'd have enough. Besides, how hard would it be for AIs to draw data from the net once they were in our world?
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

___ wrote:I remember Flynn saying (in effect) he and Clu were at a stalemate, so Clu had to change the game.
I thought it was an attempt to flush Flynn out of hiding.

Well, I saw this on Sunday, and I'm still not sure what to think. I think overall it is a negative for me. I think the biggest problem I had was the pacing was awful. Someone above was exactly correct that there was too much exposition. But I also think a lot of the fun and wonder of this strange world was absent, which is what made the first movie so good. And I always liked muffled and strange sounds of the world of just the sound of their feet on the floor. That was completely absent as well.

But overall, it was bad...it just wasn't all that true to the original, despite several in jokes. I think those that have not seen the original will probably like it more.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Loremaster wrote:
Wasn't that the point of capturing Bridges' (forget his character's name) disc? I know sometime had passed since he had left our world, but they'd have enough. Besides, how hard would it be for AIs to draw data from the net once they were in our world?
Apparently it takes a user disc to transfer from Grid to Real World. Once here, though, programs should be pretty good at working their way into systems. I suspect they would just love the Internet.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Cagliostro wrote: But overall, it was bad...it just wasn't all that true to the original, despite several in jokes. I think those that have not seen the original will probably like it more.
The original is one of my favorite movies (yes, I'm not ashamed to say that).

I rate the new one 7/10.

Sure it wasn't "true" to the original in some ways, but if it had been, it would have attracted maybe half the box office. I'd rather the movie jettison some of the off-putting/odd/nerdgasm stuff in order to appeal to a broader fanbase and thus be successful.

I'd like there to be a sequel, which will in all likelihood be awesome.

Think of Batman Begins. Do you remember tons of people complaining that it wasn't "true" to the comics or animated series or whatever? People saying that Batman Beyond animated movie was better, and they should have adapted that to live action instead? Same deal. That sort of thing would have tanked, because it appeals to too small a niche audience. So we would have gotten no Dark Knight.

Sure, Tron fans would have eaten up a modern re-do of the original. And it would have made Kick-Ass or Scott Pilgrim dollars. Which is to say it would have been a financial disaster.

I liked Legacy, and look forward to a sequel, which I think will be the bomb.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

You definitely have a point, and I would like to see another Tron movie.

Here is word that another movie may be on its way. As much as I was underwhelmed with Legacy, I'd love them to have another shot at it.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Cagliostro wrote:As much as I was underwhelmed with Legacy, I'd love them to have another shot at it.
Wait, really? This one disappointed you, so you want another one?

As soon as I see that a series has tanked creatively, I give up on it. It's the same reason I won't see the next Transformers or Spiderman movies, or the next XMen. I might be willing to see another Bourne, depending on what the premise of it is... there's little left you can do with the character in the film continuity, however.

Tron: Legacy was fine on its own. However, given the lack of character growth, interaction and development in this one movie, I don't see how they could argue the need for more.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Rigel wrote:Wait, really? This one disappointed you, so you want another one?

As soon as I see that a series has tanked creatively, I give up on it. It's the same reason I won't see the next Transformers or Spiderman movies, or the next XMen. I might be willing to see another Bourne, depending on what the premise of it is... there's little left you can do with the character in the film continuity, however.

Tron: Legacy was fine on its own. However, given the lack of character growth, interaction and development in this one movie, I don't see how they could argue the need for more.
I'm not so quick to give up on things, and it seemed this movie struggled a bit with tying in their new vision of the world with the past. The next movie might be free of this, so could be more of a kick-ass movie. I'm usually in for disappointment in this area, but occasionally they rise above it and make it better. Since Batman has been mentioned earlier, if I had given up after the cinematic abortions pre-Batman Begins, I would have missed out. I guess I kind of look at it like with musicians; sometimes the greatest musicians have clunker albums, but then they get inspired again. The same can happen with filmmakers, but typically they move on to new projects, and using X-Men as an example, they don't always get the best replacements.

So, yeah, I'd be interested in another sequel that might be a bit more free to explore.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life

Return to “Flicks”