Does SRD write with a Thesaurus in his lap?

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Cambo wrote:
shadowbinding shoe wrote:Maybe it shouldn't but the word "tsunami" grated on me when said by a Humbled. It doesn't seem to fit into their world.
I dunno, I can't really think what I'd have the Humbled say instead of tsunami. They're a unique occurrence. All the substitutes I can think of either make the Humbled sound like idiots:

Clyme: A wave approaches. It is of quite significant stature.

Or take a lot of explaining:

Branl: It is coming.
TC: What? The tsunami?
Branl: We do not know this word "tsunami." I do not believe it is spoken in the Land. It has an ungainly sound on the tongue, as if it were more suited to another world, perhaps, ur-Lord, the world of your origin. But the Haruchai remember occasions such as this when the water receded from the land, only to return with great alacrity-
TC: Hellf-*glub*
Branl: A wave approaches. A wave to smite us from our places and carry us away, as caesures do, to places unknown. We are mountainfolk, unused to the ways of the Sea, yet we have heard the Giants talk of such. Joy may be in the ears that hear yet we take no joy in this telling. The giants call them Shore-leapers and Giant-smashers. Take heed Ur-Lord and flee!
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

SS,
shadowbinding shoe wrote:Maybe it shouldn't but the word "tsunami" grated on me when said by a Humbled. It doesn't seem to fit into their world.
That struck me too. Since Tsunami is a Japanese word adopted into English. It seemed out of place. But it is such a wonderfully descriptive word I understand why it was used.

He could have called it a "Great-wave". That's pretty descriptive.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
carolyn
Servant of the Land

Post by carolyn »

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new here so I'm not sure if this has been posted already. Forgive me if you're all familiar with it

www.gdiproductions.net/srdamd/

It's quite handy :)
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Well I sure wasn't! That's awesome. Maybe I'll start reading SRD with that in my lap :lol:
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

carolyn wrote:Hi everyone. I'm fairly new here so I'm not sure if this has been posted already. Forgive me if you're all familiar with it

Heh...that's been posted around the Watch in many times/places, but can never be linked too often.
Someone should set it so it always shows up at the top of the index.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:
Cambo wrote:
I dunno, I can't really think what I'd have the Humbled say instead of tsunami. They're a unique occurrence. All the substitutes I can think of either make the Humbled sound like idiots:

Clyme: A wave approaches. It is of quite significant stature.

Or take a lot of explaining:

Branl: It is coming.
TC: What? The tsunami?
Branl: We do not know this word "tsunami." I do not believe it is spoken in the Land. It has an ungainly sound on the tongue, as if it were more suited to another world, perhaps, ur-Lord, the world of your origin. But the Haruchai remember occasions such as this when the water receded from the land, only to return with great alacrity-
TC: Hellf-*glub*
Branl: A wave approaches. A wave to smite us from our places and carry us away, as caesures do, to places unknown. We are mountainfolk, unused to the ways of the Sea, yet we have heard the Giants talk of such. Joy may be in the ears that hear yet we take no joy in this telling. The giants call them Shore-leapers and Giant-smashers. Take heed Ur-Lord and flee!
That's actually a point. How the hell did the Humbled even know what a tsunami was? From their history in FR, it sounds like the first time they left the mountains was when they went to the land of the Insequent, then they went to the Land. Did we just discover a plot hole? 8O

thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Vraith wrote:
carolyn wrote:Hi everyone. I'm fairly new here so I'm not sure if this has been posted already. Forgive me if you're all familiar with it

Heh...that's been posted around the Watch in many times/places, but can never be linked too often.
I don't see
puerile
listed there.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
Vraith wrote:

I don't see
puerile
listed there.
hmmm...maybe it will help used in a different sentence. Perhaps one like:
"WOTWE made a puerile complaint concerning the completeness of the "SRD Ate My Dictionary" website."
I sincerely hope that helps. 8O :twisted: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Sorry Worm...I just couldn't resist...man I crack myself up sometimes. [often with seriously insufficient reason].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Vraith wrote:
TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
Vraith wrote: Heh...that's been posted around the Watch in many times/places, but can never be linked too often.
I don't see
puerile
listed there.
hmmm...maybe it will help used in a different sentence. Perhaps one like:
"WOTWE made a puerile complaint concerning the completeness of the "SRD Ate My Dictionary" website."
I sincerely hope that helps. 8O :twisted: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Sorry Worm...I just couldn't resist...man I crack myself up sometimes. [often with seriously insufficient reason].
Now that deserves a www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7aGFrVSTAY
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote: Now that deserves a www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7aGFrVSTAY
wow...that's perfect...it's one of my short list of songs that people who know me say "I can't believe you like that song!"
Another on that list is "Total Eclipse of the Heart" which is also my fave literal video. You should check it out, if haven't.

Hmmmm...
"Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Vraith?"
"I think so Worm...just how POIT and NAAARFFF would it be to make a Literal Video of "SRD Ate my Dictionary!"
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Vraith wrote:
TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote: Now that deserves a www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7aGFrVSTAY
wow...that's perfect...it's one of my short list of songs that people who know me say "I can't believe you like that song!"
Another on that list is "Total Eclipse of the Heart" which is also my fave literal video. You should check it out, if haven't.

Hmmmm...
"Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Vraith?"
"I think so Worm...just how POIT and NAAARFFF would it be to make a Literal Video of "SRD Ate my Dictionary!"
Has anyone thought of trying to do a comic or anime version of the Chronicles? After seeing CameraJenn et al's version of LFB I think it could work.
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

"Chthonic" needs adding to it! Pertaining to deities of the underworld, apparently. A very handy word for everyday conversation.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Barnetto wrote:

"Chthonic" needs adding to it! Pertaining to deities of the underworld, apparently. A very handy word for everyday conversation.
I wondered whether the concept of Cthulthu was derived from this word?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

shadowbinding shoe wrote: I wondered whether the concept of Cthulthu was derived from this word?
Huh...now I wonder that, too.
And I wonder why it never occurred to me...
Hurry up S-shoe, go find out!
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Vraith wrote:
shadowbinding shoe wrote: I wondered whether the concept of Cthulthu was derived from this word?
Huh...now I wonder that, too.
And I wonder why it never occurred to me...
Hurry up S-shoe, go find out!
Well, I'm not sure how qualified I am for this task, never having read any of Lovecraft's novels but I'll give it a shot.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Neither does the word "unhermeneuticable" as stated by Pitchwife.

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Cambo wrote:How the hell did the Humbled even know what a tsunami was? From their history in FR, it sounds like the first time they left the mountains was when they went to the land of the Insequent, then they went to the Land. Did we just discover a plot hole? 8O
Nah. There have been Haruchai on the high seas in the past, and Cail met the merewives before he was kicked out of the order. One of them could well have inserted the concept of "tsunami" into the collective Haruchai memory at some point. Or they could have picked it up from one of the Giants at some point "offscreen" of the events of the Chrons.

Anyhow, if we're going to get picky about Japanese-into-English words, we could also go back to the 1st Chrons and wonder how the Ravers got Sanskrit names. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The fact that they all know the entire English language in the Land is a much bigger deal than knowing one Japanese word.

And there's a Lord named, "Kevin," for Pete's sake!
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Zarathustra wrote:The fact that they all know the entire English language in the Land is a much bigger deal than knowing one Japanese word.

And there's a Lord named, "Kevin," for Pete's sake!
Think I agree with the point here [assuming that I understand it, and think I do]
All that matters is if the concept could exist for the Land-dwellers...the real-world etymology is tangential and minor. The Giants have thousands of years of the "Gift of Tongues." The haruchai have at least 10,000 years of shared racial memory, have known giants for at least 8000 of them...of course they know what a freakin tsunami is.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Heh my tongue was in my cheek when I suggested the tsunami was a plot hole.

I think Donaldson mentioned somewhere in the GI that the lack of language barrier between Covenant and the people of the Land could be seen as a factor supporting his Unbelief.

In the last two series, it seems pretty evident to me that the Land is real, as forces there have a tangible effect in our world, and vice versa. Unbelief would be stretched to incorporate the Community of Retribution, Joan knowing that Covenant "goes somewhere," etc. So it's clear that the worlds are linked in some way, which opens the possibility for language/culture transmissions.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”