XBOX Workers Threaten Suicide

Archive From The 'Tank
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

wayfriend wrote:
Cail wrote:Sort of like your assumption that I'm upset.
I was kind of hoping you would say, "Kind of like your assumption that ... oops, I see. I get it, that's what *I* did. Ha ha, very funny, you made your point."
Wow, what's next, "I know you are but what am I"?

Stay classy Wayfriend..... :roll:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Yea, someone makes a comment about communists, then others make ridiculous claim its racist, and when its pointed out how ridiculous it is, now we're talking about ethnic wars and those arrogant snobby Americans. Uh huh. None of that defies logic.

If people left b/c they consider something like this racism, don't blame us, blame a lack of understanding.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Cybrweez wrote:Yea, someone makes a comment about communists, then others make ridiculous claim its racist,
Of course it doesn't make sense ... you think that THAT is what happened.

(a) make up something about someone
(b) level criticism at them about the thing you made up
No reality required.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

God damn are we done?

I think it's pretty bad when workers have to threaten to kill themselves to get some attention to their position.

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Avatar wrote:I think it's pretty bad when workers have to threaten to kill themselves to get some attention to their position.
"Had to"? I'm not convinced they did.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Well, it's gotten the attention of a dozen or so Internetizens who are nitpicking the &^$%# out of each other on pseudo-related subjects. What other reaction could they have hoped for? :roll:

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Avatar wrote:I think it's pretty bad when workers have to threaten to kill themselves to get some attention to their position.
Last year, and apparently at some other times, a number of chinese workers DID commit suicide over their working conditions. It garnered a lot of attention. It's a reasonable assumption that these workers thought that the spectre of a repeat mass suicide would gain them similar attention.

This is why I always choose hunger strike. It's easy, lasts longer, and is reversible. :)
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Cail wrote:
"Had to"? I'm not convinced they did.
Foxconn's factory in Shenzhen? Come on, this place is legendary.

There have been at least 6 documented suicides at this plant in the last two years. The company claimed they had solved the problem when they installed netting to catch falling people.

This is the same company that would recruit from rural villages, offering a "high tech education," then lock people in the factory and make them assemble iphones or xboxes. And when I say they locked them in... they actually locked the doors at night.

This is the same CEO who said it's good for workers to be hungry, because it sharpens their minds.

They've been in the press for a couple of years now. All I had to see was "Chinese workers threaten suicide," and I knew which factory they were talking about... and I was right!

This company is the worst blight on capitalism. When people think of corporate greed without regard to human cost, they think of this factory whoring out its labor force, trampling them underfoot, so we can buy our pretty gadgets. Sure, it's a Chinese company, and these are Chinese nationals... but they're doing it for us, because WE want to save money on labor, and WE don't care how that happens.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

They are doing it b/c they make money off of it. And much like the capitalist pigs/1% in America, most people will abuse others to get what they can. Human nature I guess.

WE don't care, b/c we get cheap stuff. Abuse others to get what we can and all.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Thanks Rigel. Didn't realise this was the same company. Sounds pretty bad alright.

--A

Return to “Coercri”