Apple and fraud

Archive From The 'Tank
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

No, I think it only makes sense to those who value govt workers as people.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I wish they didn't call it "right to work". Because they make it sound like it's a right to work. Pretty deceptive, and probably will come back to bite them.
Cail wrote:I'll just point out a few things .....
Recently I learned from watching Big Bang Theory what a Post Hoc Ergo Proctor Hoc falacy is.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

wayfriend wrote:
Cail wrote:I'll just point out a few things .....
Recently I learned from watching Big Bang Theory what a Post Hoc Ergo Proctor Hoc falacy is.
Apparently not..... :lol:

All I did was point out that right to work states aren't, in your words, "on it's way to being China".
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Cybrweez wrote:No, I think it only makes sense to those who value govt workers as people.
Please tell me you're being a smartass. :-x
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

:lol:
--Andy

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Cail wrote:You've apparently bought into the pro-union propaganda, as your example can happen in any state, regardless of law.
It's got nothing to do with pro-union propaganda, whatever that is. :LOLS:

I'm just not clear on exactly what this "right to work" is supposed to be.

I was under the impression that it had something to do with how easy or not it was to fire people.

Like, here, you can't just fire somebody. Except in cases with clear evidence of a contravention of your employment contract, there are procedures which need to be followed, and the employee has rights ensuring that they're not fired unfairly.

I've gotten the sense that the same is not true in the states, and discussing it in the past, I gathered (perhaps incorrectly) that it had to do with whether the state was "right to work" or not.

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick here...

(Oh, and nobody can/should be forced to join a union.)
Z wrote:...then the fact that the government is the middle man who extracts the money isn't a significant distinction, IMO.
Course it is. If government plays along with them and decides to pay, they could cover that money from anywhere they wanted. Hell, if you ask me, they're complicit in laying the blame. "Oh, we don't want to take this money from you, but the unions have left us no choice..." Please. :lol:

--A
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Avatar wrote: I'm just not clear on exactly what this "right to work" is supposed to be.

I was under the impression that it had something to do with how easy or not it was to fire people.
What you're thinking of called "at will" employment here. It means that an employer can fire you at any time, and you can quit at any time, with or without a reason (you can quit "at will").

"Right to work" means you can't be required to join a union or pay union dues as a condition of employment. Conversely, if you refuse to join a union and pay union dues, the union can't demand that you be fired.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

There is no such thing as a right to work. Calling this other thing "right to work" is meant to make it seem more palatable than it is - in other words, to deceive. And it will backfire.

- - - - - - - -

Tennesee was notably in the news this morning. Seems that things are turning around, and the state has some extra money.

Now, the state workers, who's right to bargain has been outlawed by the state, have had their pay and benefits cut all throughout the state's financial crisis.

So now that the revenue is going upwards again, guess what the state is doing? Yep. Cutting taxes.

So this is a great demonstration of the need for collective bargaining: because when the state wants to cut your wages and benefits, budget problems are only a convenient excuse, and the real agenda is to gouge state workers.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

wayfriend wrote:There is no such thing as a right to work. Calling this other thing "right to work" is meant to make it seem more palatable than it is - in other words, to deceive. And it will backfire.
Who was it meant to deceive, and how will it backfire?

Right to work, in this context, means that you can't be forced to join a union. I thought choice was good?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

wayfriend wrote:Tennesee was notably in the news this morning. Seems that things are turning around, and the state has some extra money.
I think I read recently (but can't find it now :( ) that revenue is up in all but two states -- one of which being Wisconsin. Can't remember the other one, which is why I wanted to find the article.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

According to MSNBC, the proposed tax cuts for TN are $32 million, nearly half of which are a cut in taxes on groceries (seems a reasonable thing to do in a recession), with the other portion being a raise on the inheritance tax limit (which will provide fodder for "tax cuts for the rich" arguments). Together these tax cuts are only 5.7% of the $565 million increase in expected revenues.

For the sake of comparison, giving state workers a raise of only 1% would be $55.2 million. So the relief being given to tax payers wouldn't even pay for a 1% raise for public employees, but will help everyone with their grocery bill (including public employees).

Yes, the revenues are up, but they're still not at 2008 levels, and won't be for years.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Still, TN is paying for vote-buying and gold-card-perks-for-the-1% on the backs of state workers.

If they had raised sales tax and estate tax to balance the budget, then there would be a good argument for restoring them now to the proper level.

Else ... you either think about the people who sacrificed to see you through the crisis ... or else you don't.

Of course, Tennesseeans may be of a mind to applaud the whole arrangement, what with being taught how lazy and thieving state workers actually are.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

wayfriend wrote:Still, TN is paying for vote-buying and gold-card-perks-for-the-1% on the backs of state workers.

If they had raised sales tax and estate tax to balance the budget, then there would be a good argument for restoring them now to the proper level.

Else ... you either think about the people who sacrificed to see you through the crisis ... or else you don't.

Of course, Tennesseeans may be of a mind to applaud the whole arrangement, what with being taught how lazy and thieving state workers actually are.
Can you explain how a reduction in grocery taxes are a perk for 1%ers?

And can you address your previous accusations regarding deceptions and backfiring?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Rigel wrote: What you're thinking of called "at will" employment here...

"Right to work" means you can't be required to join a union or pay union dues as a condition of employment...
Aha, thanks for the clarification Rigel.
Cail wrote:Right to work, in this context, means that you can't be forced to join a union. I thought choice was good?
Sounds fine to me.

Uh...does this mean that you have states where you can be forced to join a union?

Oh, and one last thing...yes, it's a confusing name for it at best.

--A
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Avatar wrote: Uh...does this mean that you have states where you can be forced to join a union?
--A
Ever heard the term "union shop?" Some states allow unions to force their employers to agree to only hire union members. If they hire someone non-union, that person has a certain amount of time to join the union or be terminated.

It's good for the union, as it means they're guaranteed more members. But in right to work states, where this practice is illegal, unions must work harder to convince workers to join, meaning they offer more benefits with membership.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I Googled quite a bit to see if I could find any information on TN state workers having made any sacrifice in terms of reduced benefits or wages, and--despite this story being "notable in the news" (apparently)--I couldn't find anything to support the claim.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Zarathustra wrote:I Googled quite a bit to see if I could find any information on TN state workers having made any sacrifice in terms of reduced benefits or wages, and--despite this story being "notable in the news" (apparently)--I couldn't find anything to support the claim.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a reduction in grocery taxes is a gold-card-perk-for-the-1% on the backs of state workers.

Hopefully explanations are forthcoming.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Cail,

I imagine the counter will be that it's a benefit for everyone including the 1% and thus not really fair.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

I think he's referring to the inheritance tax limit. I'd have to say, seems like a dumb cut, why not just put it all on groceries?
--Andy

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Cybrweez wrote:I think he's referring to the inheritance tax limit. I'd have to say, seems like a dumb cut, why not just put it all on groceries?
It's called throwing a bone. Politicians are doing something to show they care about the people who donate the most to them.

Return to “Coercri”