My ultimate to play TC in a film version

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I'm coming around to the Ed Norton idea, as his acting pedigree is beyond doubt (Keeping the Faith aside). I don't think he has his American History X muscles anymore, and if he lost some weight and was given Robert Redford-style salt and pepper colour hair (which I always imagined TC to have. Contrary to the books, I suspect) he could really look the part.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Sheol
Giantfriend

Post by Sheol »

What about the other characters? I think Nicol Williamson could do a good job as Mhoram. Thats all I have time for now (I have to get to class), I will get back to it.
My right hand is lightning and my left is thunder.
My eyes are flame.
My heart is ashes.
Look upon me and tremble.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yep, Norton's got the range for it, and he's already proven he can play sometimes detestible characters.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
longinus
Servant of the Land

Post by longinus »

actually i could imagine steve buceme (spelling) as being able to play TC very well. Or perhaps kevin spacey, he, i think has quite the ability to pull it off. also perhaps jeff bridges as mhoram.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I've got this thing about Kevin Spacey. I really enjoy his movies, and I think he plays one or two kinds of character absolutely perfectly, but I don't think he has any extraordinary degree of range.

Spoiler for people who haven't seen The Usual Suspects:
Spoiler
I heard he's going to be the new Lex Luthor. I'm betting his Lex will be exactly the same as his Keyser Soze.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

I mentioned Steve Buscemi in another thread, he has that gaunt look and is a great actor (Wedding Singer and Con Air). I think of Spacey from Seven, and he seems to creepy to me. Although his character from American Beauty might be pretty close. Going after teenagers and all. I love Christopher Walken, but he's kinda old isn't he? He was great in the SNL skit about the cow bells. And in Blast from the Past and Pulp Fiction, he's hilarious.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Gary Oldman, Walken, and Jeremy Irons seems so much alike to me.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Avytaya
Stonedownor

Post by Avytaya »

I agree with the PP that suggested Steve Buscemi, he gets my vote. Definately an anti-hero. I think his has wonderful range-he can play creepy bad-guy (the Sopranos, Fargo, Resevior Dogs) and lovable geek (Ghost World). Anyone who had seen him in Ghost World would have to agree that he would make a great TC.
Now if we could only get a good Foamfollower......
-Avy
Aranion
Stonedownor

Post by Aranion »

Newbie kicking in here...

While many fine and talented actors have been named, few (if any) meet important criteria (important if the filmmakers are going to be faithful to all the Chronicles chronology):

Age.

In TWL, Linden notes that Covenant looks to be about 40; so it seems reasonable that TC was about 30 when the first trilogy took place.

So, ideally, an actor between 25 and 35 who meets the overal physical description (gaunt and severe-looking) while not being freakish or ugly.

From a practical standpoint, you want someone youngish so that if they make films out of the first 3 (which could easily encompass 5-6 years of real life), the actor looks the age throughout all three movies.

Will have to ponder who in the right age range would make a good Covenenant....
"There is nothing beautiful or sweet or great in life that is not mysterious."

--Francois Rene de Chateaubriand
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I do too, Myste. I really like Kevin Spacey. I think he would be a good TC but I think he is too old for the part. Maybe he would be a better Hile Troy.
The King has one more move.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Aranion wrote:
In TWL, Linden notes that Covenant looks to be about 40; so it seems reasonable that TC was about 30 when the first trilogy took place.
That's what I thought, too.
hamako
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by hamako »

Guy Pearce - gaunt enough, right age and would look like a fanatic with a raggy beard. OR Christian Bale - reprising his role in Reign of Fire.
He came dancing across the water...what a killer...
hamako
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by hamako »

Just had a thought - I COULD DO IT!! I'm the right age, skinny, intense, can look a bit rough (well I do most of the time). However, I've got all my fingers.
He came dancing across the water...what a killer...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Hamako, you've gotta make sacrifices for your art.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

caamora wrote:I do too, Myste. I really like Kevin Spacey. I think he would be a good TC but I think he is too old for the part. Maybe he would be a better Hile Troy.
Now that's a superb idea. Spacey as Hile Troy--I can see that completely. If you'll forgive the expression. :D
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the idea of Guy Pearce, also.
Cable Seadreamer
Servant of the Land

Post by Cable Seadreamer »

Ioan Gruffudd, the fellow who plays Horatio Hornblower. He also played Launcelot in the recent "King Arthur" movie.

www.ioanonline.com/gallery/view_photo.p ... A_cap049_a
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Omigosh, I hadn't though of that! I LUUURVE him! Welcome to the Watch, Cable Seadreamer! :D
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Yeah, he is pretty cool.
Aranion
Stonedownor

Post by Aranion »

hamako wrote:Guy Pearce - gaunt enough, right age and would look like a fanatic with a raggy beard. OR Christian Bale - reprising his role in Reign of Fire.
EXCELLENT suggestion. Guy Pearce has the acting chops, good looks (mass audience appeal) and body type to play Covenent.

Funny Hile Troy casting note: waaaay back in the early 80s, when MTV was new, Tom Petty had a video for the song "You Got Lucky." One of the Heartbreakers wore wraparound sunglasses, and he's always been Hile Troy to me.
"There is nothing beautiful or sweet or great in life that is not mysterious."

--Francois Rene de Chateaubriand

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”