The passage that sticks...

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Lord Mhoram's eyes.
My favourite, IIRC, is

"Mhorams eyes crackled with a sudden visionary fire."
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
mystmaiden
Servant of the Land

scenes that stick

Post by mystmaiden »

<blush>
What does IIRC mean?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

If I Recall Correctly. :)

--A
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Ah, the rigours of message board lingo :lol: I remember, back in the day, trying to work out what LOL meant... I initially thought it was probably meant to be a picture of something, like a smiley :lol:
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

My $0.02:

Coercri... Covenant's caamora for the Dead Giants.

"Lord Mhoram's Victory"

Elena and Covenant on Rivenrock, right after he rejected her offer (and kissed away her tears)

Lord Mhoram at Gallows Howe, saying "Madness is not the only danger in dreams"

Pitchwife and the First at the Wightbarrow, saying how they would "hold and hold until the mountain itself is astonished"

Covenant rising "direly to his feet like a man who had lost no blood and could not be touched" at the Soothtell.

"I am Brinn. Will you set us free?"

Lena waking up and realizing that Covenant was not with her, and she "cried out piercingly" on their way to the Ramen covert

I can't list the Runes ones here, but they are not (for some reason) as powerful as the original six books.
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

How could I forget the one moment of the Second Chronicles that stuck in my mind as much as "Nom"?!

The moment in question is from White Gold Wielder, and it goes like this:
He could not go to her. He hardly knew where he might find enough strength to stand. And the Cavewights would not let him move. He had no way to combat them except with his ring - the wild magic he could not use. He and she were prisoners completely. And there was no name that either of them might call upon for rescue.

No name except the Despiser's.

Covenant hoped like madness that Lord Foul would act quickly.
That has always staggered me. That moment when, on the threshold of completing his plan, Covenant is thwarted by Cavewights - Cavewights! A smaller danger than most he has survived; but he has no way to fight, and no-one to help him - so he turns to Foul for salvation.

The mind boggles.
mitchell threndor
Servant of the Land

Post by mitchell threndor »

dlbpharmd wrote:"Nom"
I'll second "Nom" - that has to be the most exciting and dramatic sentence anyone's ever written with just 3 letters !

The other part I always remember is the poem that goes something like "with the one word of truth or treachery, he will save or damn the earth" - powerful writing
His eyes were chisels; when he spoke, each word fell distinctly, like a chip of granite.

Post by Avatar »

Always liked that one myself. And the one about the Appointed as well. And the song of the UnHomed.

--A

Post by Guest »

There are soooo many!!!!! I'll start with one of my favorite characters.

TOT – Nom defeating two Haruchai with hardly a scratch to show for it.

TOT - The second summoning of Nom – and how he shudders at the mastery of White Gold.
“Slowly, it appeared to understand that it had finally met a man able to destroy it. It stopped fighting. Its arms sank to its sides. Long quiverings ran through its muscles like anticipation of death…A moment later, the beast surprised him by sinking to the floor. Its quiverings grew stronger, then began to subside: Deliberately, the Sandgorgon touched its forehead to the stone near Covenant’s feet like an offer of service.”
WGW - The third summoning of Nom, how the trail of dust he leaves behind can be seen from such a great distance.
“…he saw a plume of dust rising through the haze. He did not doubt what it was. Nothing but a Sandgorgon could travel with enough swift strength to raise that much dust.”
WGW – Nom shattering the inner gates of Revelstone

WGW – Nom rending the Raver in the Hall of Gifts

I’m not partial to Nom or anything. :wink: There are many other scenes that do not involve this form of earthpower that is as pure, in its own way, as the Ranyhyn are in theirs.
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

I think Nom was powerful to me because I knew what he was going to say about 3 sentences before he said it and I was just waiting for him to say it.

Man that was great storytelling!
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

All of 'Lord Mhoram's Victory' but especially the bit when he realises that the krill has gone white again - nothing's gonna stop him then!

And in the Second Chronicles, for dramatic effect Nom rending the raver, but for pure imagery the whole way that the Giants interact with eachother and Starfares Gem.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I Dissected a few of my favorite parts. heh
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Grimm
Stonedownor

Post by Grimm »

One scene in particular that sticks, after all these years, is when Starfare's Gem is stuck in the ice, and Honninscrave (spelling?) has to leave his ship and crew to die.
"Well, jynnan tonnyx all around then."
Tranthalar
Servant of the Land

Post by Tranthalar »

Giants....my favorite

and my favorite lines are

"Hold, Giant!"

"Ware! Your life is forfeit here!"
*** Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread! ***
Trapper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Trapper »

While I was never as big a fan of the 2nd Chronicles as some here seem to be, I must say I was astonished to see that nobody had mentioned the Tales of Runnik and Tull from the Sarangrave Flat and "...the Fall of Lord Shetra".

That even a newish Bloodguard would fall victim to doubt, and the violent manner in which that was dealt with by senior Haruchai always stuck with me.

Also:

Hile Troy being dragged back feet-first over the parapets of Kevins Watch by the Bloodguard, not even realising that he had attempted the self-destruction Covenant craved upon seeing the sheer size of Fouls army...

Lord Mhoram in every way. Like Fingolfin in Tolkien mythology, but that momentary courage sustained for 47 years beyond all reason. His Victory coming when even he felt that it was pointless. The most magnificent act of valour in any Fantasy I have read.

Elena questioning while looking on the prescient artwork depicting that valour: "Where am I? Why am I not by his side?" (that's not verbatim, obviously)

Post by Avatar »

Good post Trapper, and welcome to the Watch. :D

--A
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

"Am I your queen then, Unbeliever?"

Unbelievably powerful.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Bannor: "I do not ride".

Cail: "For myself I do not desire such worth".
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Mouseglove
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mouseglove »

The quote that has stuck with me, for all it's dark beauty, is the line "The only way to hurt a man who has lost everything is to give him back something broken." There is such awareness, such poignant pain in that statement, that it haunts me to this day.
"Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil." -Mouseglove
Sandgorgon rider
Ramen

Post by Sandgorgon rider »

Two that seem to stick in my mind for some reason

In LFB when Trell repairs the stoneware pot and Covenant reflects
He felt he came from a very poor world where no one knew or cared about healing stoneware pots. He tried to tell himself that he was dreaming, but he did not want to listen
In TIW when Hile Troy confronts Covenant in the corridors of Revelstone after the singing of Lord Kevin's Lament trying to persuade him to fight for the Land
Troy: Sweet Jesus. Whatever happened to people who used to believe in things?

Covenant: They got leprosy and died. Weren't you listening to that song?

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”