Whos your favorite character...

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Sunder
Stonedownor

Post by Sunder »

High Lord Mhoram is my most definent favortie character. Just the way Donaldson portrays Mhoram just makes me love him.
And Bannor, Bannor so rocks. Just the way Bannor acts like so unemtional just really gets me. He was always there protecting Covenant like all the way.
Plus Sunder, i love the way Sunder just followed Covenant after he was persuaded. There is just something about Sunder I love alot.
"May Your Swords Stay Sharp!"

"Darkness withers the heart."

"If you desire to know the truth, you must also have the courge to accept it."
Roynish
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Roynish »

Bannor is simply a great character. Donaldson gives him enough emotion and contradiction to create this ridiculously stoic character.
The first introduction of Foamfollower is also of course sublime. His tolerance and the wisdom displayed sets up a remarkable friendship through out the first chronicles.
The way he handles Vain is stroke of genius. We never get to the mystery until the end. Surely he can somewhow come back with more vocabulary in the third.
Brinn of the Haruchai
Ramen

Post by Brinn of the Haruchai »

1st Chrons would hav to go with Bannor and Mhoram in a tie for first. I love the way each had their own definitive personality--very detailed and really the second series of books that I read in my life that gave characters life (after LOTR).
2nd Chrons well I beleive that the ID states it all---LOL I guess that I have an affinity for the Haruchai and their way of life.
I am who I am, Ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol. The Guardian of the One
Tree. Brinn of the Haruchai.
Stave
Stonedownor

Post by Stave »

Matrixman wrote:
Stave wrote:1st Chronicles: #1 would be Bannor even though he pissed me off
I'm intrigued! In what way did Bannor annoy you so much? I don't think I've heard anyone say that about ol' Bannor until now. Usually, it's Covenant who turns readers off (in the beginning, anyway). :P
Lol, I guess I should probably clarify that. Bannor was the ultimate character. He was unflinching in his resolve and a true hero. It is really just a joking jealousy. How come I'm not as cool as Bannor:p I definitely hated Covenant at the beginning, and it was Bannor's being so hard on him, in order to help him, that is what made me like him so much. Unfortunately, today's society focuses way too much on emotion, self esteem, and self confidence. I feel that pitying a person and making things easier for them just weakens them even more. By forcing a person to rise to the occasion and do things on their own, you not only show them that they are actually able to do it, but also, that you thought they could in the first place. That is what Bannor does for Covenant. He is a great example to others, what a punk, lol.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."~Mel Brooks
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Thanks, I see your point now, Stave. :)
steppy
Servant of the Land

Post by steppy »

definately vain, very closely followed by TC, how many other books have you read where the main character gets his spirit crushed so often!!! :-)
you're only jealous cos the little voices are talking to me!!!!
KAY1
Giantfriend

Post by KAY1 »

Personally I like Mhoram cos he just has it all really! Wisdom, power, kick ass fighting moves!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

KAY1 wrote:Personally I like Mhoram cos he just has it all really! Wisdom, power, kick ass fighting moves!
Kick ass fighting moves, eh? I didn't quite picture him as being so physical in combat, but hey, you might be right. Maybe he learned a move or two from the Bloodguard. :wink:
Man on Mowgli
Servant of the Land

Post by Man on Mowgli »

It has to be Bannor for me.
Nature is bountiful in the supply of fools
KAY1
Giantfriend

Post by KAY1 »

Well as someone else mentioned he did pretty well in TPTP when he rode out to fight the Giant Raver. He kicked quite a few people's asses on the way if I remember. Go Mhoram! heh heh
jimdwa
Servant of the Land

Post by jimdwa »

Was it Korik that was assigned to High Lord Prothall who was lost during the battle for the Staff of Law at the end of LFB? He grabbed the Staff to prevent Prothall from being struck and died in TC's lap. His last word was "true". His body was left in Drool's chamber when the wedge of ur-viles fell upon the Questers. He was never bourne to the Westron Mountains to the home of the Haruchai on the back of a Ranyhyn. He didn't have a big part and wasn't developed as a charcter, but I felt for him. One of my Favorite non-giant characters.
Your country and your family are to die for. Food is to eat - Martin Crane
KAY1
Giantfriend

Post by KAY1 »

That was Tuvor, First Mark of the Bloodguard.
jimdwa
Servant of the Land

Post by jimdwa »

KAY1 wrote:That was Tuvor, First Mark of the Bloodguard.
Of Course...Tuvor! Thank you.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

jimdwa wrote:Was it Korik that was assigned to High Lord Prothall who was lost during the battle for the Staff of Law at the end of LFB? He grabbed the Staff to prevent Prothall from being struck and died in TC's lap. His last word was "true". His body was left in Drool's chamber when the wedge of ur-viles fell upon the Questers. He was never bourne to the Westron Mountains to the home of the Haruchai on the back of a Ranyhyn. He didn't have a big part and wasn't developed as a charcter, but I felt for him. One of my Favorite non-giant characters.
He was also one of my favourite Characters!
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

A very moving scene from LFB, jimdwa. I'm at work so I don't have the book on me, but I seem to recall that Tuvor said the word "true" as a question directed at Covenant. I was moved by SRD's description of Covenant trying to extricate himself from Tuvor's corpse, something like "even in death, the Bloodguard's fidelity was too much for Covenant."

Any ideas on what Tuvor meant when he said "True?" to Covenant?
jimdwa
Servant of the Land

Post by jimdwa »

Matrixman wrote:Any ideas on what Tuvor meant when he said "True?" to Covenant?
I always just thought it was the "be true" theme that is seen throughout. Shortened because he is an exhausted dying soldier. Until now though. Now I wonder...
KAY1
Giantfriend

Post by KAY1 »

Prothall or someone had said to Tuvor that they had got past some obstacle or someone was safe, I can't remember exactly what; then Tuvor said to Covenant 'True?' for confirmation.
jimdwa
Servant of the Land

Post by jimdwa »

KAY1 wrote:Prothall or someone had said to Tuvor that they had got past some obstacle or someone was safe, I can't remember exactly what; then Tuvor said to Covenant 'True?' for confirmation.
It was something like " I have freed the moon" when Prothal had finally gotten the Staff of Law from Drool. That happened in the same scene. That could be what Tuvor meant. He knew then that the Quest had been successful and he could let go and die.
Kaos Arcanna
Ramen

Post by Kaos Arcanna »

First Chronicles, it has to be Saltheart
Foamfollower. Remember how gently he
carried Covenant when Drool was tracing
him by Covenant's boots?

Everyone should have a friend like that.

Second Chronicles, I liked Sunder a lot.
You really get a sense of the man's
tragedy... and the fact that he was able
to hang onto so much of his humanity
in spite of his dreadful duties to the
Stonedown ...

Third Chronicles, I'm not sure I have a
favorite yet. Cail's boy is really getting
on my nerves though ...
PillarofCreation
Servant of the Land

Post by PillarofCreation »

Saltheart Foamfollower. He gave up everything, including his life in the Hotash Slay, albeit he was resurrected as the Pure One. He loved Covenant in a way that every friend should love and respect each other. It is said that the greatest love is the ability to die for a friend.
Be true, not only to thyself but to others, for no matter how they may assault you remember this: there is still love in the world.

visit my site: https://aquaithprodigy.gwgaming.net

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”