President Hillary

Archive From The 'Tank
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

dlbpharmd wrote:I don't see a Republican out there who can beat her in 2016.
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Given the historic opportunity to elect our first female president, people will choose that over substance.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Cail wrote:
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Given the historic opportunity to elect our first female president, people will choose that over substance.
Cail, is there a particularly substantive Republican candidate that you think will run?

I personally don't want anyone named Clinton or Bush in the White House myself.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

rdhopeca wrote:
Cail wrote:
Cail, is there a particularly substantive Republican candidate that you think will run?

I personally don't want anyone named Clinton or Bush in the White House myself.
I'm not thrilled with the field on either side. Problem is, there are so precious few moderates from either party, and none of them would get any substantive support from the parties themselves or from the media.

At this point I would support anyone who runs on ending the Endless War, restoring the 4th Amendment, and pledging not to use a single executive order or signing statement.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It's way too early to tell, but I'd consider voting for Rand Paul over Hillary. His economic policies would be a tough pill to swallow and I'd be leery of any Supreme Court nominations he put up, but otherwise... I'd certainly listen.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

SoulBiter wrote:Depending on who you talk to, NAFTA either had no real impact, or had a net impact of losing manufacturing but replacing those with service jobs, OR it established the principle that U.S. corporations could relocate production elsewhere and sell back into the United States, undercutting the bargaining power of American workers.
I placed the correct assessment in boldface for you. NAFTA was a big gimme to Big Corporations. It also gave piles of money to Mexican industrialists who helped bring factories to Mexico but it knocked the front teeth out of Mexican farmers.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Return to “Coercri”