The GAP filmed!

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

no, Spacey would be superb for Vector - round face, calm eyes

Angus: Ron Perlman (I don't know if he can act well enough)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Oh Amy! Ron Perlman is perfect! :D :D He's big and dumb looking, but I think he could pull it off without breaking a sweat. He can do tough guy grunt (Alien Ressurection), mentally challenged (The Name of the Rose) and conflict/inner turmoil (City of Lost Children, Beauty and the Beast) with equal ease. I love this guy! 8)
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Byrn
Giantfriend

Post by Byrn »

I'm iffy on Pearlman. I'm gonna go see Hellboy this weekend. IF he can pull that off, I could accept him as Angus.

I still think Baldwin is perfect.
"What is the land to air speed ratio of a laden swallow?"
https://www.noiraqdraft.com/impact.php? ... a211109cb0
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Yeah, Baldwin would be good.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Perlman can definitely act well, but Angus is a huge challenge. I don't think there are many actors who could meet it.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I agree, Joy. he is one of the most complex characters in a book.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Dutch
Stonedownor

I love this kinda discussion

Post by Dutch »

I see Angus played by John Goodman. I'm sorry. I just can't picture anyone else. Did John have skinny legs?

I see The Bill played by Michael Jeter (Green Mile). If you wanna get surreal and funny, Jim Carrey or Adam Sandler with a shaved head. If I recall, the Bill was sorta loud and spastic, wasn't he?

Morn played by Jeri Ryan or the gal who plays T'Pal on Enterprise (someone here mentioned Jeri Ryan, and I'd agree on that part). I'd say Darryl Hannah, but I'm not sure if she's of the right age anymore.

Brent Spiner as Hashi Lebwhol.

Robin Williamas as Vector Shaheed.

Michael Jeter or Harry Dean Stanton (both in The Green Mile) would probably make a good Milos Taverner.

Michael Clarke Duncan (ALSO in Green Mile and Armageddon) would probably make a good Dolph Ubikwe, except he'd need a beard and some head hair. And more of a belly.

Warden Dios? That's a toughie...Russell Crowe? Maybe? OH! Perhaps Clancy Brown. It'd be great to see him in this role as an intense good guy.

Holt Fasner...maybe James Cromwell (also Green Mile) would work well. If not he, maybe John Malkovich? Yes? No? Maybe? :)

I read someone once mentioning Jude Law (Gattaca, A.I, Sky Captain) as Nick Succorso. I'd agree with that one as well.

Hm...I can't seem to think of any others.... Anyone have any opinions on my choice actors? :)

-Dutch
David "Dutch" K.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

After watching Pitch Black again the other day, I've come to the conclusion that Cole Hauser would make a good Nick Succorso. He's about the right age, good looking and even has the same accent I'd imagined Nick to have (I gave Nick a slight southern drawl, against all logic, being as he grew up on a space station).

I'm a fan of Ron Perlman, but I'm not sure if he quite captures the savagery of Angus' character for me. Maybe that's me subconsciously remembering his Beauty and the Beast days. On that note, I'm sure a role could be found for Linda Hamilton in a Gap movie. Sorus maybe.

Having seen Kill Bill, I reckon Darryl Hannah (with dyed hair, of course) would be good as Min.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Re: I love this kinda discussion

Post by A Gunslinger »

A Gunslinger wrote:
Dutch wrote:I see Angus played by John Goodman. I'm sorry. I just can't picture anyone else. Did John have skinny legs?

I see The Bill played by Michael Jeter (Green Mile). If you wanna get surreal and funny, Jim Carrey or Adam Sandler with a shaved head. If I recall, the Bill was sorta loud and spastic, wasn't he?

Morn played by Jeri Ryan or the gal who plays T'Pal on Enterprise (someone here mentioned Jeri Ryan, and I'd agree on that part). I'd say Darryl Hannah, but I'm not sure if she's of the right age anymore.

Brent Spiner as Hashi Lebwhol.

Robin Williamas as Vector Shaheed.

Micheal Jeter is dead. Died last year, unfortunately!

Michael Jeter or Harry Dean Stanton (both in The Green Mile) would probably make a good Milos Taverner.

Michael Clarke Duncan (ALSO in Green Mile and Armageddon) would probably make a good Dolph Ubikwe, except he'd need a beard and some head hair. And more of a belly.

Warden Dios? That's a toughie...Russell Crowe? Maybe? OH! Perhaps Clancy Brown. It'd be great to see him in this role as an intense good guy.

Holt Fasner...maybe James Cromwell (also Green Mile) would work well. If not he, maybe John Malkovich? Yes? No? Maybe? :)

I read someone once mentioning Jude Law (Gattaca, A.I, Sky Captain) as Nick Succorso. I'd agree with that one as well.

Hm...I can't seem to think of any others.... Anyone have any opinions on my choice actors? :)

-Dutch
Micheal Jeter is dead. He died last year. Apprerently my last reply did not have this tidgbit...sorry for double-posting.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I wish Christopher Walken was younger--a younger version is always, somehow, Milos to me... :?
fall far and well Pilots!
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Nav wrote:After watching Pitch Black again the other day, I've come to the conclusion that Cole Hauser would make a good Nick Succorso.

I'm a fan of Ron Perlman, but I'm not sure if he quite captures the savagery of Angus' character for me. Maybe that's me subconsciously remembering his Beauty and the Beast days. On that note, I'm sure a role could be found for Linda Hamilton in a Gap movie. Sorus maybe.
I give Linda Hamilton the Min Donner role. Cole Hauser turns my stomach in both the roles I've seen him play, so I can't see him as the charmer that Nick's superficial persona requires.

I'm not leaving the outstanding Pitch Black "out of the light," though. I see Radha Mitchell as a potential Mikka.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I thought that the Johns character in Pitch Black had a lot in common with Nick: the outward facade of the hard-bitten lawman hiding the reality of the scumbag, junky, bounty-hunter.

As much as I like Radha Mitchell, I'm not sure she has the physical presence to play Mikka. I quite fancy Jeanne Tripplehorn in that role.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Tranquil Hegemony
Woodhelvennin

Post by Tranquil Hegemony »

I think the actress who played Lilith on Cheers would be perfect as Min Donner. Especially now that she's a bit older. Do her hair like Lilith and you're done:

Conformity of purpose will be achieved through mutual satisfaction of requirements.
Penner Theologius Pott

casting

Post by Penner Theologius Pott »

It's interesting to me that so many people are choosing gorgeous, attractive young men for the role of Angus, who is described as being physically hideous, a kind of bloated toad of a man. Is this because people are just so accustomed to seeing beautiful people in Hollywood movies, or do people really visualize Angus as being somehow attractive?

As for Nick -- when I first started reading the books, I visualized him as kind of an Errol Flynn. But then I realized, hey, the point is that he *chooses to see himself as* Errol Flynn, right? It might be interesting to see a more physically unattractive actor -- perhaps someone shorter, more vulnerable looking -- swaggering around like a swashbuckling Texan, no?

Maybe I'm just sick of seeing beautiful people onscreen. Woody Allen once complained that whenever he went looking for male American actors, there were only one or two "types" with very little variation. So true.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I don't think everybody would choose beautiful actors for Angus' role. See my vote for Ron Perlman - not yer typical WASP beauty for sure. And a good actor. I really liked him in The Name of the Rose.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Dutch
Stonedownor

Well, now...

Post by Dutch »

And I don't think John Goodman would be on the front cover of Playgirl, either. Not really an UH-GLY guy, but give him some severe five o'clock shadow, dirt, grime and alot fo sweat, and there you go. Angus.

"'Course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." -Dennis Miller

-Dutch
www.mistythemouse.com
David "Dutch" K.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Well, now...

Post by variol son »

Stephen R. Donaldson wrote:Sigourney Weaver would be good at Sorus Chatelaine--but she would also handle Min Donner well. Personally, I would prefer Anthony Hopkins for Vector Shaheed--that is, if he refuses to play Warden Dios. I think there are several black actors who would be good at Dolph Ubikwe--but the names I want have suddenly fallen out of my head (except for the always stellar Morgan Freeman). And of course who but Vin Diesel could play Angus?
So, what do you have to say about that? :D

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

8O
fall far and well Pilots!
Dutch
Stonedownor

Well...

Post by Dutch »

I'm goin' out on a limb here: I know SRD wrote it but...I still don't agree. Sigourney as Sorus? Yes, I can see that. Vin Diesel as Angus? No. I just can't see it. (Sorry, Stephen) Mr. Diesel hasn't got a frog face, isn't fat and is not very loud, and last I checked his eyes were silvery, not yellow. ;) I'm just going by what I read in the text. No, really! :)
But it is said, it's really up to the readers to visualize what they read. So my opinion isn't any more or less valid than someone else's, even the writer's. *smile*

-Dutch

www.mistythemouse.com
David "Dutch" K.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Vin Diesel for Angus is one I suggested myself, while granting that my ideal would be Russell Crowe. I like the idea of having the same person play Angus and Davies, and I think Crowe would be better at that.

I think SRD is right about Anthony Hopkins for Vector Shaheed. It never occurred to me that Vector could be so old, but there's no reason he couldn't be, and Hopkins could certainly give Vector the contradiction between internal and external that he needs.

Return to “The Gap Series”