What Film Moment is your Favourite?

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Matrixman wrote:Fellowship of the Ring -- Boromir's last stand and Aragorn's heroics. A moving sequence with muted sound and sorrowful music, punctuated by the thud of the Urukhai's arrows striking Boromir. Then Aragorn stops the Urukhai from finishing off Boromir, they fight, and Aragorn beheads the creature. That felt very good.
On opening night, the audience at my local theater clapped after Aragorn cut Lurtz's head off. I've seen people clap AFTER a movie but NEVER during a scene like that. You could really just feel the emotion spilling out of the screen and the speakers and twisting the crap out of you.

I'll never forget that night, to be sure; perhaps the most memorable moment of 2001 for me (I was/am an LOTR geek).
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Lord Foul wrote:
Matrixman wrote:Fellowship of the Ring -- Boromir's last stand and Aragorn's heroics. A moving sequence with muted sound and sorrowful music, punctuated by the thud of the Urukhai's arrows striking Boromir. Then Aragorn stops the Urukhai from finishing off Boromir, they fight, and Aragorn beheads the creature. That felt very good.
On opening night, the audience at my local theater clapped after Aragorn cut Lurtz's head off. I've seen people clap AFTER a movie but NEVER during a scene like that. You could really just feel the emotion spilling out of the screen and the speakers and twisting the crap out of you.

I'll never forget that night, to be sure; perhaps the most memorable moment of 2001 for me (I was/am an LOTR geek).
This is one of those things which I truly do ency the American public for, their passion. I mean we got none of that... all that happened during that scene while I was watching the film is somebody gave a small cough, and then 200 people harshly saying "shhhh!!!" at that person....

I do agree with you both Matrixman and Lord Foul, that was an amazing moment. :)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Lord Foul wrote:On opening night, the audience at my local theater clapped after Aragorn cut Lurtz's head off.
When I saw two towers, the audience laughed so hard when golumn did his talking-to-himself scene I couldn't hear the first half of it. Damn shame; it was sad, not comical. I guess audience participation cuts both ways.

BTW, Borimer's death scene: awesome. Borimer's death scene music (Amon Hen, the Fellowship Soundtrack): awesome as well. The music soooo made that scene. We were left tottering after Gandalf fell; this one knocks us down.
dlbpharmd wrote:struggles to remember opening of Two Towers, fails
Zounds! I am wounded!

Awesomeness: opens with perhaps the most memorable score in the trilogy beginning; it effortlessly reconnects us to the previous movie (a significant task); and then it goes Jacksonesque, giving us the best old-guy-vs-demon battle on film; the cinematography that brings us, litterally, from peaks to the lake in the depths of the earth (very, very deep); the transition for Frodo and Sam - "I don't think Gandalf meant for a lot of things, Sam". A side of Gandalf we never knew about is scene, setting up a suspicion that Gandalf might be back. In other words, it effortlessly solves such an enormous task and is darn entertaining to boot.
Prom_STar
Bloodguard

Post by Prom_STar »

Memorable Film Moments

SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OF PEOPLE!!!!

Need I say more?
Was auch immer komm, dieses weiß ich für sicher:
Ich bin zurückgekauft.

Wenn Diamanten reichlich war, würden sie keinen Wert haben. Echter Wert kommt nich aus schönheit--er kommt aus seltenheit.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Wayfriend wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:struggles to remember opening of Two Towers, fails
Zounds! I am wounded!
Medic! Medic! Wait--I'm wounded too! Who could forget such opening greatness?! :faint:
Wayfriend wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:On opening night, the audience at my local theater clapped after Aragorn cut Lurtz's head off.
When I saw two towers, the audience laughed so hard when golumn did his talking-to-himself scene I couldn't hear the first half of it. Damn shame; it was sad, not comical. I guess audience participation cuts both ways.
Truly! "Oh, my friend and I are going to talk during the entire movie and say asinine things." And of course, there's the parents who bring in loud kids that always have to react like Neanderthals. "MOM IS HE DEAD MOM OH SPIDER MOM." Although, their open honesty can often prove amusing. At the end of FOTR, for example, a little kid in front of me remarked, "That music sounds like Titanic."
Revan wrote:This is one of those things which I truly do ency the American public for, their passion. I mean we got none of that... all that happened during that scene while I was watching the film is somebody gave a small cough, and then 200 people harshly saying "shhhh!!!" at that person....
My history professor says that the British people have become less civil, of late. I hope that's not true! I'm going over there this May, ya know; hopefully I won't get mugged or something. ;)
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Awesomeness: opens with perhaps the most memorable score in the trilogy beginning; it effortlessly reconnects us to the previous movie (a significant task); and then it goes Jacksonesque, giving us the best old-guy-vs-demon battle on film; the cinematography that brings us, litterally, from peaks to the lake in the depths of the earth (very, very deep); the transition for Frodo and Sam - "I don't think Gandalf meant for a lot of things, Sam". A side of Gandalf we never knew about is scene, setting up a suspicion that Gandalf might be back. In other words, it effortlessly solves such an enormous task and is darn entertaining to boot
I do remember now!
You know, that was a damn fine scene, and Andy Serkis was simply outstanding.....I STILL say he deserved an Oscar nomination for his work in LOTR.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Lord Foul wrote:for example, a little kid in front of me remarked, "That music sounds like Titanic."

how astute of the child. :twisted:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

One of my faves is the scene where Vader looks alternately at Luke and Palpatine several times then picks up the slimy old bastard and throws him down the shaft.It works on several levels.The scenes in Slingblade just befor and just after Karl whacks Doyle with the lawnmower blade are two of my favorites also,something like this:"I just killed Doyle Hargroves with a lawnmower blade","yea,I'm sure he's dead,I hit him 2 (3)? good whacks with it,second one near cut his head in two".I have never seen another movie that is that sad,and that funny at the same time.
Last edited by Sunbaneglasses on Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Sunbaneglasses wrote:One of my faves is the scene where Vader looks alternately at Luke and Palpatine several times then picks up the slimy old bastard and throws him down the shaft.It works on several levels.The scenes in Slingblade just befor and just after Karl whacks Doyle with the lawnmower blade are two of my favorites also,something like this:"I just killed Doyle Hargroves with a lawnmower blade","yea,I'm sure he's dead,I hit him 2 (3)? good whacks with it,second one near cut his head in two".I have never seen another movie that is so sad,and so funny at the same time.
good call, Shades. Thornton is excellent in this.

but i have to go to the guilty pleasures thread for another Thornton film i like even better... :biggrin:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Philidelphia -- The opera scene...

"Live still.

I am life,
I am oblivion,
I am the God that comes down from the Heavens to the Earth and makes of the Earth a Heaven...

I am Love..."
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Fine mention of Swingblade, shades! (cool nickname for you, BTW :D )

I love when Thornton tries to re-tell the joke that he heard from the mechanics, it cracks me up everytime I watch that movie:
They's these two men standin' on a bridge a'goin' to the bathroom. One man says the water's cold. The other man says the water's deep. I believe they's from Arkansas.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the '78 remake. At the end, when Brooke Adams is walking around and sees Donald Sutherland (her husband). She calls his name, he turns around, and begins this inhuman squealing.

Chills, I tell 'ya.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Cail wrote:Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the '78 remake. At the end, when Brooke Adams is walking around and sees Donald Sutherland (her husband). She calls his name, he turns around, and begins this inhuman squealing.

Chills, I tell 'ya.
Wow. Did you see my post earlier in this thread saying the exact same thing about the movie? :)

Creepiest movie moment ever. I'm serious.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

'It's a 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.'
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

That's a good one Wayfriend.

I must've missed your post Loremaster. It's a great movie all the way around, but the ending is just killer.

Edit-Heh, I just looked back at your post LM. I must've scanned right over it the first time I read it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Cail wrote:That's a good one Wayfriend.

I must've missed your post Loremaster. It's a great movie all the way around, but the ending is just killer.

Edit-Heh, I just looked back at your post LM. I must've scanned right over it the first time I read it.
The ending is phenomenal. One of the best horror movies ever made.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

"Aloha, Mr. Hand."
"Aloha, Spicoli."
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Props to Cail for the IOTBS remake, I'm a big fan of the original so my favorite scene was when Kevin McCarthy splashed up on the windshield
and shouted his warning! 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

I am not really religious at all,but I love the scene from The Apostle where Billy Bob Thorntons character is talked into 'coming over' by Robert Duvalls character.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

danlo wrote:Props to Cail for the IOTBS remake, I'm a big fan of the original so my favorite scene was when Kevin McCarthy splashed up on the windshield
and shouted his warning! 8)
That was a great moment. I recall in the director's commentary that was supposed to be a link to the 50s original - as though the invasion had started then.

Return to “Flicks”